I had enough!!!!!!!

Woland

Inspired
Sorry, but again is impossible to update the firmware.
How can it be so difficult?
Everytime I have to do something different, like install again the motu drivers, use another sysex program, switch from pc to mac...
This time nothing works.
I have a motu traveler.

I'm currently running 9.0. It's a fantastic machine, but in those cases I'm almost on the point to sell it just because of the nervous energy that this unit make me spend...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance...

I have to admit that if I were unable to update the firmware on my Ultra, I would be desperate. The few times when SendSX failed on me, I was frantic. I was lucky because those times, MidiOx always saved the day. But what if, one day, it didn't?

Here is one suggestion: on my older PC, I was using one of those cheap cables that transforms your joystick port into a midi in&out: http://www.pccables.com/05010.htm

Mine wasn't exactly that same part, but rather the cable supplied in a cheap kit I bought long ago, called Voyetra Computer Music Starter Kit (I bought it just for that cable, it was dirt cheap). I found a link at Amazon, but it's flagged as not available (http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-7318 ... B000021YTQ). That old computer, equipped with that cheap joystick-to-midi adaptor, let me upgrade the firmware on my Ultra at least 20 to 30 times, reliably. Never even bothered to install a driver. It just worked. It's cheap enough, much cheaper than buying another midi interface, and it just might do it for you.

My Motu Ultralite has NEVER worked for updates. Gave up on that long ago. I got a EMU 1x1 cable and have not had a single problem since and I am running Vista 64. Updates my Ultra, LFP, and LF Jr without a hitch. If all you have is the Traveler, I say you need a new interface/cable.

posted this in another thread:

I had the similar problem

tried 2 different midi devices and still couldn't get it to work.
what did work was uninstalling axeedit 9xx and reinstalling axeedit 8_296 and using a usb midi device not firewire (i used an old midiman i have) and it worked first go.

Ive also been trying to load up some redwirez IR's and have found that this set up is the only one that works for that process as well.

once i have the updates completed i just uninstall the old axeedit and reinstall the new one

bit of a pain but less trauma because it works

might be a solution for you
cheers

My Motu 828 mk2 has never reliably updated firmware, in fact it once borked a GT6!

I have used my Edirol UM1x for such tasks for a few years now and it has always been rock solid.

I have been using a cheap MIDISport 1x1 to update my Standard and then Ultra for years. Never a glitch on XP, Vista and now Windows 7 64-bit.

Almost any MIDI interface can send a few simple program changes and play MIDI songs. Where the one's with bad drivers fail is when having to send bulk SYSEX transfers and doing things like MIDI updates. Sounds like MOTU has a few issues with this.

Maybe you should go complain on the MOTU forum. Or get a different MIDI interface.

I was not able to do any successful firmware update (Checksum failed), until I noticed that my wireless connection was causing the issue. It seems that the wireless adapter or driver in Windows XP has a higher priority than other IO tasks. Therefore some data was not sent via midi which caused the checksum to fail.

Most likely I would have screwed up my Ultra multiple times, if the checksum check would not exist.

So my tip (if you are using a wireless network with your system with Windows OS) is to disable the wireless adapter and try to update the firmware while it is disabled.

I was having problems with my Midisport UNO and my Mac - tried a couple of times and got the 'bad checksum' error. I read that using a slower transmit speed sometimes sorts the problem out - tried half the speed I'd been using. Worked like a charm :)

The only problem I had was due to a bad cable. It kind of surprises me that an old standard like MIDI requires good cables, but well... Problem was a cheap thomann cable, I then bought a Planet Waves cable, problem gone.

I use MIDIOX (with reduced speed) with E-MU 1820. It even worked when chaining through the FCB1010 (I forgot to take it out of the loop once), though I don't recommend this.

I had a Midisport Uno, which worked fine in Vista 32-bit, but not in Win7 64-bit. Upgraded to an Emu 1x1, which works in Win7 64-bit, but sometimes requires a reduced buffer size to work right. Try a different interface.

i have a Motu fastlane,and with the standard midi buffer in the axefx editor it didnt work,so i put it on 250ms
and now it updates without errors,the progress bar should be running with equal speed on the Editor and on the Axe fx,then im shure it will
work,good luck :)

I never had a problem with my MBOX, but when I upgraded to a focusrite liquid mix I couldn't get a Fw upgrade to work.

But I realised I had a Midi Keyboard with Midi in out and through , that connects to my MAC with USB. So I started using that and it's perfect - works every time.

If It hadn't I would have bought one of those cheap USB midi interfaces and used that.

I think my problem was probably some sort of interference - where my Focusrite is installed in my studio rack there's a lot of other mains stuff, transformers etc, so it could be corrupting the signal on my midi cables which are not screened.

Have you tried moving your interface and re-routing the cables a bit? how long are the cables, are they really long and all the excess looped up next to a power strip? those are things I would look for?

Of course I could be way off the mark but worth a try .

Good Luck.

Can't really blame the Axe-fx or Fractal (for now, until Axe-edit is out of beta ;))... that's kind of like blaming Ford for an aftermarket cd player in your car not working properly... they can't take into account every single OS and midi variety.

I can only say this because I've never had an issue with my Midisport 2x2 (original puke green) on either XP Pro SP2/SP3 or Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit... both with Albert's Old Java Editor... I'm sure Axe-edit is great and all, but I still don't have the confidence that it won't crap out on me the way it did when the beta was first released... sorry to say that it left an ugly taste in my mouth that will not go away until it's out of beta... hopefully.

I'll say this again, many thanks to Albert's efforts on his editor... and many thanks to moregear and Raca... (you Raca my world!!!)

mortega76 said:
I can only say this because I've never had an issue with my Midisport 2x2 (original puke green) on either XP Pro SP2/SP3 or Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit... both with Albert's Old Java Editor... I'm sure Axe-edit is great and all, but I still don't have the confidence that it won't crap out on me the way it did when the beta was first released... sorry to say that it left an ugly taste in my mouth that will not go away until it's out of beta... hopefully.

I'll say this again, many thanks to Albert's efforts on his editor... and many thanks to moregear and Raca... (you Raca my world!!!)

My Dear, you surely mean Lars´editor, don´t cha? ;)

Doc said:
mortega76 said:

My Dear, you surely mean Lars´editor, don´t cha? ;)
Damn!!!! I always forget and get them two confused!!! Thanks for correcting me!!!

Lar's buddy come back!!!! Many Thanks to Lar's!!!!!

Dear All,
Thank you very much or your replies & support.
I managed to solve the problem today, by updating the firmware with a Motu MKIII hybrid.
So we can say that the Motu Traveler doesn't work for some reason with the Axe Fx.
Thanks again!

I had issues ----- could not update with a midisport.

I had the Midisport connected to a USB hub --- (Mac dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 running 10.5.8)

As a last resort, I disconnected the Midisport from the hub and connected it directly to the computer -- presto -- update installed!

Back
Top Bottom