I have Slash's Guitar Tone

Dialled it in on a friend's Axe FX II. Perfection if I ever saw it.
im not here to make an offence but you said that you didnt know anyone who has an axe fx in another thread when i said that you shouldnt be lazy and go try the unit yourself and now as i see you could try the tweak the tone you want instead of criticize many people who tried to help.
again not here to start an argument just wanted to say you could be more constructive from the start

Yeah. After I made my first post, I went and listened to the Guns n Roses recording to make a direct comparison instead of just going off of my memory. Then, I came back and made that second post.
Okay, so you're saying the original has more "snarl" than my attempt, and you're being serious?

well compared to the Guitar Hero Multi-track stems for "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City," sorry man, it's not even similar to my ears. You are playing "Nightrain" in your clip and Slash has got pretty much the same tone on that whole album for every song IMO... yeah listened to it at least 50000 times, no exaggeration....

dial back the gain, go mono, and lose the mid heavy reverb. Slash's tone is anything but fat. You need to nail his "ba-cock" chicken style attack also, it's a huge part of his tone.

Its not an awful tone, but it doesn't sound much like Slash's AFD tone to me either, sorry to say. The overall voicing just sounds way different. Slash has kind of a thin, cutting tone, with a lot less gain. Doesn't sound great in isolation, but works great in the band mix.

The tone in the clip has way too much, for lack of a better work, grind. Sounds a bit more like an earlier modeler doing a Mesa-based metal tone. Not a GnR Marshall rock tone

Now for the pertinent question; can you get half as close as this?

Are you in a GnR cover band ?

I don't really see the point in trying to copy someone elses tone, especially if its one that I don't so much like. I think Slash is a cool guy, good player, and GnR is great music which I enjoy and grew up on, but I've never actually wanted his tone...

Its like I love the Misfits, but would I ever want my guitar tone to sound like Doyle's on those early records ? No way!, but I still enjoy it, just don't want to copy it, make sense ?

Its not an awful tone, but it doesn't sound much like Slash's AFD tone to me either, sorry to say. The overall voicing just sounds way different. Slash has kind of a thin, cutting tone, with a lot less gain. Doesn't sound great in isolation, but works great in the band mix.

The tone in the clip has way too much, for lack of a better work, grind. Sounds a bit more like an earlier modeler doing a Mesa-based metal tone. Not a GnR Marshall rock tone
If that tone seriously sounds more like a Mesa to you than a JCM 800, I hope you don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

After doing some seriously critical listening and volume matching the studio version with the posted clip, the main discrepancy to my ears centers around the 2.8k range. Bumping that range specifically a few dB with a semi-wide Q yielded very good results, to my ears at least. The reverb is a bit heavier than the studio version from what I can hear. Anyway, I updated the OP's clip with the aforementioned changes and uploaded it to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/limmtkxfeceyg7v/Night Train.mp3?dl=0

Again, if you level match the volume between that clip and the studio version and switch between them it sounds quite passable, to me anyway.

I just found this:

Is that the point of reference?

Or this?

If it's the album, I think you're running with more bass and gain than either the left or the right channel. If it's that isolated track I think you're just a little bass heavy. Easy enough to do a Tone Match against that isolated track but the source is kind of shit and who knows if that's really the GnR track or someone's take on it?

It's not a bad tone though. Sounds like a hot JCM to me.

I just found this:

I've heard that one, though something's amiss with the track as it sounds heavily muffled and lacking clarity. It's either not from the actual studio multi-track or someone tried to rip the rhythm guitar from the studio version with less than stellar results.

I just found this:

Or this?

If it's the album, I think you're running with more bass and gain than either the left or the right channel. If it's that isolated track I think you're just a little bass heavy. Easy enough to do a Tone Match against that isolated track but the source is kind of shit and who knows if that's really the GnR track or someone's take on it?

It's not a bad tone though. Sounds like a hot JCM to me.

The point of reference is the album track. There is no isolated guitar track for Nightrain unfortunately, and the one you posted definitely isn't Slash or Izzy.

Back
Top Bottom