I love/hate noise gates... (YouTube video)

I feel like the Axe-Fx input has less noise than any real tube amp I've tried.

I absolutely agree with YOU FOR sure on the tube noise as ive been playing tubes for 10 years. As FOR making the axe fx less noisy then it hardly is, well dang that's also interesting.

I saw a video about using the noise gate between the amp block and cab block (amp-gate-cab)

By doing this for the style I play, I had to crank that threshold way high at -29 with my ratio at 5 -_- no no good at all for me..... with quick palm mutes and playing 16th notes with quarter rest in between, I still heard unwanted noise (what is referred as natural sounding)

I found the gate to work with less setting values with the gate before the amp and cab block (Gate-Amp-Cab)

My Chain as we speak is as follows:

INPUT GATE OFF......Compressor---Drive---Gate---Amp---Cab

Gate settings are
Threshold-40
Ratio 3.80
Attack 1.60ms
Release 2ms
Hold 1.60ms

Amp gain is 4 and the drive on the drive block is 1.50

The amp I'm using is Euro uberschall with tastefully setting the treble so that it doesn't appear to sound like a dark amp when it's not a dark amp.

Last edited:
I saw a video about using the noise gate between the amp block and cab block (amp-gate-cab)

By doing this for the style I play, I had to crank that threshold way high at -29 with my ratio at 5 -_- no no good at all for me..... with quick palm mutes and playing 16th notes with quarter rest in between, I still heard unwanted noise (what is referred as natural sounding)
This is what the SCSEL "INPUT 1" parameter is designed for, so you can have the gate after the amp block while it's tracking the signal from the input of the guitar. If you leave the side chain selection parameter(SCSEL) to BLOCK L+R everything that affects gain structure before the gate (i.e. drives, compressors,amp blocks, eq, ect..) is going to affect the threshold of the gate. This is my prefered method of using the gate block.

Back
Top Bottom