I love my AxeFx2, should I buy a Kemper as well?

You should be able to get any tone imaginable from the AxeII. Maybe try to hunt down some other Axe II users presets for this style amp/s?
but if there are different tones already available on another rack mount, why wouldn't I buy? As I say, I don't have to choose between one or the other

Buy a nice guitar instead - all what you asking for is inside the AF2 ;)
I probably have too many guitars, but it's not hard to pick another, I'm wondering if an extra amp sim would increase my options more than an extra guitar, the only different one I can think of is a dobro national

If you have the extra money, buy it. You can try them side by side and return the Kemper if you find out it doesn't suit your needs.

I have been using a gt10 for backup which works very well for me but I decided to purchase an Eleven Rack. I bought one from EBay for $385.00 brand new in the box I am loving this unit I set it up with a ground control pro and it really makes a great backup system. I recvomend this unless money is no concern.

I've ordered a KPA to try out

Good decision, you'll love it. Owning both an Axe2 & KPA is not overkill. They both have their strengths & offer a completely different approach. You will have the absolute best that digital has to offer at this moment in time by owning both.

I have both and they are both top notch, the Axe fx has the advantage of a really nice editor, dedicated midi controller and tons of effects and routing options. The Kemper is easy to setup and get some really nice guitar tones. Disappointed there has been no editor/librarian released or the dedicated midi controller. If you can get both, do it and consider yourself fortunate to have the best of both worlds.

Yes, I agree

For my cleaner, plainer amp sounds, I have only ever found/tweaked a few clean patches I really liked on the AF2, and nothing that every felt/sounded much like my favourites: my Dc30 or Ceriatone BM (John Mayer Type Dumble clone)
Straight away, on day one, from the free shared KPA patch database, I have patches that are close enough to these 2 for me to enjoy. Certainly at present, the simpler cleaner patches with a lot of amp feel that I often use are more plentiful on this KPA
I have not been too impressed with the metal/rock sounds on the KPA so far, and the FX are a bit fiddly from the control panel (although that is compared to the main controls - still easier than the AF2 I suppose). Having the dedicated Bass/mid/treble/presence is such a pleasant change, along with the input gain and volume controls

I suspect the amp sounds I want are in the AF2, but most owners seem focussed on heavier sounds, and I haven't yet pulled the sounds I need from it, whereas as I said - the sounds I was missing were available on day 1 with the KPA

Other observations: KPA is not as heavy or solid as the AF2. Who cares though, it lives in a rack
KPA has no fan - what a relief
KPA does not try to blow your speakers when you power off if you forget to mute it first
AF2 FX are way better, editor better, routing etc
KPA deals with different guitars & pickups better (clean sense, input gain knob etc)

My conclusion: choosing between the AF2 and KPA is like saying "you can only have one of a strat or a Les Paul or a 335" - they are all pro instruments (and I do believe that top amps, AF2 and KPA are instruments) that cover different needs, and I will be keeping both. I have too many valve amps already, and selling one that I rarely used bought me the KPA and 2 new guitars

I also just ordered a Kemper and it's on its way to me now. I figure I don't have much to lose by trying it. Worst case I send it back for a refund. Even if I do like it, I have doubts as to whether it will completely replace the Axe. I'll probably end up keeping both, though my wallet prefers that I go with one or the other.

The Axe and Kemper are very different pieces of gear. We all have different needs and tone is highly subjective. I fail to understand why some people get so worked up defending one and putting down the other. There doesn't have to be 2 different camps.

There are certain aspects to the Kemper that really appeal to me, at least in theory (only hands-on experience will confirm). I like the idea that a profile is basically a snapshot of all the elements put together (the amp, cab, mic, mic positions, etc.). That means that all the elements were specifically chosen to achieve a certain tone by the creator of the profile. Profiles are certainly tweakable, but for the most part if you like the profile...good. If not, load up a different one.

With the Axe it's different (at least for me). You have a tone in mind. You have some knowledge regarding amp/effects/cab/mic/etc that will get you in the ballpark. Then you assemble the tone piece by piece. This is all well and good and sometimes it's really fun. Other times it's incredibly frustrating when you end up tweaking for hours on end without achieving the results you had in mind. I get tired of tweaking. I'd rather spend more time playing and recording.

Someone at the Kemper forum summarized it pretty well when they said:

"For me, the Axe and the Kemper are two awesome devices, but they target different persons :

- I want to spend time to get MY sound, without the need to have real amp -> Go to Axe (the number/quality of effects and the freedom of routing make the axe a far better tool than Kemper in this category)
- I already have my tones, I just want a tool to make their use easier -> Go to Kemper (for me, many artists and producers are in this category)
- I don't have any amp, I just want to play by using the others peoples tones (with minimal tweaks) -> Also go to Kemper"

Personally, I fall into the 3rd category the most. I have limited patience to be a part of the 1st.

If the money is there, BUY IT! Just make sure the supplier offers an unconditional, money back return policy.
Some time ago, in this forum, I remember someone writing about the Kemper being a good companion to the Axe II. I don't remember the details.

To add to what der dj said, i unfortunately don't fall under this sprectum, i have close to zero knowledge about gear.

"With the Axe it's different (at least for me). You have a tone in mind. You have some knowledge regarding amp/effects/cab/mic/etc that will get you in the ballpark."

On the other hand the axe fx has push me into learning more sbout these things. Now that I produced nothing to this thread ill step away hahah

Back
Top Bottom