I finally did it!

Handyman

Inspired
After an enormous amount of waffling and internal debate about getting a FM3, keeping my AX8, or just jumping in with both feet to the Axe-Fx III... I just placed my order for the III.

Can't wait to give it a spin. I'm sure it'll sound incredible, and it has more than enough processing power for anything I'll do with it. And it should cure any desire to move on to other systems for years and years. I loved my AX8, but I was often bumping into DSP limits.

My only nagging concern is with portability. We'll see - if I stick it in a 3u shallow rack case it isn't much different than my case for the AX8. And the FC-6 will be small enough to fit in my backpack.

To those who have moved to the III from floor units - anyone miss having the device screen available at your feet? I'm hoping the scribble scripts on the FC-6 will help alleviate any nagging desire for the screen next to the switches.

After an enormous amount of waffling and internal debate about getting a FM3, keeping my AX8, or just jumping in with both feet to the Axe-Fx III... I just placed my order for the III.

Can't wait to give it a spin. I'm sure it'll sound incredible, and it has more than enough processing power for anything I'll do with it. And it should cure any desire to move on to other systems for years and years. I loved my AX8, but I was often bumping into DSP limits.

My only nagging concern is with portability. We'll see - if I stick it in a 3u shallow rack case it isn't much different than my case for the AX8. And the FC-6 will be small enough to fit in my backpack.

To those who have moved to the III from floor units - anyone miss having the device screen available at your feet? I'm hoping the scribble scripts on the FC-6 will help alleviate any nagging desire for the screen next to the switches.
Be ready for lots of fun and obsessive behavior. ....theFC6 is AOK! And much prettier than the AX8.

I had the AX8 at the time I got the III, still loved the sound, but just found I was always taking the III to gig with and traded my AX8 for a nice Carvin CT6.

From a portability standpoint, there really isn’t that much difference unless you fly gig to gig. As far as the screen, with the III up on a stand, I can get to all the controls easier than bending to the floor. I use a Quik-lok WS-540 stand that is adjustable for height, very sturdy, and my CLR fits under it. It’s compact, transports easily, and has full FAS max capabilities.

Unless you’re playing stadiums, you won’t miss a thing, and will gain a lot. If you are playing stadiums, this is your roadie’s problem. :)

Unless you’re playing stadiums, you won’t miss a thing, and will gain a lot. If you are playing stadiums, this is your roadie’s problem. :)

If only! Portability wise, I'm just trying to convince myself I'm not adding an extra trip back to my car for load in/out. I don't think I am, assuming I stick with a single FC-6.

If only! Portability wise, I'm just trying to convince myself I'm not adding an extra trip back to my car for load in/out. I don't think I am, assuming I stick with a single FC-6.
I have a cordura type rack case that has a pretty substantial pocket on the side, intended for a computer. I wonder if something like that would hold an FC-6 and cabling... it would be a great all in one solution! I use an RJM MMGT/22, so there’s no way I could do it that way.

I cured my load in dilemma with a Magliner Jr dolly. Wheels are a wonderful thing. Two guitars go into a Mono M80 dual guitar case that has padded backpack straps. It works great for the dreaded downtown Houston gigs where you have to pack everything in/out from a remote lot and up a freight/service elevator. I also have the Gemini Sr, but it doesn’t fit my trailer as easily. They’re not cheap, but when I saw UPS uses them for delivery through all kinds of locations, I knew it must work and would hold up. The have each met both of those expectations.

I better quit hijacking your thread! Check into those 3 space with a pocket cases. It might be a good option for you.

I have a cordura type rack case that has a pretty substantial pocket on the side, intended for a computer. I wonder if something like that would hold an FC-6 and cabling... it would be a great all in one solution! I use an RJM MMGT/22, so there’s no way I could do it that way.
You, sir, have one manly foot controller!

I'll check into the rack case with pockets - I didn't know that was even thing. Thanks.

I'm sure I'll love the setup. I just put myself on the FC wait list, so we'll see how quickly the FC backlog gets worked through.

The first two weeks I had it, I probably spent 30-40 hours working and learning what was possible.

That is not to say that it is that complicated, if you are essentially just looking for a basic setup with effects and (extremely) believable amp/cab emulation.

I'm in two very dissimilar bands. The first is dual vocal Psychedlic Death Metal Prog (I guess?!) and I use the Axe to trigger samples and sequencing on my iPad. The midi block is invaluable, and once it is setup, you can just step through the scenes in the song and everything happens. We're getting a DMX controller for lighting in the next several months, and the midi blocks will handle that too. I use the Engl Powerball for all heavy tones, and Princeton Reverb for cleans.

The other band is a sort of an eery haunted rock thing with elements of Queens of the Stone Age. We're a three piece and I use a Roland GR55 for synth, orchestra, violin etc. I used to have to tap dance and press buttons on the guitar to make things happen, but with the Midi block, I can just step through the scenes. I'm still experimenting, but so far I'm liking the Morgan AC20 for cleans and dirty, and the Engl Powerball for leads.

I've had a few technical issues (support was exceptional) but on balance I'm absolutely thrilled. I'm not finding I need anything beyond the FC6, an expression pedal and a one button footswitch (for stepping scenes), so I've lost interest in the FC12.

Enjoy your descent into the rabbit hole...

I did the same as you and I don't have any regrets, shure It's a little more to carry around but i'ts not like I went back to the carry a combo amp days.

Since I am waaaay down on the fc list. I went ahead a purchased a behringer fcb or something, so I have to remember wich button to press and hope I don't make a mistake.

Sometimes I question my life choices. UPS shows my AX3 went through Shrewsbury MA last night, which is where I worked before moving to Austin.

If I stayed in New England I'd already have it! :D

Back
Top Bottom