I have 90 tabs open in chrome on my phone

54 here

On a side note.....on my chromebook some years ago I reached max number of tabs that could be open.....at that time I knew I had a problem 🤣

In all seriousness though, tabbed browsing is one of the coolest things.....

I think I have like 3 Firefox windows open on my desktop, 1 has 400 tabs open, the other 233 and the final one 512. I just find it so much easier to leave the ones I regularly use or plan to still visit open then it it is to re-open them using a bookmark.

54 here

On a side note.....on my chromebook some years ago I reached max number of tabs that could be open.....at that time I knew I had a problem 🤣

In all seriousness though, tabbed browsing is one of the coolest things.....
I remember the times you actually had to open a link in the same browser window, or open a new window. And then came tabs and it was like scenes for the Axe-FX, an effin' game changer.

Usually when I have about 20+ tabs open that means I'm working on some kind of project or went down some rabbit hole. I like to use the Toby plugin for Chrome (free). I create collections of bookmarks that are displayed when I open a new tab. And it syncs across all my devices and computers. So if I go down a rabbit hole of say reading about pickups, I might save one or two of the most interesting tabs and close the rest. Also really helpful when I need to present at work and I don't want to show off the 40 tabs of guitar stuff...

On “desktop” browsers I use Tab Wrangler to close unused tabs. iPhone is clever - it unloads all but the few recently used tabs from memory, but takes their screenshots, so when you scroll try them that’s what you see. So those tabs aren’t really “open” per se.

That blows my mind. Never knew that many people out there do this.
I can't manage that much info. I never leave tabs open when I shutdown. Just a housekeeping thing.

My 10 year-old has recently become a PC-addict, uses Firefox on dual screens and has an absurd amount of tabs open on each. Too many to count.
I'm always busting his chops about it, but apparently he's not alone.

And God forbid you close a tab, he loses his mind.

I can't manage that much info. I never leave tabs open when I shutdown. Just a housekeeping thing.

My 10 year-old has recently become a PC-addict, uses Firefox on dual screens and has an absurd amount of tabs open on each. Too many to count.

Haha that was me before too! I manage them much better now, and I too try to have them all close when I shutdown, and the ones I need, I add them to reopen upon startup

I have to ask: how you people find stuff with 2 or 3 digits of tabs open? Do you just type something in the address bar and then switch to the correct tab? Do you click (!!!) on the tabs?

The first one does not add anything to the experience and the second one sounds awful.

Genuinely curious here.

Sometimes if I'm researching stuff I might come across multiple pages with information, and having all of them up at once is very helpful

Sometimes a website is so confusing and/or deep I can get lost in there.....so if I find a page I need I can stay there and dive down the rabbit hole with other tabs

Sometimes you might want more than one real time source of information up, eg multiple weather channels or trackers or stocks etc

If I'm troubleshooting or studying diagrams, trying to figure something out I'll have multiple of these open

Oftentimes these things may be happening simultaneously

However, it's closing or finishing a project that makes me leaves multiple tabs open. For eg, if I'm fixing or troubleshooting an amp or electronics or appliance it helps that I can quickly reference stuff, as it may continue over the course of a couple days.

At any given point in time, I have about 20 -30 pages I visit frequently, so I have those in the regular set now. I manage them better now because I might have had 100 open before, and not using them all. Now, I only have open ones that I am using and I try to close whichever I'm not

I'm worse about this on my phone. I see a link to an interview I'd like to read, video of someone's new patch, but I don't have time to actually read or listen to it now. Or I'm in bed next to my sleeping wife and a cat, no good headphones, so I leave the tab open.

I could bookmark it, but bookmarks kind of suck on Android. Long term stuff I'll add to my home screen, or save in Keep, but tabs are more transient stuff, once read I'm done with them. The new flattened and grouped Open Tabs UI in Android Chrome is a big improvement over the 90s "cool" diagonally offset stack, where you can only see the title bar, or part of it.

Thing is, I'm often not trying to go back to tab #42 per se, I'm catching up on stuff I put aside for later, in whatever order it comes to hand. Weekend mornings, maybe, I'll work through and read, watch or close a hunk of them. Hopefully more get closed than accumulated during the week. But maybe not, and eventually I'll do a big purge for the sake of mental space, f it for the ones I didn't get to.

It's just nice that Chrome on Android tolerates this sort of abuse well.

Reactions: jon
:tearsofjoy:
you guys crack me up... If nothing else I feel better about how many, or in this case the lack of number of tabs I have open on my phone or pc.
:tearsofjoy:

Actually, once I have a Firefox crash of sorts where I lose my entire previous sessions I kinda feel free. Saved me the work of culling tabs that could have been closed. Which is usually the biggest reason I still have so many tab windows open. If there was a way to see a listing of all my tabs and check or uncheck the ones I want to close I'd have a lot less of them.
I have to ask: how you people find stuff with 2 or 3 digits of tabs open? Do you just type something in the address bar and then switch to the correct tab? Do you click (!!!) on the tabs?
In Firefox I use the show all tabs title button mostly, as I generally know where most pages are. And in a perverse kind of way I think its good memory training. It's rare that I have to use the search tabs function.

The first one does not add anything to the experience and the second one sounds awful.

Genuinely curious here.
Different workflows for different people.

There's one advantage I've found though. Especially with youtube. Sometimes a live stream that I was listening though gets deleted or unlisted, but because I still have it opened in the tab window, as long as I don't refresh I can still listen to deleted streams for a while and the unlisted streams will always be there until I close the tab.

Back
Top Bottom