I have a bizarre urge...

I find it super refreshing to jam and not have to think melodically at all . just rythmically .
That's an interesting perspective, which I hadn't thought about. Cool!

...and as a guitarist I think its good to learn as much about all the other instruments as you can
Absolutely agree. Although I didn't really enjoy being "forced" to learn piano as a kid, I have been eternally grateful for that ever since I started to take guitar and music seriously in my twenties.

..so you can tell everyone else what to play . joking...kinda
Yes! :lol

I was waiting for that. :lol
The biggest irony when working with drummers is:
As a guitarist, all your teachers will constantly tell you to "practice to a god damn metronome!".
I've yet to meet a drummer who even knows how to use one...

Update:

I'm now a proud owner of a Roland V-Drum kit! Took a couple of hours to set it all up, not because it's particularly difficult but, not being a drummer, I didn't really know the optimum positioning for the pads, bass drum and hi-hat. I also didn't know anything about setting the bass drum pedal tension, or adjusting the hi-hat, but with experimentation I'm getting there. One thing I like about this kit is that it uses a real hi-hat stand (although extra expense, of course, as it's not included in the kit), which makes it feel more like a "proper" kit.

So far, I'm loving it. As someone posted previously, there is something refreshing about concentrating on rhythm and not having to give any thought to melody, harmony, etc. Very liberating - and fun, fun, fun. However, it's trickier than I thought to get one's arms and legs to work independently of each other - drumming isn't quite as easy as it looks. However, thanks to Youtube (how the hell did we manage without it in the "old" days"???) I soon got up and running with a couple of basic rock beats. One thing that did surprise me is how poor my timing is, lol. As a guitarist who has been playing for many years, I've always prided myself on my strong internal metronome - on the drums, though, I'm like a real newbie - all over the place. To be fair though, it's more to do with getting my limbs to respond correctly, rather than my sense of timing being off. But it is getting better and, after only a few hours playing, it's starting to come together.

If anyone else out there has a similar urge - do it! You won't be disappointed.

Much to the dislike of teachers and everybody else, I used to practise imaginary double bass drumming while in boring school classes. :)

Back
Top Bottom