I have $1600 to spend on an acoustic

Just wondering... what didn't you like about your 314? I just picked up a used 414ce for $1140 used and love it.

It just sounded steril and flat to me when I used it live. There was no sustain or body to it. At least not compared to my friends Martin hd28. I thought mine sounded great until I played his Martin. Night and day difference. But I never heard his live.
I haven't heard the 414. That one is made of a different wood so maybe that's a big difference.

I haven't played mine live yet, just jamming w/ some friends... although it certainly sounded better when I was playing alone thru the Axe ;-) Yours was sapele which is supposed to be like mahogany, which would be a bit more midrange focused. The 400 series is ovangkol, more of a rosewood sound. IIRC the HD28 is also rosewood, so that could be part of the difference you heard w/ your friend's guitar.

It's funny, for years I'd always said I'd get a Martin when I could finally afford it... and when the time came and I started demoing I realized I liked the feel and sound of Taylors better. Then I walked into GC one day, intending to buy an inexpensive bass, and there was this 414 that just sang to me. (I bought the bass too... expensive day!)

Regardless, go with what sounds right to you!! There are some great suggestions in this thread and in your price range I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

First time this word was used on this forum? LOL--used to play it...

I have some great friends who are the real deal. And I went to college in Kentucky and was around Sam Bush, Bela Fleck and bunch of other crazy good players.

But I've always just faked it. Played it and sang it a bunch but can't say I'm the real deal.

Maton EM325C is pretty nice. In person it sounds beautiful - not boomy or bright. The pickup is great. It has a bass and treble slider and adjustable mid knobs. Mine is a model from year 2000.

it smells nice too

I haven't played mine live yet, just jamming w/ some friends... although it certainly sounded better when I was playing alone thru the Axe ;-) Yours was sapele which is supposed to be like mahogany, which would be a bit more midrange focused. The 400 series is ovangkol, more of a rosewood sound. IIRC the HD28 is also rosewood, so that could be part of the difference you heard w/ your friend's guitar.

It's funny, for years I'd always said I'd get a Martin when I could finally afford it... and when the time came and I started demoing I realized I liked the feel and sound of Taylors better. Then I walked into GC one day, intending to buy an inexpensive bass, and there was this 414 that just sang to me. (I bought the bass too... expensive day!)

Regardless, go with what sounds right to you!! There are some great suggestions in this thread and in your price range I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

I went and played a 414ce yesterday. Big difference from the 314.
I'm liking it

An older, used Tacoma might be a consideration. I love my old Jumbo and the build, etc is unbelievable for the amount I paid in the "pre-owned" market. I've had Martin, Ovation, etc and this is by far the best sounding, most "playable" acoustic I've ever owned.
$0.02

I found a 1998 Taylor 414ce for $975

Does that sound like a pretty good deal for this guitar? I'm not too sure about the year. I know some changes were made with Taylor in the past.

Does anyone have any good info on these guitars?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom