I have developed a fault - help!!

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I have forwarded this to G66, but thought Id see if anyone here has an idea.

I appear to have developed a fault, and TBH wasn't sure if it was the Axe or the MFC. Basically, my CC pedal connected to EP 1 stopped working - or rather the Wah on auto engage didn't work. I checked the cable and i was getting a reading at the MFC end. I was also getting the MIDI light on the Axe lighting up green when I opperated the pedal, so something is being transmitted when I opperate the pedal.

OK - So I went into the MFC set-up and checked everything was OK. The EP 1 was set to #18, which was assigned to external 1 in the Axe, and Ext 1 was attached to the modifyer - but nothing was showing on the modifyer screen when I operated the pedal.

i tried to calibtate the pedal - but the MFC doesn't appear to be reading anything (the default values dont change when I opperate the pedal).

Now Im confused - so go back to Axe-FX Mode. Now the MFC isnt working properly. I have Bank C set to default back. When I press 1, The Axe switches to the correct patch momenterily, then reverts to the correct patch number but in the wrong bank (so pression 1 goes to 256, then back to 000). the MFC though is still reading the correct patch name, FX block states etc - and pressing the IAs opperate the correct FX blocks though. Its as if it switched the patch - polled the Axe and got the information - then re-set the patch to bank A, while keeping bank Cs information on its display.

Turning the Axe Mode off and things work correctly - though as I cant access anything but Bank A, who knows - the problem is accessing a different bank so not sure if this is relevent or not. If I put in an offset - that is map 000 to 004 for instance, I still get patch 000.

Next I disconnected the MFC, and connected the Axe up to my PC and Axe-Edit. Everyhing seems to work correctly. When I change patches on Axe-Edit (set to bank C) I get the correct patch on the Axe. I can toggle FX blocks on/off etc no problem.

It would appear from this its the MFC at fault. I did a factory reset (just in case Id changed something by mistake - though I hadnt actually saved any changes) - but that hasnt changed anything - I still get the same problems.

Its strange that the CC pedal stopped working for no apparent reason (it had been fine) - and that the rest of the MFC was fine - until I went into Edit. Even when I just looked at the setting and didn't actually change anything, when I came out of edit nothing was right. As I say, I may have suspected Id done something, but checking again everything looked OK, and doing the factory reset didn't solve it.

I even did a firmware update, although I tried to overwrite the 019 firmware with another copy of v019 and dont know if this is actually possible. Anyway - I entered the update screen and transmitted the data. The MFC immediately showed "0% complete" as it should, and would appear to indicate its receiving something - however it never moves from 0%. Even when the data has finished transmiting. Booting the MFC from here results in the same problems I had before.

It seems to be that the MIDI information is goosed. Something gone pop maybe screwing with the commands? Anyway - quite angry and then frustraited, then depressed last night. Feel better this morning but still have the issue.

Im praying its the MFC not the Axe (though it would appear to my novice brain it is) as the MFC is 3 months old so in warentee - the Axe is 2 1/2 years old so isnt :(

Anyway - anyone got any ideas while I wait for G66 to get back?

Yeh - that worked.

I have NO Idea what happened, but Im fixed. I had to factory reset the MFC, then RE-Calibrate the CC pedal. That fixed the Wah issue. Then I had to factory reset the Axe-FX, which fixed the Bank issue (hadnt even touched the Axe when things started to go wrong so ????). Then I had no sound !! Even though the IA button attched to the vol outs was set to 111/127 min/max values - for some reason the "off" ws sending 000. After Re-assigning this in the MFC I "appear" to be working OK.

3 hours of head scratching last night - and another 3 this morning, some out of the box thinking but it works - now I have to get back in the wifes good books !!

Back
Top Bottom