I had a Sobering Experience Last Night

Thanks Chris. Interesting. So it is a choice then not a practical limitation. Run the Axe through a beefy power amp flat out into a 4x12 and should be the same?

Yes. I still have real amps for several of those that I use in the Axe. When doing comparisons, I use a dB meter to set equivalent volume.

I'm not some kinda super guitar/amp genius, but like I said in an earlier post, I've had no problems with monitors, and certainly not my Mission Gemini 2 2x12 FRFR competing or fitting in the mix with a second guitarist using a loud tube amp. Even so, I'd they tried to drown everyone out with their stage volume, they wouldn't last terribly long in the band anyway.

I also have a good feel of how to set eq, . Particularly mids and low mids to get the ballsy tone to not get lost in the mix and sound more like my amp/cab stage tones.

Maybe I'm just lucky. LoL!
+1 on this. The Mission Gemini works very well to get real amp feel. It comes with a knob where you adjust to go from full FRFR to a more real can feel. I can usually dial that in for any room. We have another guitar player with a very loud real Twin Reverb and keyboard player with 2 JBL’s behind him and I never have a probleM being heard on stage or through the overall mix. Mission is not the only solution but I can confirm it works very well for live use. My only issue is that it is very heavy.

I have a show in a small space tomorrow night and only our vocals and keys will be mic’d. The guitar sounds will all come from our backline. I use a CLR and our other guitarist uses a traditional amp. I’m happy with my tones using FRFR in rehearsals, but do agree they don’t cut through as well (to my ears) versus the traditional guitar amp (even though my sound is probably “better”). Could certainly just be volume as Chris mentions.

Anyway, all these discussions now have me considering trying the AX8 through the effects loop of a combo amp for the show. Maybe a recipe for disaster given the show is tomorrow? Maybe I could use both, with one as a side wash?

I have a show in a small space tomorrow night and only our vocals and keys will be mic’d. The guitar sounds will all come from our backline. I use a CLR and our other guitarist uses a traditional amp. I’m happy with my tones using FRFR in rehearsals, but do agree they don’t cut through as well (to my ears) versus the traditional guitar amp (even though my sound is probably “better”). Could certainly just be volume as Chris mentions.

Anyway, all these discussions now have me considering trying the AX8 through the effects loop of a combo amp for the show. Maybe a recipe for disaster given the show is tomorrow? Maybe I could use both, with one as a side wash?
Don’t be afraid to boost the mids on the global EQ. Great for tweaking for a particular room.

This has happened to me. I think it is dependent on the PA or venue and may not have time to fiddle with it. The usual fix has been loading up more of a plain amp sound and using volume to get the punch back. Next time this happens, try initializing the amp block, or load up a preset with default amp settings where everything is set to 5. Start out with all FX off.
May want to have some of your presets geared up this way to start, dialed for less gain than you would think.

this would have happened with a real JP2 amp as well.

Yep I have read many accounts a boogie just wont fare well against a raging EL34 Marshall based circuit
Those amps have kerrrang in the upper mids Boogies are dark low mid

Another casualty of that is the DZL
Herbert i have seen a lot of people
Sell them because they got
Demolished live by a Marshall 800

Yes instead of grabbing the volume knob, go 4 an eq, lessen fx's.
im 6’4” and using my EV monitor on a stand by my ear has solved all my volume n clarity issues.

I went to the Experience Hendrix concert this summer. The one guy with and Axe Fx II sounded unbelievably better than all the guys with high end tube amps and pedal boards.
Also, his clean and distorted sounds were nicely balanced while the guys with pedal boards had either a nice dist sound or a nice clean but not nice on both.

What I overwhelmingly see is guitarists in the pro space who dial in the modeler, crank the amp, and compare side-by-side. Then they put the amp back in its road case and hit the stage with their modeler.
This! We played with an STP tribute a few months ago and the guitar player sounded incredible with his Helix. He used to have a real Friedman and Vox parallel setup before, and he dialed in those two amps in the modeler exactly the same way, and ran it in stereo with two QSC12 cabs. Can't argue with success!

Yep I have read many accounts a boogie just wont fare well against a raging EL34 Marshall based circuit
Those amps have kerrrang in the upper mids Boogies are dark low mid

Another casualty of that is the DZL
Herbert i have seen a lot of people
Sell them because they got
Demolished live by a Marshall 800
Has anyone else had this experience? Hearing live bands using mark series amps (crushing loud tones) it is difficult to believe this is true - but it totally could be for all I know, it just seems counterintuitive.

Has anyone else had this experience? Hearing live bands using mark series amps (crushing loud tones) it is difficult to believe this is true - but it totally could be for all I know, it just seems counterintuitive.

I should have probably clarified more the recto than the Marks

Volume isn’t everything.
Oh for sure, relative eq is critical. I meant more they had massive and full sounding tones not just volume.

Was just trying to get a fact check on if EL34 Marshall tones were objectively louder and more cutting than Mesa or Diezel amps.

Last edited:
Was just trying to get a fact check on if EL34 Marshall tones were objectively louder and more cutting than Mesa or Diesel amps.
Your typical EL34 user is going for classic, mid-heavy tones. Your typical Mesa/Diezel user is going for more modern, mid-scooped tones. And mid-heavy tones have a strong advantage when it comes to cutting through the mix.

As mentioned, JP isn’t going up against a Marshall when he’s playing his sig.
One thing you could try is adding an EL34 amp to your patch for the best of both worlds in stereo....my go to patch runs a IIC++ in stereo with an Atomica High.......glorious!
And yeah, it might be a good idea to have a power amp and 4x12 to take on these occasions.

Your typical EL34 user is going for classic, mid-heavy tones. Your typical Mesa/Diezel user is going for more modern, mid-scooped tones. And mid-heavy tones have a strong advantage when it comes to cutting through the mix.
Great explanation. Sounds logical. Thank you

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom