I have to say this. Reading this has made me rethink every preset I have EVER made

If I had my way there would be only FAS models but too many people demand reproductions of existing amps.

Just for clarity, the FAS Class A is not one of Cliff's idealized amp models.

It is a happy accident that was the result of Cliff making a mistake but liking the results.

From the wiki:

Which is why "ears and not eyes" is one of the mottos around here... Class A does not equal Vox ;)
Illustrates my point perfectly. Only people like you, the 1/10th of 1% would know that.

The Modern III amp with 2 MESA 4x12 V30 IR's (#174 and #108) are my main sound. Using a TS808 in front to boost it.
Comparing them to the 5150 50W, ENGL Savage, Ubershall or 6160 it just has a nice blend of them all. Chugs for days.

Works great on my passives (quite hot Bare Knuckle Juggernauts) but my active EMG's as well!

(I use a AXE III though probably the same results on a FM3.

The Modern III amp with 2 MESA 4x12 V30 IR's (#174 and #108) are my main sound. Using a TS808 in front to boost it.
Comparing them to the 5150 50W, ENGL Savage, Ubershall or 6160 it just has a nice blend of them all. Chugs for days.

Works great on my passives (quite hot Bare Knuckle Juggernauts) but my active EMG's as well!

(I use a AXE III though probably the same results on a FM3.
I'm liking the Modern II just a little bit more, but all the "Moderns" are great.

Yeah that would be fun. No suggestive names either. Just numbers to distinguish them and people would have to rely solely on their ears. Things get interesting when you remove people's preconceived notions and bias. Double blind test can make it painfully obvious just how suggestable and biased we all are about a lot of things.
would be a good test for sure. The reason I bought the axe if so I can (poorly attempt) to sound like many famous guitarists in bands for my covers gigs so just numbers would have pushed me into a kemper I guess

I have loved Buttery from the start of my II in 2014.
Me too! Great fan of the Buttery together with my Strat with a Hotrail pup in bridge position. But I don't know any others who like this amp too. Thought I'd be the only one ... I typically have the negative feedback on 5 and the presence on 8 - just love this sound.

Haha, yes, but I'll be totally honest: it lost some of its specific charm, somewhere along the road.
That's interesting. What did you the Buttery replace with? Maybe I should try that out, although I still like the Buttery.
A FAS model? I have to say that I like them too.

Me too! Great fan of the Buttery together with my Strat with a Hotrail pup in bridge position. But I don't know any others who like this amp too. Thought I'd be the only one ... I typically have the negative feedback on 5 and the presence on 8 - just love this sound.
Are you using Axe-Edit? I posted a bug recently because Axe-Edit shows the control as Presence on the Ideal tab when it's actually Hi Cut.

You can really tell by turning it up and listening to the change in tone. I like it up about 7-8, too.

Are you using Axe-Edit? I posted a bug recently because Axe-Edit shows the control as Presence on the Ideal tab when it's actually Hi Cut.

You can really tell by turning it up and listening to the change in tone. I like it up about 7-8, too.
Yes, I'm on Axe-Edit. I remember the tone winning more mids and clarity when I turn the Presence/Hi Cut know up. I am a bit confused about what the negative feedback is really doing and why the "authentic" know changes from "Presence" to "Hi Cut" sometimes. So it generally should be a Hi Cut with a buttery?

Glad I'm not the only fan of good old Buttery! :)

Yes, I'm on Axe-Edit. I remember the tone winning more mids and clarity when I turn the Presence/Hi Cut know up. I am a bit confused about what the negative feedback is really doing and why the "authentic" know changes from "Presence" to "Hi Cut" sometimes. So it generally should be a Hi Cut with a buttery?

Glad I'm not the only fan of good old Buttery! :)
There's another setting that will affect whether there's a Presence or Hi Cut because it affects the way the circuit works... But I don't recall which.

As far as the Buttery, if I load the type fresh I see Presence in Authentic but Hi Cut in Advanced. But cranking the value the behavior is definitely Hi Cut.

Edit:

It's the Damping parameter. Here is a reference post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/damping.59333/post-740665

Edit #2:

The link above is relative to the Axe Fx II. I believe the Damping parameter is now the Negative Feedback control on Axe Fx III / FM3:

E4BE9113-1469-4441-A096-FE3E51406043.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know what it is, but I can't get a tone I like out of any of the FAS models. It's hard to describe, but there's something about the harmonics that they all do in the gain structure that just rubs me the wrong way. I'm probably just an outlier.

I’m not typically a Strat guy. Main guitar is PRS 408. I love hearing Strats. 408 is in the shop for fret work and I’ve been playing my stock American Strat. Not very successful at dialing my sounds in. Switching over from II to FM3 too. Having fun trying though!

Update: Between FAS Modern II and FAS Crunch, I'm finding 75% of what I want the FM3 to do. The remaining 25% would be a "crystal clean" tone. I'd REALLY like for @FractalAudio to make an FAS Jazz, which would be a custom Fractal version of the Roland Jazz Chorus, but I know that probably won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom