I just ordered an FX8...

TRTTRTTRT

Experienced
I've been looking to switch things up for a while... tired of my giant pedalboard and limited drive sounds, etc., etc. I am looking for flexibility and inspiration and something that I can carry around to gigs without the need for pain management.

Anyway, I've been going back and forth between the Helix, the AX8 and a Kemper...of course with all of those I'd be changing my ENTIRE playing experience by switching to FRFR, etc. and frankly I am still not sure I want to ever do that.

Maybe someday,

Anyway, part of the desire to change things up was to record decent guitar sounds without using loud amps or guitar amp software... I had wanted the Helix for the USB audio, but never fully was convinced the amp sounds were there yet - though I think they will be eventually. Walking away from that meant buying a soundcard for the rehearsal space, and that realisation opened the door to the Kemper and AX8, but again, I am just not sure about FRFR and amp modelling, and love my amps.. so I realised... I could get an FX8, lose my pedal board and also get a Suhr Reactive Load when I need to record silently.

Then I had to figure out what the FX8 could do... could it do autoswells, could it do convincing analogue delay, could it most importantly do realistic drive pedals... in the end I think I watched 60 FX8 videos and decided that yes, it can.

So... I just pulled the trigger.

I will admit I am very nervous. Very very nervous... but... considering the almost unanimous love online for it, well... I think I'll be ok.

So... here's to a brave new world of sound!

Check out Pete Thorn's recent FX8 video. He also uses Suhr amps in his studio, with impressive results. It's a solid move.

Check out Pete Thorn's recent FX8 video. He also uses Suhr amps in his studio, with impressive results. It's a solid move.

Thanks! I did check it out, and Burgs, and a bunch of others... if took a LOT of looking of me personally to find someone using the more MIAB gain pedal sounds... which is something I'd tend to use... Burgs does some which was very helpful...

Anyway, I should have it by the end of the week... very excited :)

Now to learn how the hell to use it!

When you get the feel for it, and start having modifiers rocking multiple parameters with different start, end points, curves etc you will have an epiphany related to the creative possibilities available to you. This unit sounds great too.. I use a Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

When you get the feel for it, and start having modifiers rocking multiple parameters with different start, end points, curves etc you will have an epiphany related to the creative possibilities available to you. This unit sounds great too.. I use a Mesa Boogie Mark IV.

TBH with you the whole modifiers thing is one of the things that really sold me... I just noticed that the volume block isn't available, which is kinda a bummer, but I hope that that will be added at some point (and the synth)... of course I have so many new cool things to be messing with I should complain ;)

:)

I had a few moments creating a wicked wah, that as it peaks near the top, the q gets sharper, and as it goes down it gets less sharp. That's just the beginning. I use delay effect swells that also decrease mix level as well as increase feedback to avoid getting to loud, etc. There's so many great modifiers, and the effect quality is very high. You can recreate most scenarios with a bit of creativity.

I had a few moments creating a wicked wah, that as it peaks near the top, the q gets sharper, and as it goes down it gets less sharp. That's just the beginning. I use delay effect swells that also decrease mix level as well as increase feedback to avoid getting to loud, etc. There's so many great modifiers, and the effect quality is very high. You can recreate most scenarios with a bit of creativity.

That delay sounds deadly... I was hoping to get auto volume swells as I use that effect a lot on my Mobius, but I don't think I can without the volume block... or can I? Can I just find any other block like an eq and use that?

Actually - is the Volume Block available on the FX8? I was just looking at the Wiki and it's a bit confusing... anyone know if I can do auto swells?

You can! There is a volume block, and some sort of global volume too that you don't need a block for. I don't use it, but it's there for sure. Auto-swell is no problem.

You can! There is a volume block, and some sort of global volume too that you don't need a block for. I don't use it, but it's there for sure. Auto-swell is no problem.
FANTASTIC!

I was just confused because the WIKI doesn't have the volume/pan block listed at the top:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Effects

But then at the bottom it says there a "Simple volume block".

Whew... I can rest easy now... or learn how to do convincing swells with my pinky... lol...

LOL I would say you can do nearly everything you imagine and probably some stuff you didn't. All in all I don't miss my pedals. I did keep my eventide space, as the reverbs are cpu hungry, but most patches can still rock an internal reverb no problem, and they are excellent. Delays.. so many delays.

LOL I would say you can do nearly everything you imagine and probably some stuff you didn't. All in all I don't miss my pedals. I did keep my eventide space, as the reverbs are cpu hungry, but most patches can still rock an internal reverb no problem, and they are excellent. Delays.. so many delays.

I'm really psyched about the delays... the one pedal I was scared I'd miss was my Pigtronix Echolution 2, because I love the tones... but... I think I'll be able to ditch it as well... amazing..

I'm just gonna recreate all my pedals and then sell them... that's the plan anyway...

I'm super excited now... a bit less nervous... thank you!

I had an Eventide Timefactor, it's easily replaced by the FX8. It also has more than that, with the reallllly spacey megatap delay. The multi-delay is amazing too, very much a drop in replacement for the timefactor.

eeek! So exciting!!

My band is freaking out... they've seen me flip so many pedals... now I'm flipping an entire pedal board! ha!

Oh, can you... maybe you know this... can you do like momentary switching... so if I wanted a switch to do a divebomb or an octave up, but just momentarily... or is that something that needs a whole other scene? I'd rather not do that with an expression pedal if possible.. but again I can if need be :)

Your expression pedal can auto engage any effect no problem! I use that all the time for something like an octave dive bomb, or wah, etc. I have 1 FAS EV-1 i use as an expression that holds position, and a Mission Engineering EP-1 spring loaded for auto-engage effects, to ensure they never stay on by accident.

Your expression pedal can auto engage any effect no problem! I use that all the time for something like an octave dive bomb, or wah, etc. I have 1 FAS EV-1 i use as an expression that holds position, and a Mission Engineering EP-1 spring loaded for auto-engage effects, to ensure they never stay on by accident.

That spring loaded pedal sounds like something I gotta get... damn... didn't even know that existed!! Thanks again!!

No worries man, glad I could help alleviate some of your concerns. You will have fun soon, enjoy the exploration and creation.

I've been looking to switch things up for a while... tired of my giant pedalboard and limited drive sounds, etc., etc. I am looking for flexibility and inspiration and something that I can carry around to gigs without the need for pain management.

Anyway, I've been going back and forth between the Helix, the AX8 and a Kemper...of course with all of those I'd be changing my ENTIRE playing experience by switching to FRFR, etc. and frankly I am still not sure I want to ever do that.

Maybe someday,

Anyway, part of the desire to change things up was to record decent guitar sounds without using loud amps or guitar amp software... I had wanted the Helix for the USB audio, but never fully was convinced the amp sounds were there yet - though I think they will be eventually. Walking away from that meant buying a soundcard for the rehearsal space, and that realisation opened the door to the Kemper and AX8, but again, I am just not sure about FRFR and amp modelling, and love my amps.. so I realised... I could get an FX8, lose my pedal board and also get a Suhr Reactive Load when I need to record silently.

Then I had to figure out what the FX8 could do... could it do autoswells, could it do convincing analogue delay, could it most importantly do realistic drive pedals... in the end I think I watched 60 FX8 videos and decided that yes, it can.

So... I just pulled the trigger.

I will admit I am very nervous. Very very nervous... but... considering the almost unanimous love online for it, well... I think I'll be ok.

So... here's to a brave new world of sound!

Wait utilbthe new firmware drops after the AX8 is released. It will be even better and be more efficient with cpu use.

Back
Top Bottom