I might be getting off the Axe-Fx train

I get that you're disappointed that you asked for a feature, got it, and decided it wasn't up to your specifications? Without trying it?

This sounds like it's way more machine than you'd need in the first place.

Yes, because I can tell how the UI works on the front panel just by looking at pics. I can see the drawbacks just from screenshots as I did when I got the Axe-Fx 2. I'm writing a software to fix this sort of adjustment issue for my Axe-Fx 2 as we speak but was ultimately hoping that the Axe-Fx 3 hardware would solve it instead so I would not need a middleman software. I hope to eventually release my program so others might give it a try too as I feel it makes adjustment on the fly really easy.

And yes, the Axe-Fx 3 is WAY too much machine for me. It will be interesting to see if Fractal can make it sound noticeably better than the 2.

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you'll never please all of the people all of the time. There are always going to be naysayers and detractors that will criticize regardless of personal experience. Not to mention those whose agenda is to cast negativity on a product they don't even use or own an another brand.

Pardon me but some people are.....,,??!! If you don't want it don't buy it. If you don't like the new features don't buy it. I'm for sure buying one. Those of you that comment on selling your axe 2 and looking for something else better good luck with that one. Also those who are complaining about the Mfc not working with the axe 3 showing the names of patches etc its new technology people. Try sticking a lightning cable into an iPhone 1. I have never seen such a large group of complainers in my life.
Thank you Cliff. You have my business!!!

I wonder how much cheaper they could build a studio-only version, with all the same IO and DSP power, but just a plain black front panel with NO screen, knobs or buttons, just a power switch. Do everything through Axe-Edit.
I would be fine with that - panel navigation to me is secondary to the editor though I'm really comfortable navigating the Axe ii by front panel - for me, minimal panel functionality is only needed in exception situations where a computer is not available - except for the tuner - I like a nice tuner display (I am happy with the Axe II tuner screen - can't wait to see the new one).

I don't get how front panel is a deal breaker/maker on a rack unit with a good remote editor available. (lol! - I have an eventide H9 which I love and use in depth via usb and midi - but I've never had, and still don't have (nor care to have) a clue how the front panel of that pedal even works).

I don't get how front panel is a deal breaker/maker on a rack unit with a good remote editor available. (lol! - I have an eventide H9 which I love and use in depth via usb and midi - but I've never had, and still don't have (nor care to have) a clue how the front panel of that pedal even works).
I believe 90% of it is a case jumping on the UI bandwagon. The rest is simply defending another product that comes short in other more important areas.

I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that more than half of those who are complaining have never used a Fractal product and another 25% have never used any other brand at all. Forums are filled with people who just like hear their own voice (or see their own comments in computer vernacular) and really have no clue what they're talking about.

I tried a Helix out of curiosity.
For me, I use the PC editors so the interface on the hardware not a big deal.

The determining factor is always the sound. I like Axe FX XL better by a fair margin.

This sounds like an ergonomics issue.

If you are having issues hitting the knob when reaching for the buttons below it, you need to raise the unit to somewhere closer to eye height.
Some amps have controls that are a pain in the butt to use, until you put them on a full stack and bam- instantly they are a pleasure to use.

Raise the unit, your fingers won't hit the knob. True story.

I care not a whit for Line 6, but I do think Headrush at least got ONE thing right: the ability to use an expression pedal to control the value knob so You can adjust a parameter WHILE I USE BOTH HANDS TO PLAY THE F’ING GUITAR! C’mon, Cliff - how hard can it be to assign a CC to a shaft encoder?

It’s a Good Thing that Axe-Edit is free, b/c the black-on-black front panel of my XL+ is so elegantly useless. Black-on-Black next to Black, surrounded by The Blackest Black - it might work for Spinal Tap, but not for me. Perhaps some day iaresee will enlighten me as to where I can source some colored replacement button caps...

@touch33 I recommend colored electrical or duct tape. Replacing the keys on it, especially with anything other than black, would be exceptionally difficult.

I see you’re blasting that Mostly Wrong thing to a higher orbit tonight - why not a fingernail file and some crayons? As it is, my XL+ front panel reminds me of a Sony dvd remote: black buttons laid out evenly on a black field with gray text. How useful! How intuitive! Said nobody ever.

I haven’t gone all “warranty void” just yet so I’m only guessing here, but all of those black thingies sure feel like caps on top of either pcb post switches or smd’s. I know back in the ‘70’s Lexicon et. al figured out how to order them in different colors instead of channeling the departed spirit of Henry Ford.

How can the front panel of something that sounds SO good be such a PITA to navigate? Like I said - it’s a Good Thing that Axe-Edit is a freebie.

I believe 90% of it is a case jumping on the UI bandwagon.

Hanging your hat on superb audio quality is great - but so is creating an intuitive and inviting UI. If your major market is rock stars with techs then it’s OK to ignore making small changes (with little/no cost) so your box is easier to learn/operate. I wonder how many more FXIII’s might scoot out the door were they easier to walk up to and operate.

In Sales we always try to get the shopper to touch the controls, play with the device, get hooked on it. It’s called “transfer of ownership” and an intuitive interface helps - a lot. And just b/c FAS sells factory-direct doesn’t mean that prospective buyers don’t lay hands on one out in the Real World before their minds get made up.

Back
Top Bottom