i have issues. anyone help.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
So, got my MFC today. Sold my all access in preparation. Problems I have.

1. In axe mode, I have no patch names, no tune info and slow patch changes. I'm using a 7 pin rocktron cable I have used with the all access. I'm presuming the core is 5 core and needs to be 7 for two way comms. It fandom powers no problem.

2. IA buttons don't work. Only the tap tempo and tune. I'm presuming this is because I changed the cc the fx blocks respond to so it matched the all access. Basically switch 6 is cc6, switch8 is,cc8 etc. Do have to reset this on the axe. If so does anyone have the original assignments so I don't have to restore factory settings complete.

3. I can't program the axe when the mfc is attached and in axe mode. The MIDI receive light flashes every second or so, and display rests to the patch recall screen from the edit when it does. I'm presuming the mfc keeps sending the patch change as its getting no data from the axe (see problem 1).

4. In non axe mode, can I directly access bank c? Did this on the all access with a course control change. Can this be done on the mfc.

Finally, how do I check which firmware is on the mfc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Did you read the Quick-Start guide?

1. Make sure you have the latest firmware for you Axe-Fx.
2. You don't have to manually reassign the CC numbers. Just go to the Utility menu and reset system parameters.
3. See #1
4. Yes, see the manual.

Thanks. I will check the firmware (once I find out how to check on the MFC !!). the Axe was updated to 10.03 last week. tha latest Axe-Edit works fone with the Axe (havent tried with the MFC yet).

Will resetting system parameters change my modifyer settings?

On the bank thing, I did read the manual. it talkes of setting the befault bank - which i set to bank C. In Axe Mode it works fine - pressing th patch change buttons accesses the correct preset in bank C. in non Axe mode however it doesnt, it accesses bank a. Did i miss the bit about bank access in non Axe mode? or is it supposed to woek in both modes?

Last edited:
Firmware is 10.03, everything from the quick start is OK, Sysex is on send all, system has been reset. Same problem.

However, connecting a 5 pin from Axe send to MFC receive and everything works. So either:

1. the Rocktron 7 pin cable is no good. I know its fine for one way comms, as firstly the MFC works in non axe mode, and secondly it works fine with my All Access (including Fantom Power). Does the cable need 7 cores? 2 power, 1 grounds, one pair send, one pair receive? I susspect the cable is 5 core (ground, 2 x power, 2 x data).

2. Either the MFC isnt receiving or the Axe isnt sending data via the single cable (axe receive, MFC send).

I own a few of the Rocktron cables - they all work with the MFC for me. I'm guessing your cable is at fault.

Im not sure you know. the cable works fione for sending Midi data from the MFC in both Axe and non Axe mode, it fantom poweres fine, and works with my all Access. My hope was you needed 2 pairs of data cores for 2 way comms but the Rocktron only had one pair. If they work normally then its highly unlikely to be the cabe (though I have a custom one comming from G66 in case).

Its also highly unlikely the MFC is faulty as it has been used on G66s shop floor for demo so you would think it was been tried with a single cable. Im concerned that its actually my Axe-FX which for some reason isnt sending the necessary data via its receive socket. I is obviously sending it because the MFC is getting it via the Axes send socket. Something isnt right though.

Guess it was the cable one wired with 5 cores. the 7 core cable from G66 works fine.

Just to confirm that here in australia the rocktron 7pin cables do not work fully with the axe-fx and mfc, you cannot use the tuner or the IA switches with these cables and unfortunately they seem to be the only brand of 7pin midi cable that are readily available here in australia. My local store is trying to find the Hosa 7pin cables, i will confirm the suitability and availability when I get one.

So, got my MFC today. Sold my all access in preparation. Problems I have.

1. In axe mode, I have no patch names, no tune info and slow patch changes. I'm using a 7 pin rocktron cable I have used with the all access. I'm presuming the core is 5 core and needs to be 7 for two way comms. It fandom powers no problem.

2. IA buttons don't work. Only the tap tempo and tune. I'm presuming this is because I changed the cc the fx blocks respond to so it matched the all access. Basically switch 6 is cc6, switch8 is,cc8 etc. Do have to reset this on the axe. If so does anyone have the original assignments so I don't have to restore factory settings complete.

3. I can't program the axe when the mfc is attached and in axe mode. The MIDI receive light flashes every second or so, and display rests to the patch recall screen from the edit when it does. I'm presuming the mfc keeps sending the patch change as its getting no data from the axe (see problem 1).

4. In non axe mode, can I directly access bank c? Did this on the all access with a course control change. Can this be done on the mfc.

Finally, how do I check which firmware is on the mfc.

Thanks in advance.

How did you resolve the MIDI receive light problem in point #3? I'm having the same problem when using the MFC and Axe Edit. Was it the cable? I posted a message last night but haven't gotten any responses yet....thanks!

Back
Top Bottom