I love the axe fx III but I hate tweaking

Go figure. I hate tweaking, but I love my axe fx III. Really, I just look through presets from various places until I find something I like that sounds and feels good.

I never tweak, don't care too, wouldn't know how to start. I'm weird eh?
Not weird. I rarely get into anything deeper than bass mid treble, low cut, and delay time. Just choosing IR’s takes me too much time lol.

If it sounds good and makes you play then just run with it.

I really wish I could play guitar, but I don't. I actually do all the "Tweaking" of presets/designs and everything for my son who plays constantly. He rarely does any tweaking, he just tells me to. :). Thankfully, I have DI's of him playing, so I use re-amping to my benefit.

I tweak effects, but I keep the Amp+Cab knobs untouched with the exception of the "Tone" ones.

Basically I do what I would have done with a real Amp and pedalboard.

Go figure. I hate tweaking, but I love my axe fx III. Really, I just look through presets from various places until I find something I like that sounds and feels good.

I never tweak, don't care too, wouldn't know how to start. I'm weird eh?
Honestly, if you're using a simple chain, it doesn't require much at all. The default amp settings are very usable. And no, I don't think your approach is weird. If you're happy with what you're hearing, that's all that matters.

non-tweakers are welcomed with open arms (though encouraged to enter the realm of tweakerdom at any time)

15-legendary-lessons-from-master-yoda-10-638.jpg

^^^ Aye! I really do not mess with any advanced parameters.

With the axe fx you can align the planets of the solar system to the alpha quadrant while synchronizing the orbit of a quark around nebula b orion.

I typically do not mess with that stuff. I think I'd rather play the guitar.
That's the way I took your post. I'm sort of the same way. I mostly stick with the basic controls.

I rarely tweak past the Authentic menu these days on my III and even less-so on my FM9 rig (using actual cabs)

Unless we’re talking about my Gilmour presets, which are a continuous work in progress and will be until I’ve finally nailed the PULSE tones.

I don't understand this. When you play into a real amp, you never tweak the knobs? I don't see a difference.
Tweaking in this context generally referring to delving into the deeper options in the amp block, etc. like impedance curves, supply sag parameters, deliberate power tube mismatching, and so on.

I don't understand this. When you play into a real amp, you never tweak the knobs? I don't see a difference.
Harder to buy presets for a particular guitar amp.
If you can find AXE presets you like for free or purchase ones that sound good to you, just go play guitar! The audience will never know the difference.

Last edited:
I really wish I could play guitar, but I don't. I actually do all the "Tweaking" of presets/designs and everything for my son who plays constantly. He rarely does any tweaking, he just tells me to. :). Thankfully, I have DI's of him playing, so I use re-amping to my benefit.
That's a really cool father/son shared hobby. I'm guessing you have a background in sound production or another instrument?

I like your philosophy.

I’m terrible about tweaking, but I always find that it’s worth it to me. So much of the gear modeled is stuff I’ve never gotten to try in the real world, and I love the things I’ve learned from not only learning how gear interacts with my guitar, but from deep tweaking to get the response just perfect. It generally tends to feel even better to me with those tweaks. But I’ve created presets that are just awesome for me, so I’m finding that I can just dial those up after the tweaks and focus hard on my playing, but in a much more satisfying way.

Back
Top Bottom