I LOVE IR CAPTURE!

schlagdog

Inspired
I can't see how everyone running a poweramp/cab live setup doesn't just capture it and go direct. It's pretty damn amazing that it gets so damn close. I spent a little bit moving my SM57 to find my favorite spot on my cab again with my MOSVALVE 500 Poweramp and my Randall Warhead Cab with V30's and it's just amazing how close it gets. This is actually my current favorite cab I have IR'd. The first riff is the actually mic'd cab and the next riff is just the IR direct with no high or low cut just the cab in the cab block.

Here is the patch I used and the IR. The guitar was an ESP with a Bill Lawrence XL500.

Attachments

• Schlagdog's Mosvalve V30 4x12 SM57 4.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Schlagdog's 5150.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 93
It sure gets near perfect and I seem to like the way a mic'd up cab sounds over the stock cabs for higher gain. I can basically eliminate any ground hum and extra noise of miking my cab by just capturing it and going direct.

Very cool ! The only difference seems like there is a little more "room" in the mic'd version... maybe add a refer block set to Room, and add a very subtle amount...

These are the best spent money I've ever spent on anything in my whole life when it comes to audio equipment!

If you're on the fence reading this, you have nothing to fear. Make the jump and you will realize what magic you've been missing.

It's hard to describe in words because I almost can't believe it myself when I'm playing this thing. And I'm using headphones!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

These are the best spent money I've ever spent on anything in my whole life when it comes to audio equipment!

If you're on the fence reading this, you have nothing to fear. Make the jump and you will realize what magic you've been missing.

It's hard to describe in words because I almost can't believe it myself when I'm playing this thing. And I'm using headphones!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

+1 for that. The IR feature and the tape delay is what sold me on the II :D

I can't see how everyone running a poweramp/cab live setup doesn't just capture it and go direct.
Great demo of the IR feature, but regarding your first point; go direct into what?

Most of my gigs have no FOH so the question for me is go amp and cab or go FRFR. I'm not yet convinced that I'd prefer FRFR, it would constitute additional expense (I can use the amp and cab I already have), and would definitely add complexity to creating presets.

Since my amp and cab (Randall RT2/50>VHT/Fryette Fab Bottom 2x12) sound great as it is, I'm seeing no compelling reasons to change.

Great demo of the IR feature, but regarding your first point; go direct into what?

Most of my gigs have no FOH so the question for me is go amp and cab or go FRFR. I'm not yet convinced that I'd prefer FRFR, it would constitute additional expense (I can use the amp and cab I already have), and would definitely add complexity to creating presets.

Since my amp and cab (Randall RT2/50>VHT/Fryette Fab Bottom 2x12) sound great as it is, I'm seeing no compelling reasons to change.

I hear you. I have played out with both cabs and FRFR subbing as cabs. I have never run direct into a PA yet through. I would say that the main thing that made me change over was that every distorted patch I made sounded the same. When I moved over to FRFR and started using the cab block, it really opened up the possibilities and with the new features that have come in over the past 6 months it feels like I have a lot more at my disposal. But, I can see if you have your specific tone and you don't change your base (amp/cab) tone then why bother? Why mess with success =)

-Nate

Back
Top Bottom