I know ... I know.... An other Headphone Question ...

fafakiwi

Experienced
Hi Everyone ,
I ve just sold my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 ohms , so i need an other Headphone , i thought the DT -770 sounded good , neutral ...to my ears , but i was not so enthousiast at all ....
So i m hesitating between two products which are totally different in prices , technical aspects , and maybe quality :
- The Sennheiser HD-650
-The Audeze LC-2
the Sennheiser has great reputation , it s a reference and has the reputation to be neutral and i don t want to be too far from the awsome sound of my Xitones Cabs
But it s impedance is 300 ohms and i ve sold before a beyer DT-880 250 ohms because i felt it loses lots of power ......so i think it could worse with the HD-650
Foe the Audeze LC-2 i ve read lots lots of reviews , it seems to be a marvolous headphone .... incomparable maybe and very good for the Axe , but what a budget ....
Almost 900 euros , and if i m unlucky to be disapointed in purchasing it , feeling that it does not sounds as as good as it s price , i m hesitating ....
So if many could share their thought , experience or advise something else .... iwould read carefully :)
Sorry for a new boring Headphone thread and for the mistakes in my language .....
Fafa

How about the Shure SRH 1840? Highly respected apparently, and 60 ohms... They are open back though. I believe the closed back version is the 1540.

The DT770 is very bright, others might sound dull after those. Hd600/hd650 are great, and with todays silly high priced models, they've started to seem like bargains. So far all parts have been easily available as spares, but now after Sennheiser' headphone business has been sold, I dont know. My hd600 are now 22 years old, maybe I will buy a few spares and parts.

I sold my old Sennheiser HD-650 when I got the Audeze LCD-2, several years ago. If you want top quality and forget about further searching, get the LCD-2. They are the only headphones I've tired so far that give me the same results as listening through the studio monitors.

Last edited:
I sold my old Sennheiser HD-650 when I got the Audeze LCD-2, several years ago. If you want top quality and forget about further searching, get the LCD-2. They are the only headphones I've tired so far that give me the same results as listening through the studio monitors.
Hi Manuel ,
Thanks … but tell me a bit about how they sound ,
Do they appear neutral to you ? What make you think they are the best of the best … :) ?
Thanks

Hi Manuel ,
Thanks … but tell me a bit about how they sound ,
Do they appear neutral to you ? What make you think they are the best of the best … :) ?
Thanks

They sound natural, with no artificial flavors. Very open and dynamic. What makes me think that they are the best (for me) is that I have spent a lot of money and time with many headphones widely used at the studios, and none of them accurately translated what I hear from the monitors (now I am using Mackie HR824 and Genelec) to the headphones and vice-versa. I can tweak the Axe-FX through the LCD-2 with the assurance that It will give the same results at the studio monitors or a PA.

They are a little bit bulky, but I have learnt to live with that.

A couple of years ago I was looking for a closed-headphone. Following the usual recommendations, I purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. My experience with the AT was very disappointing. They don't translate the tone accurately; they color and compress, so I have discarded them. They may be good for recording, or for casual listening music, but not for tweaking tones with transparent accuracy.

Audeze LCD-2 Vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.JPG

p.s.: I am talking about nuances. I am not encouraging to spend that money if tone is not really an obsession. Otherwise, the usual mid-price options like the ATH-M50x are good enough :)

They sound natural, with no artificial flavors. Very open and dynamic. What makes me think that they are the best (for me) is that I have spent a lot of money and time with many headphones widely used at the studios, and none of them accurately translated what I hear from the monitors (now I am using Mackie HR824 and Genelec) to the headphones and vice-versa. I can tweak the Axe-FX through the LCD-2 with the assurance that It will give the same results at the studio monitors or a PA.

A couple of years ago I was looking for a closed-headphone. Following the usual recommendations, I purchased the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. My experience with the AT was very disappointing. They don't translate the tone accurately; they color and compress, so I have discarded them. They may be good for recording, or for casual listening music, but not for tweaking tones with transparent accuracy.

View attachment 83359

p.s.: I am talking about nuances. I am not encouraging to spend that money if tone is not really an obsession. Otherwise, the usual options are good enough
Thanks Manuel , very clear and useful
https://www.thomann.de/fr/audeze_lcd_2_classic_closed_new.htm
Is this one the same as yours ..??
Especially the specs
It s the one I ve take a look at ,
Thanks again

View attachment 83359

p.s.: I am talking about nuances. I am not encouraging to spend that money if tone is not really an obsession. Otherwise, the usual mid-price options are good enough :)
…And what do you mean by … bulky :rolleyes:

Thanks Manuel , very clear and useful
https://www.thomann.de/fr/audeze_lcd_2_classic_closed_new.htm
Is this one the same as yours ..??
Especially the specs
It s the one I ve take a look at ,
Thanks again

No. That one is new. The Audeze LCD-2 that I've always used is open

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2

By bulky I mean that it is using "Planar Magnetic" technology, and that requires a large diaphragm. Just compare with the size of the Audio Technica earpads at the picture that I have posted

https://www.musicstore.com/fr_FR/EUR/Audeze-LCD-2-Classic/art-REC0015214-000
There is this one , not with the wood aspect finish …. But is it the same ….

When I purchased it, it was only available in rosewood. Now there are more economic options, like the LCD-2 Classic. I don't know if that may affect the sound.

"The LCD-2 Classic ($799), which I will be referring to as “LCD-2C,” is the current introductory model of Audeze’s full-size LCD family of headphones. The LCD-2C is essentially a simplified version of the iconic LCD-2, as they share various design aspects and driver technologies. The LCD-2C retains the LCD-2’s Neodymium N50 magnets, as well as the same magnetic structure; albeit without the inclusion of Audeze’s Fazor waveguide Technology."

https://www.audeze.com/search?q=LCD-2*

…. Sorry for my last question , but the one of the last link I ve sent you has the same specs , characteristics than yours ???
Only the finishing aspect is changing ?
Thanks Manuel

Here is a comparison:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2018/06/review-audeze-lcd-2-classic-fazor/

It seems like they do not have exactly the same acoustic properties, but it is not easy to understand how they differ by reading a review.

I laugh when they say at these reviews "I would like a bit more bass impact". These headphones are not for bass-heads! they are for appreciating the original tone as it was mixed down at the studio, without extra additions. If you are mixing down, mastering, or tweaking the Axe-FX, you don't want your headphones to add extra bass.

Last edited:
Here is a comparison:

I laugh when they say "I would like a bit more bass impact". These headphones are not for bass-heads, they are for appreciating the original tone as it was mixed down at the studio, without extra additions. If you are mixing down or tweaking the Axe-FX, you don't want your headphones to add extra bass.
… Yes , that s what I want , a headphone that gets me close as possible to neutral sound of my xitones cabs …

Here is a comparison:

It seems like they do not have exactly the same acoustic properties, but it is not easy to understand how they differ by reading a review.

I laugh when they say at these reviews "I would like a bit more bass impact". These headphones are not for bass-heads! they are for appreciating the original tone as it was mixed down at the studio, without extra additions. If you are mixing down, mastering, or tweaking the Axe-FX, you don't want your headphones to add extra bass.
Sorry … I ve read the article ,
So it has on overhall sounding maybe a bit different from the classic -fazor….

Back
Top Bottom