I have GAS

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
I hate to mention "the competition", but the tone that Lasse gets out his Kemper after profiling his Uberschall kicks me in the nuts, every time I hear it.

I want a Kemper rack to save me hours of tweaking like a meth head and expand my sonic capabilities.

I feel like such a lazy Judas, being tempted by the dark side....

Is it a coincidence that it's nearly "return of the 6th" after "May the 4th be with you"?

Kemper: Bogner Uberschall through matching cab - YouTube

It's not a case of the Kemper suiting my needs better per se. I just like the idea of having a bog standard recto tone or bogner etc, with no frills. Nothing will ever replace my baby, but i find myself constantly tweaking, instead of actually playing. I just thought that the Kemper could save me some time when i have one of those days where time is short. Why not use both?

I've just re-read my OP. I will NEVER sell my Axe Fx 2. Even a Kemper that could cook and take the kids to school wouldn't replace my 2. I was toying with the idea of having both.

Man I feel like such a douche bag for starting this thread...

Last edited:
oh i hear ya...I've been thinking of the Kemper myself. i'm just not sure how hard it is to get those sounds. Maybe i'll be tweaking the kemper just as much...i don't know.

The only thing that I'd say is that first it's been argued to death on many forums and it usually gets pretty ugly which is pretty sad to be honest. I stay away from the discussions because it becomes ignorant really quickly. The only other thing that I'd say about the subject is that this is a board that is hosted by a direct competitor. I'm not saying that you did anything horrible, but it is one of those areas of internet etiquette that people love to throw in your face pretty quickly so be prepared to defend yourself. :)

As far as the KPA is concerned I've been a big fan of the idea behind it for a while. I love clever ideas and it's clever. I'm not fully sold on the execution from what I've seen of it and I'm definitely not sure about how it'd work into my workflow. If I had a bunch of amps I could see the benefit even though I'd probably just use the amps. As it stands I'd be 100% at the mercy of other people's profile creation which takes too much of the control out of my hands. Then again the real mark I have against it doesn't have anything to do with the KPA itself, but more to do with the AxeFXII not leaving me wanting for anything else. If I wasn't happy I'd be using something else. That doesn't mean that my experience is what everyone else is or should have and it's why I get so frustrated when people argue over these things. They're just tools/toys. What you choose to use doesn't define you as a person and it's all about getting from what's in your head to reality. Two very different ways of going about it between the two big dogs in this race. Shouldn't matter how you do it so long as you can get there.

Thanks for your input. We talk about real amps all day long. Shouldn't we regard their manufacturers as competitors too? I don't think that it's healthy to shy away from Line 6 or Kemper. Maybe they'll have a development at some point which might make a great addition to our beloved Axe Fx's. we can't just live in a bubble IMO.

Wow, 15 views and not one comment. This post must be a real faux pas....
Not so much a faux pas. Maybe the Kemper really is the thing for you.

I just listened to the clip and, to be honest, the Axe's tone will kick you in the nuts just as hard if you mix that much bass guitar into it. :)

Edit: I just listened to the clip again; everything the guitar plays is duplicated on both the bass and the kick drum, in perfect unison. That kind of treatment will make even Tiny Tim's ukulele sound heavy. :)

Last edited:
I own both an Axe-II & a KPA. It is certainly not overkill to own both because they each have their strengths & weaknesses. The Axe-II is currently the better overall unit because it simply offers more. You could find 'some' things about the KPA approach & 'certain' tones that you prefer though.

I think most of the butt hurt across internet forums comes from guys who just cannot, or simply refuse to have $4,000 tied up in 2 digital devices. Therefore they purchase one of them & put blinders on & get defensive about the other. Even if it's possible the other one would be more to their liking for some things if they simply tried it.

I'm selfish about gear. I don't get too precious about a particular product or company. I enjoy having choices, keeping an open mind and trying out things for myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. We talk about real amps all day long. Shouldn't we regard their manufacturers as competitors too? I don't think that it's healthy to shy away from Line 6 or Kemper. Maybe they'll have a development at some point which might make a great addition to our beloved Axe Fx's. we can't just live in a bubble IMO.

Yep. I don't quite get the "family" thing. Like riding a Harley Davidson or no bike at all 8)

Buy what suits your ears and needs. The Kemper is a lovely unit.

Back
Top Bottom