I have Lincoln Brewster's Axe Fx Tones from Real Life

pull75

Inspired
I have Lincoln's actual Axe Fx settings I just aquired from his old bass player Norm stockton. I believe they were for the Ultra. I have an Axe Fx 2. Anyway to transfer them over or view them to recreate them? If anyone wants them PM your email address I'll gladly share.

I'd love to see them. I don't have a gen 1 unit anymore though. Anyone out there that can post screen shots of Axe Edit?

Not possible to transfer from Ultra to AXE II, but someone created a "viewer" tool for presets long time ago which should usable to view settings... god knows whats the name of that little program... I'm sure someone will chime in on this...

Shite... It was called AXEReporter, but was only for AXE-II presets... no luck for ultra/standards presets. Sorry for bringing your hopes up

WOW !

THANKS for these ....

Any chance we could get a screen shot of both the GEQ and the PEQ too ?

And what is the filter used for at the end ? Solo Boost ?

THANKS !

WOW !

THANKS for these ....

Any chance we could get a screen shot of both the GEQ and the PEQ too ?

And what is the filter used for at the end ? Solo Boost ?

THANKS !
Yes I can when I get home from work later possibly. I can tell you on that patch the EQ is flat and the other filter was disabled upon opening. The other issue is, I have no idea which patch he used for what, there are a bunch!!!

if anyone with an axe ultra could do some demos with a strat using these tones so us axe fx 2 guys have an audio reference I would be forever grateful! Just PM me and I'll email you the entire bundle. I realize they're on the Real Life CD but he layers so many tracks that it would be nice to hear these tones alone.

gift.jpg

Hi Josh,
Just had a few minutes to look over the presets in my Ultra tonight. Thanks again for sending!!

Unfortunately, at first blush they don't seem to work that well for me. I think it's the case of different guitar, speakers, in a room, vs a stage, not to mention fingers and style of play. Overall a bit underwhelmed. If you look at the bank, only about the first 15-20 presets seem to be his. Many of the presets are the originals from fractal in the bank. Don't know if he tweaked them for his own use or if they're still stock. Checked out a couple and they sounded like the stock fractal preset.

There seems to be about 10-15 versions of his "plexi" and "screaming plexi" patches. These are obviously a lead type tone, but with my guitar (mid 80's strat with Kinman pu's) through a pair of Equator D5's, the tone sounded kind of flat and hollow. I'm not sure what he was doing with all the different versions of the same preset. I'm thinking maybe he was saving different tweaked versions to compare. I couldn't tell much difference between the different versions. Effects all pretty much the same. I was surprised that the reverb was pretty high and not dialed in much. Almost like just a stock reverb block with no tweaking. Seemed like that added to the overall hollowness I heard. I'm not knocking the presets at all, for all I know, you get them cranked up on a big stage and they may be just perfect. That's the problem, I was only able to check them at a room level, not whisper quiet but certainly not gig level.

I guess my biggest surprise was that it didn't seem like the reverb and delay were dialed in that well to me. Maybe it just wasn't what I'm used too or like to hear, but these seemed to have a pretty heavy mix on the reverb and pretty light mix on the delay. I couldn't find too many connections to pedals so it didn't look like he had on/off or expression pedals changing things within the preset. But I was surprised at how high the reverb was and how it seemed to give the overall tone a hollow sound (almost the Blanket over the speakers sound.) Sounded ok at first, but after a few minutes of playing it started to annoy me a little. I didn't really investigate further since I only had about an hour to check them out.

Over all I was a little disappointed that there really wasn't much variation in the presets. There is a series of "acoustic" presets. All with very little sonic difference. They sounded good and clean but sounded like maybe a basic patch for his acoustic guitar.
A series of the fore-mentioned plexi presets, again with little variation between them, and one called "Cliffs of Dover". I tried that and I didn't play and sound like Eric Johnson!!! MAJOR disappointment. Ha! There were a few others that I can't remember right now.

I don't know, I guess they sounded ok, but I think I could dial in something closer, or at least more enjoyable for me to play using my guitar/monitor system. I tried turning on the drive blocks and if he used both at once, with my equipment at least, it just created a feedback loop. I think it's that same old problem of different equipment, presets designed for studio or stage, fingers, playing concepts, etc. Maybe these will be just the thing for someone else that plays more his style.
Again, I have no idea what his use was for these presets other than the bank is labeled "Road Ax-fx" so I'm not knocking them at all. Maybe these were just his base sounds and he added other pedals for sounds? To be honest I'm not that familiar with Lincoln's rig. I don't really play in that style myself so that has to be figured in too when reviewing.

I'm not done investigating yet. Maybe I'm just missing something or was expecting some wilder presets so was a little disappointed. Or maybe Lincoln just has so many great tones in his fingers that he doesn't need great sounding presets! Ha!

Unfortunately I don't have a way to record a sample at the moment since my music computer's power supply was fried about a month ago during a power outage.
I'll keep looking at them and add comments if I discover something.
Good luck translating these over to your Axe II. Now that you can open them in Axe Edit I think you can probably get something pretty close as there doesn't seem to be anything too extreme in the presets.

THANKS AGAIN for sharing the files!! I wish I could say OMG THE BEST EVER!, but maybe after spending some more time with them and tweaking a little for my equipment I'll warm up to them. I really appreciate you offering these to the Ultra community! We don't get too much love around here no more. Still love my Ultra though. I OFTEN jones for a new Axe II and read the forum religiously as there's still so much you can learn here that relates to the Ultra. But to be honest I can still switch on my Ultra, dial up a patch, and be lost playing for hours. Even the Ultra is better than any tube amp set up I've had for consistency and flexibility. Adjustments with the guitar volume and tone controls give such a wide range of tones I can almost always find something I love. When I come up for air sometimes I just can't believe that it needs to be any better and the cravings for the new Axe II stop for a bit. :) Ha! (Now the Ax8 sounds interesting.......)

Steve
gibson335

The amp block settings struck me: the HIGHs....treble & presence maxed out AND Bright switch on...never seen that before. But, the Ultra was overall darker sounding/muddy compared to what we have now.

Back
Top Bottom