I hate iLOK

I'm really surprised their "fingerprint" algo is so weak.

I wrote one for the company I work for. It is complete rookie mistake to rely on often replaced components to uniquely id the computer, e.g. hard drive or any "card" based component.

My algo has stood 6 yrs without a hitch and functions in the cloud or on premise virtual machines too.

Great now I'm having trouble with iLok! I updated to the newest version and it keeps telling me that a software component is missing. I've completely removed all things associated with iLok on my computer and did a clean reinstall. It keeps giving me the same message. I've tried everything I've found online in relation to this issue with no luck. Thanks for not being able to use CabLab3 when I really needed it this weekend! #@%$ iLok

Hey ChrisMetal86,

I had the same problem. Be sure that the Pace License Services is running (under services.msc) and that the iLok is run under an administrator account. For odd reasons, the service often fails to start (esp after software updates).

That's been the fix for me..

Hey ChrisMetal86,

I had the same problem. Be sure that the Pace License Services is running (under services.msc) and that the iLok is run under an administrator account. For odd reasons, the service often fails to start (esp after software updates).

That's been the fix for me..
That was one of the things I have tried. It worked until I rebooted, then it stopped and restarting services did nothing until I wiped and reinstalled. I finally did a system restore to a date from 2 weeks ago. Then reinstalled and restarted service. Everything seems to be okay now. I had some Windows 10 updates installed yesterday during all of this, so I'm wondering if something just glitched during the processes of Windows and iLok updates? Either way, it seems to be fixed for now. Thanks for the reply by the way DrB.

So all you had to do was a system restore? That's it??? ;) Try your Windows updates again, and pray.

I don't dare activate my new code until my new hard drives, USB PCIe expansion card and audio interface are installed. I'm afraid even adding a USB printer will f it up again.

Fractal apparently thinks that their customers are sufficiently criminal to warrant DRM, and they are absolutely responsible for what you are going through. And.. you give them a pass, and blame the DRM company, PACE? I view this as strange, but each to his own. :)

I'm not really following PACE, but I note that they are possibly in the news...

https://torrentfreak.com/ilok2-drm-system-appears-to-have-been-cracked-151224/

I don't believe FAS thinks their customers are sufficiently criminal. This makes no sense at all to be honest. The concern is those trying to obtain the products illegally without paying for them. Unless of course you consider those losers "customers" which of course they are not. They are thieves.

I don't believe FAS thinks their customers are sufficiently criminal. This makes no sense at all to be honest. The concern is those trying to obtain the products illegally without paying for them. Unless of course you consider those losers "customers" which of course they are not. They are thieves.
Somebody has to copy the software for it to be cracked. Some are bought specifically to crack. In those cases there is a customer that couldn't be trusted.
It's quite possible some untrustworthy individuals roam between us. Seeing the general populus and the number of people here, it would be out of bounds to have none. Possible, but unlikely.

Such is the world and Fractal would be stupid to not do anything against it.

All it takes is one person. And like Dutch said, some programs are purchased specifically to be cracked. As I said before, I'm not faulting Fractal for protecting their software. All I'm saying is that iLOK absolutely sucks sweaty balls.

Microsoft just pushed out a recent major update to Win 10. I don't have cablab, but similarly, my Addictive Drums 2 license manager freaked out. This also occurred with the last major Win 10 update last year.

I guess MS is regenerating the system IDs at update time, and iLok / XLN Audio / etc. are referencing that ID. Like, barhrecords said, they probably need to work on the fingerprinting scheme.

Is this software, Cab-Lab 3 ($49), only useful (in practice) for the AxeFX owners, or would lots of people not owning AxeFX devices want it?
Actually that's a good point, that the use of cab-lab is limited when you don't have any Fractal stuff. To have full advantage of the software one would have to have an expensive Fractal unit which aren't very easy to come by illegally. So one would have to be a FAS customer and reasonably well off to get one.

I think the stand alone version and the plug-in for DAWS could be useful if one doesn't have a Fractal unit, but that use use of cab-lab can pretty easily be obtained with other software, even free. FAS Reverb is a different thing altogether. That should really be protected.

I gladly pay for stuff I use and always donate to free software providers that I appreciate. Most stuff I want to do I can easily do with the stuff included with reaper and the numerous freebie plugins that are available. If I need more professional stuff I'd need to make money off of it and would be able to pay for it. Currently I'm not using any illegal software for anything. Although I do miss some stuff from Photoshop and Illustrator. If the software would pay for itself I'd buy it, i.e. if I would be earning income using it.
But there are many for whom the choice for 49.- over free is very hard. Even if they are reasonably well off.

Last edited:
Reactions: kgk
I've been through all of these problems and it sucked hard! I had to find the Pace folder hidden in some folder on my hard drive to finally Wipe it all off and start over. Nitemare to say the least.

I AGREE 100%..... I just don't buy any more IR's for Fractal use... ILOK is a hassle every time.... like now I'd like to pick up some OH Ir's... but Ilok will not let into my program that I PAID FOR.....eerrrrrr

I've got cab lab and iLok up and running on Windows 10 with latest updates. It was a pain to get setup but it's been fine ever since. Having to create a log in account just to activate a program is ridiculous!

Back
Top Bottom