I had an itch this week

I'm with you - Just reinforces how good we have it with the Axe FX 3... You get al that for less than half price (Except the cab and Power amp).
It's like you've triggered a hidden memory of all that gear we used to have to lug around... Used to need a truck!

Don't do it!

Thanks
Pauly

Something to be said for the visceral thrill of walking into a room stacked floor to ceiling with amp heads, shelf after shelf of effects etc though….

It’s like sure, the FAS units have a few hundred amps, every effect you could think of and more, but it’s just a box sitting there

Same thing happened with synths and VST instruments. You could have hundreds of great sounding emulations all on your laptop, but it’s just that, they were all just code on a laptop, instead of physical synths you could put your hands on, every brand not only had a different sound, but different layouts, knobs felt different, keys felt different etc.

Don’t get me wrong, from a practical standpoint is awesome what we can do on laptops, phones, and dedicated modelers. Amazing bang for the buck and the tone is every bit as good (imo).

Still though, when your holding a pedal in your hand, it’s got a story, when you got it, who used to own it, who built it, what NOS parts etc. maybe you built it yourself even…..

With an effect block though, what sorry does it have? “ Ahh, March 2020, FW18.xx just dropped and …..” just not the same connection to lines of code as a hardware pedal.

Which is a big part of why so many people still enjoy pedals, collecting them, playing them, building them etc

Basically my 401k has lost all its gained value over the past few years, but I’d be looking at like a 400% return on gear I bought in my younger days if I didn’t foolishly sell it lol

I'd be interested to adjust those for inflation and see how it actually went.

That being said....I really wish I'd thrown all of whatever money I had in middle and high school into out-of-print Magic: The Gathering cards. I think at one point, I had around 30 "Dual Lands" that were $12-15 at the time. And that wasn't from specifically trying to collect them, I just wound up with them. Now, the cheapest one is worth like $600 and the most expensive is over a grand. There are other cards I had access to that went from $100-ish to several grand.

Instead, I sold them for a small profit in high school and then basically quit playing....because the format I would want to play is prohibitively expensive (competitive decks easily cost as much as a luxury car).

Something to be said for the visceral thrill of walking into a room stacked floor to ceiling with amp heads, shelf after shelf of effects etc though….

It’s like sure, the FAS units have a few hundred amps, every effect you could think of and more, but it’s just a box sitting there

Same thing happened with synths and VST instruments. You could have hundreds of great sounding emulations all on your laptop, but it’s just that, they were all just code on a laptop, instead of physical synths you could put your hands on, every brand not only had a different sound, but different layouts, knobs felt different, keys felt different etc.

Don’t get me wrong, from a practical standpoint is awesome what we can do on laptops, phones, and dedicated modelers. Amazing bang for the buck and the tone is every bit as good (imo).

Still though, when your holding a pedal in your hand, it’s got a story, when you got it, who used to own it, who built it, what NOS parts etc. maybe you built it yourself even…..

With an effect block though, what sorry does it have? “ Ahh, March 2020, FW18.xx just dropped and …..” just not the same connection to lines of code as a hardware pedal.

Which is a big part of why so many people still enjoy pedals, collecting them, playing them, building them etc
I agree with you to some degree, but....I just don't get the same feeling from pedals. IDK...maybe I would get them from amps. I've played some very nice amps and a few vintage ones but nothing truly special.

I do get it form guitars. So, yay. Fewer things to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom