I Just Purchased Cooper Carter's Axe Fx III Class

I've been interested in this course. Just got my fx3 this week, obviously bewildered by a lot. I've had a kemper before and a pod hd before that but only ever relied on others presets.
The info in this course, is it enough to help me from scratch dialing in my own stuff? Or is it just more trial and error on my own part?

I've been interested in this course. Just got my fx3 this week, obviously bewildered by a lot. I've had a kemper before and a pod hd before that but only ever relied on others presets.
The info in this course, is it enough to help me from scratch dialing in my own stuff? Or is it just more trial and error on my own part?

I'd say "yes" to both questions. There would be less trial and error after realizing how to get some of the sounds you are going for - it helped me get my live rig dialed in in short order and replace my AX2. And since then, I have been copping even more tones for my cover band and Internet jam band and just enjoying the heck out of playing the AXE FX III!

So I jumped around a bit tonight to try to get a feel for what's here. Designing presets from scratch is a given, along with showing how to copy individual blocks so you can place them into other presets. That was covered pretty well. And I watched a part that showed how to set up an FC Controller to not only change to any of the 8 scenes, but also to turn on/off individual effects within that preset. I'm not sure how many of those you can set up that way yet. Just basically skimmed through so far. Looks promising, but so far I haven't seen in much detail the keystrokes used to get around in Axe Edit. He just does it on-screen, pretty fast, so you have to watch carefully, or just try to figure it out yourself. But we're not talking about super-complicated stuff.

With the limited time I put in tonight, I think one of the things I'm finding is that seeing what it is that he's doing, might make it easier to go back into the manual to understand the concepts better.

And if I didn't explain myself clearly in the OP..., I'm not planning on showing how to do the things covered in his course. That wouldn't be cool at all. But instead, give an overview of what types of things one can learn from the course.

Welcome to the class!

I highly, highly recommend not skipping around. I know that is many students' impulse, but the class is carefully designed to build upon skills in order as the class progresses. Some of what you're describing that you're missing with keystrokes, etc. is likely covered in earlier chapters.

Welcome to the class!

I highly, highly recommend not skipping around. I know that is many students' impulse, but the class is carefully designed to build upon skills in order as the class progresses. Some of what you're describing that you're missing with keystrokes, etc. is likely covered in earlier chapters.
I will do that. I did watch in order, the 1st 3 sections, "Intro & Philosophy", "Setup & Global Settings", & "Basics of the Grid & Dialing in a Clean Tone", prior to looking ahead, to make sure I wasn't commenting on something that I had skipped, but perhaps I missed it.

Ok, so I went back to where the first grid is laid down (Grid Basics & Dialing in a Clean Tone), and I guess an example of the keystrokes I didn't get is when you connected all the blocks with shunts, all with one quick move. This is what I found to be helpful:
As the preset is built, it's a good, no, great, idea, to simply have Axe Edit open, and follow along, watching the cursor, and do the exact same clicks. Once I did that, I see just how quickly every block in the grid you're building gets connected.

From this point forward, instead of simply watching the video lessons, I'm going to do the same things in the video, whether it be building a preset, setting footswitches in an FC Controller, or shredding 16th triplets @ 140 bpm. Well, that last one may have to wait awhile...;)

Ok, so I went back to where the first grid is laid down (Grid Basics & Dialing in a Clean Tone), and I guess an example of the keystrokes I didn't get is when you connected all the blocks with shunts, all with one quick move. This is what I found to be helpful:
As the preset is built, it's a good, no, great, idea, to simply have Axe Edit open, and follow along, watching the cursor, and do the exact same clicks. Once I did that, I see just how quickly every block in the grid you're building gets connected.

From this point forward, instead of simply watching the video lessons, I'm going to do the same things in the video, whether it be building a preset, setting footswitches in an FC Controller, or shredding 16th triplets @ 140 bpm. Well, that last one may have to wait awhile...;)
Yes! I DEFINITELY recommend building along with me throughout the class, even though I provide all the presets. Not only will you be learning the methods, but you don't have to copy my numbers or settings, and your presets will end up sounding better for you than the ones I provide in the class!!

I really want to sign up. I'm in the middle of like 3 different music courses right now, though haha. One for theory with Michael Palmisano, one for Ableton techniques, and a Jamie Harrison song lesson.

I feel like I need to finish a couple of these before I launch another course.

Congrats. Great course and will save you many hours of trial and error. This is the best way to have a solid foundation in how to use and get the most out of the Ax Fx III.

I'm glad this thread was in page 1, I didn't have to go searching for it.

Bought the class and am making my way through it. Just got the AF3 this week. Working on setting the input levels. If anyone knowledgeable is reading this, you're to set the levels so you just hit the red when playing hard chords. My question is, what should the volume knob be set at when doing this, normal playing level or maxed out? I may need to adjust my pickups some as I couldn't get either an HSS strat or HH PRS to go red when pegging the volume knob.

Thanks in advance.

I forgot I made this thread! I got so far into the course, got what I needed, then since I enjoy the tones/effects I have in my go-to presets, I never bothered finishing the course, or updating this thread. I love the Axe III so much that it's essentially where I want it, and now I just play.

However, I'm not in a band, and I don't deep-dive into settings or tweak effects very much. If I ever gigged again, or started recording, I'm sure I'd go back to the course.

Bought the class and am making my way through it. Just got the AF3 this week. Working on setting the input levels. If anyone knowledgeable is reading this, you're to set the levels so you just hit the red when playing hard chords. My question is, what should the volume knob be set at when doing this, normal playing level or maxed out? I may need to adjust my pickups some as I couldn't get either an HSS strat or HH PRS to go red when pegging the volume knob.

Thanks in advance.
If it doesn't hit the red with some guitars, it doesn't matter. With my Majesty, I have it set very low, and the actual volume knob is for controlling how loud I want to monitor myself. It doesn't really matter either. I use headphones, so it's also quite low, but my tones sound fantastic.

Someone else could probably give you a more detailed explanation, but the above works great for me.

Thanks in advance.
Hottest guitar, volume knob all the way up, strum hard, adjust the input until you tickle the red, done.

Back
Top Bottom