I have Slash's Guitar Tone

Are you in a GnR cover band ?

I don't really see the point in trying to copy someone elses tone, especially if its one that I don't so much like. I think Slash is a cool guy, good player, and GnR is great music which I enjoy and grew up on, but I've never actually wanted his tone...

Its like I love the Misfits, but would I ever want my guitar tone to sound like Doyle's on those early records ? No way!, but I still enjoy it, just don't want to copy it, make sense ?

I might try to replicate someone else's tone if I had material that was written in the same vein and that I think would work well for a song.

Last edited:
Are you in a GnR cover band ?

I don't really see the point in trying to copy someone elses tone, especially if its one that I don't so much like. I think Slash is a cool guy, good player, and GnR is great music which I enjoy and grew up on, but I've never actually wanted his tone...

Its like I love the Misfits, but would I ever want my guitar tone to sound like Doyle's on those early records ? No way!, but I still enjoy it, just don't want to copy it, make sense ?

There is nothing wrong with copying another guitarist's tone. Just like there is nothing wrong with copying another guitarist's playing style. This is how we all start out. We start out as fans and start playing our favorite songs and solos. Ideally in doing so it helps us to understand how a guitar tone gets created and how we should play the guitar. It can even give us new ideas to expand upon that we otherwise would never have thought of. Every great guitar player starts out that way. It only becomes weird if you never progress beyond the copy stage and move into the interpret as your own stage.

As for Slash, he isn't real. He's just made up by our parents.

Wunterslash kapoentja.... ;)

After doing some seriously critical listening and volume matching the studio version with the posted clip, the main discrepancy to my ears centers around the 2.8k range. Bumping that range specifically a few dB with a semi-wide Q yielded very good results, to my ears at least. The reverb is a bit heavier than the studio version from what I can hear. Anyway, I updated the OP's clip with the aforementioned changes and uploaded it to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/limmtkxfeceyg7v/Night Train.mp3?dl=0

Again, if you level match the volume between that clip and the studio version and switch between them it sounds quite passable, to me anyway.
Impressed by this to be honest, but not sure if "passable" is the right word.

Isn't that basically the whole point of a good guitar tone? To do well in a mix?

If you ask me, at the end of the day good tone is about complementing the song and bringing pleasure to the listener. A good mix serves as a vehicle for that, in my opinion.

Probably the most informative video I have seen on Slash's guitar tone EVER!!! I mean, you have to take in account that Slash isn't playing the guitar and since tone is in the players fingers..... this sounds dang close to the real deal as far as his tone does circa current timeframe!!! Can we get him to make an IR pack for all the Slash enthusiast out here???

So, I jumped down the rabbit hole again trying to chase Slash's tone again...... this is like my 3rd or 4th attempt at this. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It's still got a little bit of tweaking, but I went full overboard and found a set of 80's SD APH-1's to throw in my LP..... so I'm gonna wait to do the final tweaks till I get them installed this weekend.

Here is what I've got so far..... any tips, tweaks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know the playing isn't the cleanest in the world, but don't be too harsh on me.

So, I jumped down the rabbit hole again trying to chase Slash's tone again...... this is like my 3rd or 4th attempt at this. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It's still got a little bit of tweaking, but I went full overboard and found a set of 80's SD APH-1's to throw in my LP..... so I'm gonna wait to do the final tweaks till I get them installed this weekend.

Here is what I've got so far..... any tips, tweaks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know the playing isn't the cleanest in the world, but don't be too harsh on me.

Hey Shaun, sounds almost there. When I listen to it I feel like it is missing that "cocked wah" midrange sound. It's almost like you have the foundations of the sound, but are missing just that element to complete it. Might be achievable using a drive pedal (low gain) like a TS in front of the amp? Or messing around with an actual Wah block at a fixed position.

Back
Top Bottom