I love the FAS Modern and the Fat switch!

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
today I decided to throw caution to the wind with my go to FAS Modern preset and engage the mysterious "FAT" mode on the mid control. At first I was like it's kind of murky and... well... fat lol. BUT! I decided to work with it and see what i could do. So after adjusting the bass, mid, treb, presence control... HOLY MOLY that little parameter smokes! It gives the FAS modern a sorta barky midrange that really rocks for modern metal stuff. Don't get me wrong, without it it's still cool, but it had a tendency in a full mix to get masked by other instruments. Now it has a nice spot carved in the mix. The thing with the Fat mode is you need to rework your preset around it, you just cant turn it on and expect it to sing. I needed to up the treble and mids and lower the bass, including some trimming of 60hz in the EQ section. Wow, I love the Fat mode it just works with my rig and I'm never going to have skinny tone again ;)

These individual victories like this one from the fat-switch, are the nuggets of forum-posts. they shine from excitement and passion in a highly concentrated form.

I'm sure each of us after a while with the dial-in of the axe-fx all will have our own nifty little tricks that makes our sounds more

unique and custom. It's kind of a dilemma, all this sharing of presets and axe-change. Of course sharing is a nice thing, we get to know the unit from a whole other perspective

and get inspiration, but to me it would not be a good thing if we all sounded the same. I think these tricks really do nothing but encourage curiousity and great things.

I'm sure things will never be the same because we all have our personal preference when it comes so timbre and cabs, shape in
of frequenzies and so on.

Thank you for sharing, I hope others will aswell.

I'm using the FAT switch in my lead presets. At home it sounds like nothing special. But live it really cuts through and makes the tone sing.

Yes i really love the FAT switch on Recto ampsims too !
I also discovered a nice tip yestersay (maybe already known by some of you), in order to get more growl of my 4x12 based presets.
I added the 1x6 Oval Cab in parallel of the 4x12 v30.

Yes i really love the FAT switch on Recto ampsims too !
I also discovered a nice tip yestersay (maybe already known by some of you), in order to get more growl of my 4x12 based presets.
I added the 1x6 Oval Cab in parallel of the 4x12 v30.

Yes, a popular trick in the Standard/Ultra days.

A bit similar to Gamedojo's Midboost trick, or using OwnHammer's Fat/Warm IRs, or mixing in a TC30 IR.

Yea my favorite v30 ownhamer mix right now is even blend of the 5,6,7 of sm57 and 2, 3, 4 of the tc30. Meaty and articulate.

Yes, a popular trick in the Standard/Ultra days.

A bit similar to Gamedojo's Midboost trick, or using OwnHammer's Fat/Warm IRs, or mixing in a TC30 IR.

This ^...I have added the TC30 beta OH to almost all of my patches and it definitely gives it a more realistic and in the room/bigger feel/sound.

Oh yea the FAS Modern with the FAT switch rocks...I'm using both for my higain preset. I love the rich, fat distortion of the amp and how it stays articulate and punchy...

I'm also using the FAS Rhythm/FAT switch for my 'Marshall/70's' crunch sound...

I concur - super hot amp. I am in the midst of recording some heavy rock guitar tracks soon to be uploaded to illustrate how much I love this Amp and the FAT Switch

I'm curious, what other amps love being big boned? Any other high gain amps like being fat? Spill your secrets guys lol!

For most of my hi-gain lead patches I use the fat switch. I use the X/Y amps feature and my Y for rhythm guitar is usually with it off and the X for leads usually has it on. I'd have to go through my patches and check, but I remember there was one or two that I had at one time that had fat switch on for rhythm guitar sounds as well, may have been the Uber, but I think I changed it back.

Since I've had the Axe-FX (starting with the Ultra a few years back) I've built hi-gain patches using just about every amp that might fit the bill and until recently I didn't have a real clear favorite; just a lot of different but great tones. That was going direct into my studio monitors. After getting a good deal on a Mills 4x12 and picking up a Matrix power amp I started working on more of a live sound through a cab with no cab sims, and I have to say that the FAS Modern has taken the lead for my main modern hi-gain tone. It just seems to have the right balance of aggression with smoothness and clarity. Great sounding and versatile amp.

yea i've gone through many phases trying different high gainers but i always end up back on the FAS Modern. It's killer

Back
Top Bottom