I get "muddy"tones, please check my test sample

Hi All, I dont use the AXE II very often as I am not a guitarist, but yesterday I had a client who went through the presets and he hardly liked any of the distorted ones, he said they all sound "muddy, muffled". On a close listen, I agree there must be something wrong.

Pretty much all the distorted presets seem to be sharing a similar problem, what am I doing wrong?
I record as Left channel only onto a mono track in cubase. The presets change in sound and settings, but all distorted tones seem like they need some work.

Thanks a lot for any help you may share!

Up loading a patch (or patches) can be very helpful too because folks can look at various parameters to see how things are set up.

guys - he's referring to the presets, so talking about IR's or uploading patches is not relevant here

i just went through a bunch of presets in bank A. some of them are a little bassy, i agree, but none of the distorted ones are muddy by any stretch of the imagination. i'm using Q3.02 and the latest version of the presets...are you?

was the guitarist who was your client experienced? did he happen to have the tone control rolled off on his guitar? (you'll never know, i guess and yes...this has actually happened).

I've found (and guitarists in both of my bands have agreed) that the factory presets have far too much low content in them, especially in a band setting. Sure, they sound good in your bedroom all alone. I don't have my guitar or any of my FAS gear near me right now so I can't be a ton of help. I'd probably start by looking at doing a Hi Pass filter type setup, and start at 150 Hz.

I haven't used factory presets for a long time. But in virtually every preset I make, I have to lower the bass knob a good deal from 5.00, or use the "cut" feature under the bass knob, or change the power amp low cut frequency up (often to 140Hz or thereabouts for mild gain, and much higher for higher gain), etc. to get things to sit in the mix. So if I were you I wouldn't be surprised if there is an issue with too much low end.

OTOH, I have no idea what this guy is listening through or what he has in mind for a good tone. With this unit, I'd be really surprised if he couldn't find his tone in there...but it might take some poking to get there. Look at it this way: he wouldn't expect to go into the studio with a room full of amps, plug into one and say "not it", moving on to the next amp without twisting some knobs. Same thing with the presets- they're a starting point only.

Back
Top Bottom