I know it's been asked-but AX8-

I'm almost ready. It would be great to know the price, so I know how much to save for. I only use credit cards when I have cash on hand. It helps my conscious. This is going to be a great one pedal board device, that I can pick up once I'm done playing. Walk off the stage and go home, vs stick around till the end and tear down. The more time I have at home with the family, the better my home life is.

I just wish it would be as powerful as the rack axe fx, I have patches with 91% CPU that would probably not work on the AX8; I would replace my rack rig for the AX8 if it was equally as powerful.

The AX8 will only do one amp/cab at a time.

There has been no indication as to which effects will be included in the AX8. Since it uses the same chip as the FX8, just two of them: one for amp/cab and the other for OS/FX, it would be reasonable to assume it will have the same FX as the FX8, but that's still an assumption on my part.

We're a month or so from the expected release. I'm hoping we'll get all the details... soon!

The AX8 is what I've been visualizing in my head for the past 8 years - especially after owning the AxeFX Standard, Ultra and II for 3 years and becoming accustomed to that sound. I have no doubt it'l live up to the expectations, assuming the price is reasonable (ie under the price of a used Axe FX II) - The main things I want to know now besides price/when waiting list begins (which Cliff won't tell us) is what the dimensions are, what is included and etc so I can get started building my setup around it. Buying a custom made case for the AX8 + two expression pedals, etc.

I think one cab/amp at a time will work fine for me. While the II was fun mixing them, I'm perfectly content with one at a time for the sacrifice of the rack format.

Million Dollar Question??? When will we have a price?????

Fun to speculate. Since Cliff confirmed no pay-as-you-go nonsense and it will arrive fully loaded.. then you gotta figure price of FX8, plus one DSP, plus fancy hardware encoder knobs... minus relay switching and 4CM enhancements (guessing there.. AX8 might have those too but might not to save a few bucks and make FX8 stand out)

On the other hand we have this very interesting competitive situation with Helix just coming out.. possible this will be priced extra aggressively, sacrificing margin for market share.

Fun to speculate. Since Cliff confirmed no pay-as-you-go nonsense and it will arrive fully loaded.. then you gotta figure price of FX8, plus one DSP, plus fancy hardware encoder knobs... minus relay switching and 4CM enhancements (guessing there.. AX8 might have those too but might not to save a few bucks and make FX8 stand out)

On the other hand we have this very interesting competitive situation with Helix just coming out.. possible this will be priced extra aggressively, sacrificing margin for market share.

He also said the AX8 is not made in USA, where as the FX8 is.. (if I recall) - if thats the case, I'd hope to see some savings on the AX8. Either way, if the AX8 is less than the FX8 pricewise, I'll be buying as soon as its ready.

The AX8 looks really great!!! congrats FAS.

I have a few questions:
1) I like the fact that there are knobs now to instantly tweak the amp parameters. Will the buttons below the screen do the same for other parameters like delay feedback and level for example? That instant (pedal like) knob tweakablity is the one thing I miss from the Axe fx II.
2) what are the right buttons for (F1-F3)? is that to switch to the next row of eight. Like reveal on the MFC but then for all eight buttons. So you will have 24 buttons to choose from with F1 to F3?
3) I wonder what the reasons for Axe fx II users will be to switch to the AX8 or to have both the AX8 and the Axe fx II. I can think of 2 reasons: a) more instant tweakabilty b) less stuff to carry. Any more reasons for other users? since the sounds are the same. Just curious.

I wonder what the reasons for Axe fx II users will be to switch to the AX8..
I think the biggest reason will be the fact that the AX8 gives you a small, all-in-one, drop-it-and-play box without compromising your tone—and with no cumbersome rack to deal with. Most players will be able to build AX8 presets to cover all their needs, at least for live playing.

The AX8 looks really great!!! congrats FAS.

I have a few questions:
1) I like the fact that there are knobs now to instantly tweak the amp parameters. Will the buttons below the screen do the same for other parameters like delay feedback and level for example? That instant (pedal like) knob tweakablity is the one thing I miss from the Axe fx II.
2) what are the right buttons for (F1-F3)? is that to switch to the next row of eight. Like reveal on the MFC but then for all eight buttons. So you will have 24 buttons to choose from with F1 to F3?
3) I wonder what the reasons for Axe fx II users will be to switch to the AX8 or to have both the AX8 and the Axe fx II. I can think of 2 reasons: a) more instant tweakabilty b) less stuff to carry. Any more reasons for other users? since the sounds are the same. Just curious.

Most likely yes. That's how the FX8 functions, and those seem to be the only multi-use knobs, so they'd have to change parameters, similar to the Value and ABCD quick knobs on the Axe once you get into the Edit screen. Perhaps they also have "Recall" screen functions like selecting Scenes, just like the Axe as well.

They are probably Mode switches for selecting among Preset select, Scene select, Effect On/Off, tap tempo, tuner, looper, etc. I doubt there is a Reveal mode, since that is basically replaced by Preset vs Scene vs Effect On/Off (Stompbox mode on the FX8). Most likely a tap function and hold function for 2 choices per switch (like the FX8).

As much as I don't mind taking my 6 space rack and separate MIDI controller, taking 1 bag with the FX8 and accessories over the past few weeks has been amazing. I gig a lot at hotels, restaurants, clubs, etc. Some people here gig a few times a month, so bringing out the big setup and all the toys a few times isn't a big deal. But traveling or having a daily grind really benefits from less gear and quicker setups.

My gigs want me to show up 5 minutes before, setup quickly, then start. There's no sound check, no tweaking, no walking the room. Heck, there's no where for me to even wait or put all my gear that's not in the way of customers and patrons of the venue usually. So 1 rolling luggage and the guitar on my back is the way to go.

I really love the FX8 for what it provides, but I really, really miss the Amp modeling and can't wait to have that in a floor unit!

It's not just beer and drunks. It's musicians that don't want to plastic-bag their footswitch.
This is just gigging June-August.

20144371803_2b83af105f_z.jpg

Dusty patios, dirty concrete, blacktop parking lots, back yard house parties, wind blown sprinkles and rain,
and wednesday this week...standing in dirt @ a reservoir gig.
20756248312_e74b57de38_c.jpg

Time to wipe it down again.

That steep screen angle might be ugly to some, but it keeps it a bit above the tracked-on dirt level.

I sold my Axe II to get a AX8 because I will cover all my need on 9 switch and on a floor board live.
1 amp 1 cab enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom