I just want to use my AXE-FX standard as a Flanger pedal with my 5150

Hello,

This post is for me to see how much I have learned, if any, about using this AXE-FX standard.

What I want to do is use the AXE-FX as a Flanger pedal, and nothing else. I want to use it with my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo. The PEAVEY has an FX-send and FX-return on the back.

My thoughts on the best way to do this (in order of best to worst):

Option #1-
Add a Flanger Item in the AXE patch as well as a FX-Loop item.
On the AXE FX-Loop, setup Output1 as the external signal.
Connect AXE's output1/left/mono to the PEAVEY's FX-return, and have the PEAVEY's FX-send go to the AXE-Input1/left/mono.
Guitar plugs into the PEAVEY AMP input.

Option #2-
Add a Flanger Item in the AXE patch as well as a FX-Loop item.
On the AXE FX-Loop, setup Output1 as the external signal.
Connect AXE's output1/left/mono to the PEAVEY's INPUT.
Guitar plugs into the AXE's rear input. (not the front). I heard the rear input has less noise than the front, and the gain can be controlled, I saw something about this on the video to use 2 guitars at once with 1 AXE unit.

I am sure there are more options, but this is only my 3rd day with this, so please go easy on me. I intend to run the whole signal as MONO, and yes distortion and flanger, but I expect to get the grit from the amp's tubes. I would also like to add phase once I get this method down.

Looking for early EVH tones from the 1st album through 1984, NOT the newer stuff past 5150.

Thanks again wonderful FA community! :)

David

First step is probably to decide how you want to wire the rig. If you are using the AxeFx solely as an FX unit and not using any amp sims you can really simplify things and you will not even have to mess with the FX-Loop block.

Using Axe as a post-amp effect:
Guitar->PV In->PVFX Send->AxeFx Line In->AxeFXLine Out->PV FX Return

If you want to use the AxeFx effects before and after the amp's preamp you need to use the '4 cable method'.
Guitar->Axe FX Guitar In->Axe FX Send (out 2)->PV In->PVFX Send->AxeFx FX Return (input 2)->AxeFX Main Output->PVFX Return

In the above, the PV amp's preamp will be placed in the signal chain wherever the 'FX Loop' block is placed.

See the Gen 1 wiki for more:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/gen1/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_Wiki_Manual#Getting_Set_Up

I own a flanger pedal, but I am trying to learn this system. I know my questions seem dumb to those that have had a Fractal system for 5+ years, but better late then never I think.

David

That's an extremely expensive flanger pedal! I'm not familiar with the standard and ultra family, but while you're experimenting it's worth a try to try guitar to axe fx, to fx return in the 5150. Then use the 5150 amp model with power amp sim turned off. To me his sounded better than the actual preamp and you'll have more options available if i

What you want to do is using the 4CBM
Meaning you will be able to place effects in front of the PV preamp and after.
Effects before the amp are usually Fuzz--Buffer/Line Driver-- Wah--Compressor--Dist/Overdrive
AMP
Effects in the FX LOOP are usually Pitch Shifter--Modulation--Delay--Reverb

Wired it should look like this:
(Take the one on the right! With the left one, you will only be able to place effects in the loop)
Connections2.jpg

And your effects chain in the Axe Fx could look like this:
95e19b-1477072088.jpg

That is what I do on my Rig aswell.

Wow Galgenwald,

With that diagram, it is impossible to mess up. I am printing that out and putting a copy on the back of my amp in case I get confused.

I like how I can put FX in front or behind the preamp, super smart idea which makes me love my Standard even more.

Thanks again, I have 4 cables ready to go!

David

With that diagram, it is impossible to mess up. I am printing that out and putting a copy on the back of my amp in case I get confused
Well in the beginning I thought so too. to print it out and keep it somewhere.
But after you hooked it up 3-4 times. it gets logical and the "understanding" comes moire and more of what you are actually doing.
It is useful to take different colors to wire it all up. so in case you are looking for to solve a problem, you can easily rewire everything =)

(sorry for the bad english this time =D)

Back
Top Bottom