I messed up my firmware update...

pharmd07

Experienced
So I just did something royally stupid. I was updating my AxeFx II to Quantum 2.0 and I wasn't paying close attention (my mind is tired). I accidentally shut down my AxeFx II as it was updating, and now it won't boot at all.

I guess I'll be contacting support tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure if anyone else knows if there is anything I can do.

I tried holding recall while booting. Still boots to a blank screen and the LEDs are frozen. But thanks for the suggestion.

I think I need a recovery ROM. I've sent an e-mail to support.

I feel really, monumentally stupid. I hit the power switch during the programming phase of the firmware update. I don't know why, other than my mind is tired after getting home from work.

If it's an XL or XL+ you can access the emergency bootrom by holding down the page buttons while powering on.

Need the boot rom then I believe... cheap fix, contact support or it's on the parts page of the store.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate how quickly everyone has chimed in with help and info.

Yup, support has been contacted. I'm glad to hear the ROM is an inexpensive fix.

Support got back to me FAST! My recovery ROM has been ordered. It was only $5.00. Thanks to Charlie in support for his quick response!

I fix other people's mistakes for a living, so I feel like a moron when I screw something up and have to get someone to fix my mistakes. But I'm glad FAS support is there to help, and I greatly appreciate it.

Also, thanks to everyone that chimed in this thread.

So for all us Mk1 or Mk2 guys if you screw up you need to order a replacement, wait for delivery then open up your Axe and remove the old ROM/install new one? (observing static discharge precautions of course) Better be careful guys:(
Big advantage having an XL or XL+

No need to remove old ROM, it's an empty PLCC32 socket there for the backup eprom. (I guess a 27C010 goes in there)

Need the boot rom then I believe... cheap fix, contact support or it's on the parts page of the store.
Anyone have a link to this page? I can't see it, but it's probably somewhere obvious. I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand - often update within days of a gig, and would like to be prepared for a disaster.

Anyone have a link to this page? I can't see it, but it's probably somewhere obvious. I wouldn't mind having a spare on hand - often update within days of a gig, and would like to be prepared for a disaster.
Yes. How do we order one in Australia? Never seen it in the Independent Music Store. I'd like to know the answer to this.

Here is the link to the parts page:

http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Parts_p/svc-parts1.htm

Click on the drop down menu, you'll see the AxeFx II Recovery Boot ROM for $5. There are plenty of useful replacement parts on that page.

I placed my order yesterday morning, the ROM shipped a couple hours later, and it should arrive at my house on Thursday. That's fast service. I'm not worried about installing the ROM. I started modifying and building PCs when I was 8, so this should be an easy fix.

Here is the link to the parts page:

http://shop.fractalaudio.com/Parts_p/svc-parts1.htm

Click on the drop down menu, you'll see the AxeFx II Recovery Boot ROM for $5. There are plenty of useful replacement parts on that page.

I placed my order yesterday morning, the ROM shipped a couple hours later, and it should arrive at my house on Thursday. That's fast service. I'm not worried about installing the ROM. I started modifying and building PCs when I was 8, so this should be an easy fix.
That link takes you to the main FAS site but if you try to order anything from there you get bumped "Sorry - USA/Canada only" .
Guess you'll have to deal with your local area Distributor for any parts.

Back
Top Bottom