I just saw Rush for the first time last night in Detroit....

alcaldwell

Inspired
.....and WOW! Guys, if you've never heard this band live before you totally need to go check them out on this tour. Alex Lifeson's live tones are unbelievable, Neil Peart's drumming is still top notch (2 drum solos!) and Geddy's bass/keys are phenomenal and his vocals are as distinctive as ever. They played two sets (somewhere around 1.5 hours each) with an intermission in between. They had a mix of new stuff and old stuff. I'm kinda disappointed they didn't play a couple of their familiar classics (Closer to the Heart, Red Barchetta), but when you have 4 decades of material.....

Anyway, I really like what they did with "The Anarchist" and "The Garden" off of their new album "Clockwork Angels". They had a string octet for about half of the concert, which is something they've never done live before. Guitar wise, Alex was using some amazing acoustic guitar sims for "The Garden" as well as some killer gain for the loud rockers (Tom Sawyer, YYZ, 2112 etc.)

Bottom line: Great show!

I was at that show too... and have a cool thing coming about it this week. Met with Scott Appleton (Alex's Tech) before the show backstage...

Killer stuff. Loved the string section up there with them. Just outstanding.

The Axe-FX II is handling all the effects for Alex, everything effects-wise was Fractal Audio (with one Axe-FX II).

PS: I know exactly how they got the acoustic guitar tone from the piezo. Hint: all Axe-FX II with a TM. ;) Details to come...

I did not get to meet Alex. But I did get to touch his guitars. ;) :D

Surely you must have been reminded of this!
laughing.gif

I've only seen them once, unfortunately at one of the worst outdoor venues in the country (It was Fiddler's Green at the time, the name changes so often that I can't remember what they're calling it now, the sound there is just plain awful.) Still a good show... They've been playing Red Rocks here lately... need to catch them there... talk about a great outdoor venue...

What amazes me most about Rush is how after all these years they are still advancing creatively within the same musical style, with the same format / lineup. And they still all get along. Four decades and they still just do what they do.. only better! With more class, modesty and humor than ever.

Most decent bands are doomed as soon as they succeed and it goes to their heads. Big egos, artistic differences, personal conflicts, drugs, side projects, bad managers.. all too typical. Not RUSH! They do Canadians proud.

Met with Scott Appleton (Alex's Tech) before the show backstage... The Axe-FX II is handling all the effects for Alex, everything effects-wise was Fractal Audio (with one Axe-FX II). PS: I know exactly how they got the acoustic guitar tone from the piezo. Hint: all Axe-FX II with a TM. ;) Details to come...

Very cool. I can't wait to see what you post. One of the guys I went with was backstage before the show and got some cool pics of Alex's rig. I had never heard of "Lerxst" amps before ;) Unfortunately the guy was a drummer so most of his pics were of Neil's ginormous kit...

I have never seen them live but love the band. When guys like Alex go all the way with an Axe, it pretty much ends the debate doesn't it?

I mean it's like someone like myself, a weekend warrior in a cover band, saying "Well Alex might accept compromise, but not me buddy!"

Rock on the Axe :)

Back
Top Bottom