I have a Tube Preamp, where should I put it?

jcfiallos

Inspired
Hi friends, I have a EFb04 tube preamp made by Doug Roccaforte, Its a great tube preamp, If I decide to use it together with my Axe fx II, should I put it before the axe or after?

a) GuItar ------>tube preamp ------->Axe fx II ----------> jbl 712 FRFR speaker
b) Guitar ---------> Axe fx II----------> tube preamp -------> JBL 712 FRFR speaker

which would make sense?

Theres no way to turn the axe's preamp section off and only use the PA, so you'd have to run it through something like the tube pre model where the preamp is flat but idk how desirable that would be

I have a telefunken preamp its only 1 tube the EF804 with one transformer with very efficient performance, it basically improves the sound of any amp, its a class A preamp. I use it normally in front of any amplifier and it improves the sound, I am curious on how would this work, for a mire tubish sound on cleans

I have a telefunken preamp its only 1 tube the EF804 with one transformer with very efficient performance, it basically improves the sound of any amp, its a class A preamp. I use it normally in front of any amplifier and it improves the sound, I am curious on how would this work, for a mire tubish sound on cleans
A.

I'd start with placing it before the AFX and run it into a back panel/line input and go from there.

You might find the AFX Tube Preamp (in the Drive block) with an EF86 tube gives you the same effect without the use of a separate preamp.

(c) in the effects loop of the Axe-Fx so you can A/B it with the tube driver models in the drive block or the preamp in the cabinet block and convince yourself in as scientific a manner as possible that it's not worth hanging on to any more.

I'd start with placing it before the AFX and run it into a back panel/line input and go from there.

You might find the AFX Tube Preamp (in the Drive block) with an EF86 tube gives you the same effect without the use of a separate preamp.
thanks a lot Stratoblaster, Ill give it a try!, thanks to all!

Hi Stratoblaster, thanks" could you elaborate more pls?, you mean in the drive block putting a tube pre?, or you mean in amp 1 looking for tube preamp and the puttin a EF86 in there?. I normally use T808 OD at zero in the drive block

Hi Stratoblaster, thanks" could you elaborate more pls?, you mean in the drive block putting a tube pre?, or you mean in amp 1 looking for tube preamp and the puttin a EF86 in there?. I normally use T808 OD at zero in the drive block
There's no specific "tube preamp" in the Drive block. There are two models of Tube Driver pedals though:

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 7.30.44 PM.png

There IS a preamp section in the Cab block though and it offers a selection of preamp types including a "tube" type:

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 7.31.54 PM.png

I tried it infront of the Axe, it sounded pretty cool, I am also trying to find ways to make the Axe sound even more tubish, I guess the direction its taking is in that same path

there's really no use for it. you may like whatever it's doing to your tone but the Axe doesn't need anything to make it more tube like, and a tube preamp isn't doing that. but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I tried it infront of the Axe, it sounded pretty cool, I am also trying to find ways to make the Axe sound even more tubish, I guess the direction its taking is in that same path

So the new improvements in tube modeling Cliffs has given us with Q6 are not "tubish" enough?o_O:confused:

Back
Top Bottom