I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

Yes it does lol. It also goes away if I roll down the tone knob to half (sounds terrible though).
There's feedback going on somewhere. It's probably not acoustic, because it still exists with essentially no volume in the room. I suspect it's magnetic (it sure sounds like it). The question is, what's putting out a magnetic field that corresponds to your signal?

By any chance is there signal to your headphones?

There's feedback going on somewhere. It's probably not acoustic, because it still exists with essentially no volume in the room. I suspect it's magnetic (it sure sounds like it). The question is, what's putting out a magnetic field that corresponds to your signal?

By any chance is there signal to your headphones?

No, I had them unplugged the entire time except when I tested them alone.

Then it's time to start eliminating possibilities. Turn off your monitors completely and see if the problem persists.

Then it's time to start eliminating possibilities. Turn off your monitors completely and see if the problem persists.
In that case how do I verify? Record "not playing", then turn the speakers back on and listen?

Ok thanks to Jezza's prompting, I eliminated one variable when I started to think outside the box. The difference between my gig monitors and studio monitors was because I CRANK output1 which goes to my computer / studio monitors, but output2 going to my gigging monitor was on maybe 40%. When I CRANKED output 2 to 100% the gigging monitors also squeal the same, even when I turn the speaker volume down to almost inaudible levels and walk 10 feet away.

So guitar into Axe-Fx into Alto full range monitor (or Yamaha studio monitor) both produce squealing. Seems like a software bug or something else really weird - because if I turn down the output to 40% and then crank up the actual speaker volume much louder than they were before, there's no squealing. It definitely requires that cranking of output volume (I'm not clipping the outputs though - no red lights come on). Which I can work around if that's all it is, sure. I just would like to know why it happens, and why my other guitar can't trigger it at all.

If I use headphones into of monitor, the squealing happens, but it takes longer to get to full squeal volume (probably because the guitar can't hear it very well).

Also the squealing mostly only happens in full bridge or full neck pickup selection, not any of the other 3 blend modes. Turning off the drive pedal also eliminates the squeal, but my tone definitely sounds worse with that, so I don't want to do that.

Any ideas? Faulty equipment? Known issue?

You should not crank AFX output 1 & 2 to 100 % but set their levels according to input level requirements for your monitors and MOTU. Around noon is good. Output: level and connections - Axe-Fx II Wiki

You should not crank AFX output 1 & 2 to 100 % but set their levels according to input level requirements for your monitors and MOTU. Around noon is good. Output: level and connections - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Well I know I'm not clipping the inputs on the MOTU (it has LED meters), but not sure about running direct into the monitors (there's no clip LED). I still get the squealing when running through the MOTU though. I'll test if the squealing happens with the monitors turned off and output on 100%.

Are you using MOTU's Mic inputs with -20 dB pad engaged? If so, use Line inputs instead. And be careful with your AFX output level :)

Are you using MOTU's Mic inputs with -20 dB pad engaged? If so, use Line inputs instead. And be careful with your AFX output level :)
I have the MOTU Traveler. All the inputs are XLR/1/4" jacks. I'm using the 1/4" part.

Final report, can't think of anything else to try.

My patch output volume is about 3-4dB below what would clip the outputs, by the way. If I turn the output1 volume past half (12 o'clock) it starts squealing when I'm not playing. Only with the Ibanez guitar, not with the McNaught. This is just guitar -> Axe-Fx 2XL -> either speaker.

I did a test of playing through my Korg Walkman-sized multi-FX unit (instead of Axe-Fx) with the volume turned all the way up and it has no squealing at all on similar-gained patches. So this really seems like some sort of weird software glitch that happens when output is turned up "too much" but not clipping. As I said before, total speaker volume isn't a factor. Only the output1 volume knob position is. But I have to be using a drive pedal or it doesn't happen.

I can send the patch if anyone wants to try on their guitars.

Have you tried repositioning yourself relative to the AFXii? If it changes the squeal, it may be electromagnetic feedback.
What if you roll back the guitar volume / tone controls? If the squeal changes you may have a ('tank') oscillator circuit comprised of the guitar components that just happen to be at the exact frequency to become a problem.

Last edited:
Have you tried repositioning yourself relative to the AFXii? If it changes the squeal, it may be electromagnetic feedback.
What if you roll back the guitar volume / tone controls? If the squeal changes you may have a ('tank') oscillator circuit comprised of the guitar components that just happen to be at the exact frequency to become a problem.

Rolling back volume or tone gets rid of the squeal. If doesn't "change" it just stops at a certain point.

Hmm... Interesting. It's a process of elimination, and you should be able to get to the bottom of it - and that will help even if it's the AXE that has developed a problem. Have you tried a different length (and/or brand) guitar cable?

Also, i would try the guitar in a different amplifier.

Hmm... Interesting. It's a process of elimination, and you should be able to get to the bottom of it - and that will help even if it's the AXE that has developed a problem. Have you tried a different length (and/or brand) guitar cable?

Also, i would try the guitar in a different amplifier.
Yeah I tried another cable. No change. Another amp? I could try that at the store I guess.

Nothing I'm sure. But I didn't want to put an interface into the equation (like a MOTU). This is the most stripped down findings I could do.
I'm not following you. You mean you tried it and you didn't get the squeal, or you did get the squeal, or you didn't try it, or...?

Ya, it will be interesting to find out how that goes. If you get the chance, you should try more than one amp while you're at it.

Back
Top Bottom