I made a response to Rhett Shull's video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is so negative about everything nowadays. Instead of focusing on the positives, everyone focuses on the negatives. The Axe-Fx is arguably the greatest guitar processor ever made yet some people feel they have to focus on any little thing they can find wrong with it.

Instead of "Wow, check this really cool patch I just made", it's instead "well, yeah, it sounds great and all but when you choose a preset from the preset page it doesn't go back to the home page." FWIW, it used to go back to the home page but people complained so we made it stay on that page.

I don't know Rhett Shull from a clove of garlic. He seems like a good player but the whole video smacks of click-bait and generating Youtube views. I suppose a video that showcases patch development and great sounds wouldn't generate as much revenue. Sad state of affairs but more a reflection on what a bitter society we've become. I blame the social media companies because they've fostered this. It's like a car wreck. People can't help but look and Faceboob and Youboob exploit this.
Nailed it....so glad I grew up in a totally different time. One would think the ability to be connected instantly socially would cause us to evolve in some fashion...instead it's fostered a moral and social devolution into an orwellian dystopia.

Gotta say, after this pewpstorm brewed, I took my AxeIII off my desk and moved it to the other side of the room, next to my stack of amps and pedals. Popped it on a little table. And I've been deliberately forcing myself to use the front panel and not the editor.

Man.... it's a piece of piss. And it's enjoyable to use too. Part of this is how clear the screen looks because of the high-def colour display. Part of it is a sort of relief that I'm not dealing with a load of windows on a computer screen. Part of it is that I just don't need to go to most of the sub tabs to make the amps sound good.

I don't even have my own personal library of blocks yet, but once I do, I can imagine it would be even easier to put stuff together.

My one criticism really is the tools page for the layout - I don't see why the move left/right/down/up functionality couldn't be baked into the main page. I'm sure there's a way to make that work.

Gotta say, after this pewpstorm brewed, I took my AxeIII off my desk and moved it to the other side of the room, next to my stack of amps and pedals. Popped it on a little table. And I've been deliberately forcing myself to use the front panel and not the editor.

Man.... it's a piece of piss. And it's enjoyable to use too. Part of this is how clear the screen looks because of the high-def colour display. Part of it is a sort of relief that I'm not dealing with a load of windows on a computer screen. Part of it is that I just don't need to go to most of the sub tabs to make the amps sound good.

I don't even have my own personal library of blocks yet, but once I do, I can imagine it would be even easier to put stuff together.

My one criticism really is the tools page for the layout - I don't see why the move left/right/down/up functionality couldn't be baked into the main page. I'm sure there's a way to make that work.
Just to be clear, "piece of piss" is a good thing? (;-)

The more I read threads like these the more I despair. Why are people so angry that someone you don't know said something negative about a product you also own? Why are people so invested in a product they feel the need to make a 15 minute video saying 'well ackchyually it's really simple Rhett!

Someone disliking the Axe FX is not a personal attack on you. Some people really need to hear that.

Genuinely, things like this drive casual users or newbies away and give this forum the reputation it has externally.

Perhaps nobody is angry or "invested" in the product. Perhaps the explanation is as simple as when people see a product they own/use misrepresented in a "review" by an influencer with a somewhat sizable subscriber base that they feel a need to speak up and say something.

I'd argue these "influencers" likely do a much better job at potentially steering casual users/newbies away with their clickbait headlines and half-assed reviews of the products they've been sent than this forum does. And rest assured, every product forum has the same reputation externally in regards to its users/members.

I blame the social media companies because they've fostered this. It's like a car wreck. People can't help but look and Faceboob and Youboob exploit this.
Totally agree. Plus, society is attracted to drama and negativitiy. I've seen videos from a few YouTuber that mention how they basically have to make click bait thumbnails and titles and make them negative. More people click on negative titles and thumbnails. Love him or hate him, Finn Mckenty (Punk Rock MBA) has stated numerous times that if his videos have a positive title, they perform poorly, but he can change the title/thumbnail and views will take off. That's why all his videos have cringey click bait titles and thumbnails while he can sound more "on the fence" or wish-washy opinion-wise in his actual videos.

Totally agree. Plus, society is attracted to drama and negativitiy. I've seen videos from a few YouTuber that mention how they basically have to make click bait thumbnails and titles and make them negative. More people click on negative titles and thumbnails. Love him or hate him, Finn Mckenty (Punk Rock MBA) has stated numerous times that if his videos have a positive title, they perform poorly, but he can change the title/thumbnail and views will take off. That's why all his videos have cringey click bait titles and thumbnails while he can sound more "on the fence" or wish-washy opinion-wise in his actual videos.
popular as clickbait titles may be with society, I still think they are just plain stupid - and regularly unsubscribe from channels that play such games too much- guess I'm just wierd - imo people need to start speaking up for, and voting for common sense with their $ + clicks - otherwise we're all ... Surely there's still a market for well communicated facts

Last edited:
It's probably a bit OT, but companies like Fractal, Line6, et. al.... they have the power. Just share users videos and change the culture. I did an hour long sound demonstration of the Source Audio Ventris pedal, years ago now. It racked up 20k views because not only is it a great pedal, I went through every engine and thoroughly demoed them, and Source Audio put it on their website and socials.

If all we're fed is the negativity and the "I want to capitalize on people's need for drama" then that's all we're ever gonna want. Same as McDonald's and KFC... they put something in it I swear!

I think a million views is between 4-6k or so, meaning this video out a week has netted 3-400 bucks (so far) in his pocket. For 3-400 bucks Im fully available to take a piece of gear, not learn how to use it in over 2 years and post a review about all I didn't learn. How can this possibly miss?

popular as clickbait titles may be with society, I still think they are just plain stupid - and regularly unsubscribe from channels that play such games too much- guess I'm just wierd - imo people need to start speaking up for, and voting for common sense with their $ + clicks - otherwise we're all ... Surely there's still a market for well communicated facts

Yup. We can take our .0000003 cents per view and offer it to someone else. :)

Everyone is so negative about everything nowadays. Instead of focusing on the positives, everyone focuses on the negatives. The Axe-Fx is arguably the greatest guitar processor ever made yet some people feel they have to focus on any little thing they can find wrong with it.

Instead of "Wow, check this really cool patch I just made", it's instead "well, yeah, it sounds great and all but when you choose a preset from the preset page it doesn't go back to the home page." FWIW, it used to go back to the home page but people complained so we made it stay on that page.

I don't know Rhett Shull from a clove of garlic. He seems like a good player but the whole video smacks of click-bait and generating Youtube views. I suppose a video that showcases patch development and great sounds wouldn't generate as much revenue. Sad state of affairs but more a reflection on what a bitter society we've become. I blame the social media companies because they've fostered this. It's like a car wreck. People can't help but look and Faceboob and Youboob exploit this.

Rhett did do a live stream featuring the Axe-FX this past autumn (2021). I watched it while it streamed live.
He had people that are more familiar with the Axe-FX III chiming in and helping him to tweak a JTM45 factory
preset to mimic Clapton's Beano tone. He received a lot of valuable feedback about what to do via more
experienced users in the Youtube chat.

Just sharing that that is now one of the artist presets he has in his Axe-FX III Rhett Shull Preset bundle. He really
only did what more seasoned users suggested to him. Kind of like what happens here on the forum a lot. People
help one another, and do so freely, offering their own time and expertise. Yet, Rhett didn't mention what a great
community there is centered around Fractal Audio, and how helpful everyone is in getting each other up to speed
on how to get the best out of this amazing gear.

Not doing this "tattle" on Rhett or anyone else. Just wanted to focus on one of the many "positives" of owning
a Fractal Audio unit that Rhett didn't mention----even though he received some of that advice, help, and support
to make a preset he now has for sale.

Edit: How many hours are invested in what we use and enjoy, and if we have a question, we never have to wait
long for an answer or any help. Not a lot of places left like that in the world. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom