I got a Bargin !!!

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
AS some will now Ive used my Art SLA-1 Bridged for 14 months and been happy. Until that is I tried a Vale Amps loop.

While not a million miles away in tone, the feel and depth were deffinately better through the amp.

Nect I tried a Marshll 9100 (used) and the same was evident. So I started looking for used Valve Power amps on teh cheap. Why the cheap? because I wanted a VHT 2:50:2 eventually so the used amp would be a strop gap. The 2:50:2 in teh UK WHEN available are £1250 - so around $2000

I had some offers. Peavey Classic 60/60 for £175 delivered. A Marshall 9200 for £575 delivered, 9100 for £380 pickup.

Well I was settling on either the 9100 or 9200 when I got an EMail from a guitarist forum member. He gave a link for a Belgium site. Not only do they do 2:50:2s for 900 Euro shipped with in the EU - which is around £800, they had 3 Ex Demo stock going for 750 Euro - thats £650 delivered.

After a phone call, I have secured myself sone. 250 Euros deposit with remaining paid 1 March. I can do this just from wages but have some stuff I can sell.

I have already sold my Stroborack - so will be using the Axes tuner from now, and hope to shift some mics (Beta 58, e845s).

Overall I think I got a bargin !! and cant wait for the new amp !!!!

Oh - as a bonus I dont need to sell the Art, so I will keep that as a backup in case valves let me down.

Maybe the sla1 was not powerful enough and didn't have enough headroom, was compressing the signal, taking away the dynamics, failing to deliver the low end, etc. Have you tried a higher powered SS amp?

Its not headroom. I had plenty. it was louder than a 50W valve head, and nowhere near clipping.

I tried some good SS amps too, a Lab Gruppen and a Powersoft. They were better (same power though) so some of it is to be with the relative cheapness of the Art - but still the valve power amp had something extra. a zip in the top, a transparency in the mids and lows that the SS amps didnt have.

I would have gone for a Lab at £800 - it was enough of an improvment over the art to go that way, OR the Marshall 9200 which while not quite up to the build of Labs or VHTs had all the tone/feel.

That was until I found a new VHT 2:50:2 for £650. Thats a damn good price.

paulmapp8306 said:
Its not headroom. I had plenty. it was louder than a 50W valve head, and nowhere near clipping.

I tried some good SS amps too, a Lab Gruppen and a Powersoft. They were better (same power though) so some of it is to be with the relative cheapness of the Art - but still the valve power amp had something extra. a zip in the top, a transparency in the mids and lows that the SS amps didnt have.

I would have gone for a Lab at £800 - it was enough of an improvment over the art to go that way, OR the Marshall 9200 which while not quite up to the build of Labs or VHTs had all the tone/feel.

That was until I found a new VHT 2:50:2 for £650. Thats a damn good price.

Actually headroom can mean other things apart from safe from clipping. Some SS amps at high volumes are not clipping but already sound like crap.

Yeh - and it may be part of it. i ws bridging the SLA, so 260W into 8 Ohms - should have been fine. I didnt push it past 1/2 way either so should have had plently of headroom.

The Lab Gruppen was 200W per side, and that was bridged when I tested it. the Power soft was nearly 800 I believe - didnt bridge that :lol:

Both the Lab and teh Powersoft sounded better than the Art - so maybe headroom has something to do with it - However, the Marshall 9100 at 50 a side sounded better still. As it is, I got the VHT 2:50:2 for a steal and get to keep the Art as a backup. IF I decide that valves arnt working for me I could sell the VHT for a priffit and still get the Lab or PS later.

Back
Top Bottom