I joined a Floyd Tribute band last night!

RevDrucifer

Fractal Fanatic
I've been considering joining a cover band recently just so I can get out and have some fun playing guitar in a band again, as I was the singer in the last 3 bands I've played in in the last 15 years. I miss it! I also recently ordered a replica of Gilmour's Red Strat from MJT, which I'll have in about a month. I got the Gilmour EMG's a week and a half ago and started dialing in some Gilmour tones, or trying to, on my III immediately after. To say I'm a massive Gilmour fanatic is an understatement. He's the entire reason I wanted to play to begin with.

Last night I figured I'd do my weekly check of Craigslist to see if there were any bands I'd be interested in jumping into and came across an ad for a Floyd tribute band. They were looking for two guitarist and a keyboard player, was well written and the guy is a musical director. I shot him an e-mail with a quick clip I made earlier this week of me playing the intro to "Sorrow" and an original tune I wrote/recorded which is the perfect resume piece for something like this. I had a phone call 5 minutes later (clearly he didn't listen to the song! :tearsofjoy:)

This guy does this kind of thing with a couple other bands, booking them for corporate gigs and private functions. I despise talking on the phone, but this guy kept me on for an hour and twenty minutes. He kept asking me if I could play this or that, what my skill level was, I kept telling him, "Just check out that song I sent you, I played every instrument on it and you'll know just from that if I'm capable of doing the gig or not.", but he just kept talking and talking. After an hour and him asking me again of what I thought I could do in the band (we all might fill in on key/synth parts and vocals) I said "Dude, just listen to the damn song!" :D He laughed and said "Ok ok!", only took a couple minutes before he said "As far as I'm concerned, you're in the band. Your attitude is great, I can tell you're a positive guy and I can tell you can play this stuff. Come by this week to hang out with us and maybe we'll play a bit."

I've got "Time", "Comfortably Numb", "Wish You Were Here" and "Shine On" to get down by Thursday. Now, as avid of a Floyd/Gilmour fan as I am, I haven't played these songs since I was in middle school. I went onto heavier music for a while and then originals only. While I know these songs in my head note for note, to the point I know when there's string noises in the live recordings and exactly where they are, but I haven't played them on guitar in 20+ years. Something pretty cool that made me extra stoked; PULSE is my favorite Floyd era/Gilmour tones and they're basically looking to recreate PULSE live. Those are the arrangements we're going by (which aren't too different than the studio recordings aside from the solos) which is great, because I've got more time spent listening to that album than any other album in existence.

I figured I'd tackle"Comfortably Numb" first, the first solo only took me a couple times running through it to remember it all. The 2nd solo will be a bit more challenging because it's like 5 fucking minutes long. :tearsofjoy:

I'm really stoked though, this will cover two desires at once; to play in a cover band AND I get to pretend I'm Gilmour while I do it!! Now I'm twice as anxious for the CAR Replica to show up!

Here's the "Sorrow" clip I sent him. Still needs some tweaking as I need to get the rotary/chorus dialed in a little better, but it's getting there. Crazy how much the EMG's do. I'll be posting plenty of Floyd clips/presets over the next couple months!

Congratulations! I wish you good times with the band and great gigs in the sky

I've recently moved my DG-20 set from the Fender American Deluxe Strat to the Schecter Nick Johnston USA. I prefer that guitar 100 times more than the Fender. The Fender now stays with the classic SSL-5/Fat-50/Fat-50

Takes away the fun of dialing in my own! Mixing/tweaking tones is just as much fun, if not more, than playing for me.
This is the way!

Try building around the FAS Butter instead of the Hiwatt. It reveals more nuances from the guitar. Now the Hiwatt seems kind of sterile to me. It requires a lot of work around it to extract some juice (hence the Gilmour rig) while the Butter is more an instant plug and satisfy. Just a Tube 3-knob drive in front of it, and ready to go

This is the way!

Try building around the FAS Butter instead of the Hiwatt. It reveals more nuances from the guitar. Now the Hiwatt seems kind of sterile to me. It requires a lot of work around it to extract some juice (hence the Gilmour rig) while the Butter is more an instant plug and satisfy. Just a Tube 3-knob drive in front of it, and ready to go

Dude, I've been thinking the same damn thing about the Hiwatt. Doesn't matter what cab I put on there, or even now with an actual cab I'm running it into, it's got to be the most boring damn amp I've ever heard. So yeah, I can definitely see why he put the Alembic in front of them. Thanks, man! I'm dialing in tones right now with the live rig I tossed together for the first rehearsal. I only had a guitar head to power my 2x12 with, so I grabbed a PS-170. The EV-1 came in today and I have an EP-1 coming in as well. This'll do in the meantime while I get the Mesa 2x12's.

Edit- The Butter isn't in the FM9 yet! :tearsofjoy:

FM9Rig.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom