I love mini tuners!

Ah, but they're still easy to find. ;)
Maybe so, but needlessly so IMO.

The example below shows that there's absolutley no real need to move the tuner. At least to my knowledge anyway. I'm no expert, but am a UI designer and can't help but feel slightly frustrated about this...

KWn5cs

StQAZP

Fractal make some amazing things, but UI decisions baffle me sometimes. EDIT: The reason I make light of this is because there's value in consistency and keeping things in the same place when navigating around different screens. It really helps - I've witnessed this in my own user studies.

Watch the video and at 14:30 @Jono Bacon blames himself for overriding things, truth is though, the UI at that point isn't doing much to help the situation either. The preset name is in the same colour as the scene names and I believe that's what causing him to maybe think that he's editing Scene 3 instead of Scene 2 - due in part to the UI pattern being used.

8DYtV1

I'll leave it at that now, because I know people will jump on me for pointing things out, and people get all precious about "negativity". But truth is, Fractal are doing a fantastic job and I'm looking forward to seeing how they can improve upon these minor niggles - I completely understand it's VERY early days.

Here's the video...

Gday Jonathan,
Keep on pointing things out! You're right that specific individuals may see suggestions like yours in a negative light, however the people that matter (ie: me....I mean, Cliffs team) will doubtlessly view them as well meaning, & constructive advice. We are only at v1.03... Imagine this beast in twenty iteration or so!
Thanks
Pauly

Gday Jonathan,
Keep on pointing things out! You're right that specific individuals may see suggestions like yours in a negative light, however the people that matter (ie: me....I mean, Cliffs team) will doubtlessly view them as well meaning, & constructive advice. We are only at v1.03... Imagine this beast in twenty iteration or so!
Thanks
Pauly
Thanks Pauly, that means a lot. You're right, I really mean it with the best of intentions as I love this product as much as you and anyone else :)

Maybe so, but needlessly so IMO.

The example below shows that there's absolutley no real need to move the tuner. At least to my knowledge anyway. I'm no expert, but am a UI designer and can't help but feel slightly frustrated about this...

KWn5cs

StQAZP

Fractal make some amazing things, but UI decisions baffle me sometimes. EDIT: The reason I make light of this is because there's value in consistency and keeping things in the same place when navigating around different screens. It really helps - I've witnessed this in my own user studies.

Watch the video and at 14:30 @Jono Bacon blames himself for overriding things, truth is though, the UI at that point isn't doing much to help the situation either. The preset name is in the same colour as the scene names and I believe that's what causing him to maybe think that he's editing Scene 3 instead of Scene 2 - due in part to the UI pattern being used.

8DYtV1

I'll leave it at that now, because I know people will jump on me for pointing things out, and people get all precious about "negativity". But truth is, Fractal are doing a fantastic job and I'm looking forward to seeing how they can improve upon these minor niggles - I completely understand it's VERY early days.

Here's the video...

When criticism is constructive like yours, anyone saying you shouldn't write it up is just stupid.

Your feedback is exactly as should be: focused, constructive, and polite.

FAS has done an amazing job with the Axe FX III but there is definitely room for UI improvements. Most notsbly, there are some UI inconsistencies as you suggest, but also some area where the UI is not as discoverable as you might expect. For example, I had to look up in the manual how to pick a cab - I genuinely couldn't figure it out.

This is the joy of product design though, now the product is out and this feedback can be gathered and evaluated by FAS. I am confident they will make the right decisions.

Back
Top Bottom