I just found heavenly tone with FRFR AND a traditional guitar cab!!

romanianreaper

Power User
So, I got my Matrix NL12 cab in the mail today. As advertised, it is a great, light, little cab with surprising low end and a traditional guitar cab sound. Since I initially was playing at low volume, and only thru one NL12, I wasn't blown completely away. But I could see there was definitely promise in this thing.

I decided to plug one channel of my Matrix GT1000FX into the Matrix NL12, and the second channel into my Xitone 1x12 FRFR wedge. I started playing and it sounded good, but again I wasn't completely blown away. As I switched the cab modeling off and on, I realized that both cabs were forced to share the same setup so I panicked a little, realizing that I might not be able to do FRFR AND the NL12. Then a fellow forum member hooked me up...

By simply putting an "FXL" block between the AMP and CAB blocks, my sound immediately transformed into an awesome tone! The FXL block in-between the blocks, ensures that my Matrix NL12 gets no cab modeling, which is exactly what I needed. The Matrix and Xitone obviously sound different and that separation really fills out the sound. The low end of the Matrix traditional guitar speaker gives me the low end my Xitone FRFR lacks and the Xitone lets me use FRFR and sounds great.

I highly recommend that if anyone feels pulled back and forth between whether to do FRFR or Traditional, keep in mind that you can do both! This is really a win-win for me and so glad I can have both from these great companies!!

I'm wondering if you could get the 212 NL cab, since I think you can run that stereo, and swap out one of the speakers with a Beta 12x FRFR cone and run it that way to mix the two in one package? How do you think that would sound?

Running 1x12 FR + 1x12 real cab is also my favorite setup. Even better is FR in stereo, + real cab.
But it's too much to carry.

I thought the NL12 was another FRFR. Hmmm.... Now of course I wonder what it sounds like. That can't be answered easily I'm sure.
Does the NL12 have a wider dispersion pattern, or is it a narrow beam on the highs like a normal guitar speaker?

Hi Yek...Just wondering what kind of setup you use live, if you don't mind me asking?

Same signal that goes to FR.

Out1 XLR to FOH
Out1 1/4" to FR
Out2 to power amp/cab

So just curious, how am I getting such a great sound with sending one XLR to the NL12 and the other XLR to the Xitone if they are both from the same channel? When I put the FX Loop between the AMP and CAB blocks, it instantly sounded better. What exactly did I do since I'm not using OUTPUT 2?

That's a great idea on a 2x12 cab . 1/2 of each.

My only concern would be if the cab has to be constructed differently for each speaker. The NL12 is obviously constructed in a way that may offer different internals (baffles, etc.) than what would work well for a FRFR speaker. Maybe the cab would have to be divided internally and additions made as necessary.

Yeah, unless the one XLR jack serves two purposes because I'm only using the XLR jacks. On the back of the unit it shows that both XLR jacks are OUTPUT 1. Am I reading it wrong?

Nope.. Its stereo output. If u had only one speaker u WD have set it to left only.

Which tells me check your I/O and see whether the output 1 is set to l copy r or a something like that ( if its anything except stereo I may have an explanation).

Edit.. Ignore TT that.. I am still flummoxed... If u ever find out how the fx loop improves sound without using out 2, lemme know

Edit edit. Hopefully you aren't in Colorado.... Enjoying the new freedoms

So just curious, how am I getting such a great sound with sending one XLR to the NL12 and the other XLR to the Xitone if they are both from the same channel? When I put the FX Loop between the AMP and CAB blocks, it instantly sounded better. What exactly did I do since I'm not using OUTPUT 2?

It seems to me that you're not connecting your stuff the right way.

If you use two different kinds of speakers: Cab and FR,
connect one of the XLR OUT1 outputs on the Axe-Fx to Matrix channel A, and
connect the Left/Mono jack OUT2 output on the Axe-Fx to Matrix channel B.

Connect Matrix channel A to the XiTone,
and connect Matrix channel B to the NL12.

The OUT1/A signal needs cabinet simulation. This is already in your preset.
The OUT2/B signal does not need cabinet simulation. This is done by adding FXL before the Cab block (turn down main Level in this block).

Now you have two separate signals, feeding both (different) speakers.

Since each chain is just one speaker, make sure that the signals mono by adjusting your I/O menu settings and preset settings where applicable.

Run this way all the time @ home since the monitors are there and the 2x12 is usually available. It is completely and utterly EPIC, better than any amp on the planet tone; but, honestly, I sort of expected it to be. Sort of like there's no need for someone who just won the the powerball jackpot to say "For better or worse, winning the powerball completely changes your life!!". I thought that was understood.

It seems to me that you're not connecting your stuff the right way.

If you use two different kinds of speakers: Cab and FR,
connect one of the XLR OUT1 outputs on the Axe-Fx to Matrix channel A, and
connect the Left/Mono jack OUT2 output on the Axe-Fx to Matrix channel B.

Connect Matrix channel A to the XiTone,
and connect Matrix channel B to the NL12.

The OUT1/A signal needs cabinet simulation. This is already in your preset.
The OUT2/B signal does not need cabinet simulation. This is done by adding FXL before the Cab block (turn down main Level in this block).

Now you have two separate signals, feeding both (different) speakers.

Since each chain is just one speaker, make sure that the signals mono by adjusting your I/O menu settings and preset settings where applicable.

So Yek, any idea why my sound is improving when I throw the FXL before the CAB block, especially since I have nothing plugged into OUTPUT 2?

Have you tried routing it the correct way yet? Out 1 > FRFR, Out 2 > NL12, with FXL inserted before the Cab block.

Yes I have and both ways sound phenomenal; however, I did notice that the Out 2 setup sounds better because that slight hollow sound is gone from the NL12 side. Unfortunately, the effects don't go into both sides (since FXL block is before effects) but I'm working on that.

One point I want to make is that the NL12 does sound ok whether or not the cab sims are on or off. As many have mentioned though, the louder you go the more you want the cab sims off because the cab starts to shake, etc. and sound more like a guitar cab.

I'm still not sure why I was able to hear a better, more separated sound when I put the FX Loop Block between the AMP and CAB blocks with only the Output 1 XLR right and left being used. The OUTPUT 2 knob did not work of course, but I had the I/O settings as "stereo" and the matrix setup in "stereo" and still getting a great, defined sound.

Regardless, it sounds great and stereo rules. :)

OP: have you tried the OWNHAMMER T2 SP mixes through your FRFR? My CLR thumps my chest pretty hard and even hits me with moving air. Love my FRFR tone with those IR cabs.

Back
Top Bottom