I love Cab Lab 3 but the plugin is crashing Logic Pro X

Hello Fractal People,

A little while back I switched over to Cab Lab 3. I very much like the fact that I can go without phase transform, and I've been very happy with the newest mixing platform options. Way cool.

Standalone version is working great. But as I said, the plugin version is crashing Logic Pro X. I'm using OSX 10.9.5 with Logic 10.1.1. Everything is fine when I open a stereo instance of the plugin. Everything is fine with the plugin if I open a mono instance in my session. But if I open a mono instance in my session, close out, and open back up, I get a very long crash message that starts with "Logic Pro X Quit unexpectedly while using Cab Lab 3 Plugin", offering to reopen Logic. The error states that the plugin crashed on "thread 30", with the following message:

30 com.apple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x00007fff8742bbe1 LoadComponent + 187

But every time I try and reopen Logic the same message is generated and continues to generate until I remove Cab Lab 3 from my AU folder. This does not happen if I use stereo instances. It's very strange. I'm using the latest updated Cab Lab 3.

I would love to reap the benefits of using this in plugin mode, so if anybody has any ideas please let me know. I will be out for the day with my wife on our anniversary (heading up into the Sawtooth mountains. Gonna' be beautiful!) but will be back this evening. Thanks again, and looking forward to a possible solution!

EDIT FOR UPDATE: I have contacted support with a word document that shows the entire crash message, as I realize I didn't include pertinent information from the actual crash screen (I'm not used to crashes). The actual crash from the thread reads as follows (from threads 30 to 31):

Thread 30:
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff86176a1a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x00007fff86175d18 mach_msg + 64
2 com.FractalAudio.CabLabAU 0x000000011bcdf57f 0x11b7e8000 + 5207423
3 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8c5c4899 _pthread_body + 138
4 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8c5c472a _pthread_start + 137
5 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff8c5c8fc9 thread_start + 13

Thread 31 Crashed:
0 com.FractalAudio.CabLabAU 0x000000011ba3a71b 0x11b7e8000 + 2434843

Last edited:
Hey folks. After having a brief exchange with Ryan at Fractal Support, I realized that the issue had more to do with an interaction problem between Cab Lab 3 and Slate Virtual Mix Rack. To save time I will merely paste my findings in the reply to the email I got from Support. It's strange, but all of it is true on my end:

What I had taken for granted was that following Cab Lab 3, I had loaded an instance of Virtual Mix Rack to take advantage of the console emulation (which is a big part of my workflow). Upon removing it, I discovered that Logic had no crash upon reload. Interestingly, if VMR is loaded BEFORE Cab Lab 3, it won't crash upon reload. Or, at the very least, the chance of it crashing out on reload is greatly minimized. However, this method changes the sound quality to a rather stark degree (in a displeasing way to my ears), so it will not be a usable workaround.

Further, if I load cab lab 3 onto an audio track, and then open up a second audio track, and ONLY put Slate VMR on the track, this causes Logic to crash when I try to open the session back up after closing. So it seems that it is an interaction between the three elements (Logic Pro X, Cab Lab 3, and Slate VCC) that are causing the problems. Bummer.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with stereo tracks. Only mono. I imagine that the only solution (should I wish to use the plugin version of CL3) would be to print the sound after I find a mix that I like (to a new audio track), get rid of any instances of Cab Lab 3, and then proceed with my mixing. That, however, is kind of a huge pain in the butt and wasteful of space. Or, I suppose, only work in stereo tracks. But that changes the way certain signals are processed in Logic.

Nonetheless, I'm positive now the issue has more to do with the interaction between Slate VMR and CL3 on mono tracks when using Logic Pro X (LOL). I don't suppose you have any suggestions, or if it is even possible for you to replicate the issue at hand, do you?

Interesting. I use Slate Virtual Mix Rack on a LOT of my channels, and i Use Cubase Pro 8.5 on windows. Cab Lab Plugin crashes EVERY time i use it. Such a shame, love to be able to use it.

Back
Top Bottom