I feel like my wife...I can't decide which one I want! Help!

I wonder why anyone would ever need more than 384 presets and more IR slots than the normal Axe II can offer. I mean ... with scenes being a thing, I wouldn't even need more than 30 presets even in a die-hard cover band situation.

Seriously, save the money and get the bundle. The additional features of the XL are not worth the 650$ opportunity loss. Except if you are an IR-collector. But I really wonder why anyone would need more than 50 custom IRs, especially since we get more and more of the default IRs converted to UR with every firmware update.

If you really can't decide, make a list of presets you want to build (and possible amp+cab combinations for that ... check out the wiki to find out which models are in the axe). If that is within the limits of the II, get the II. If not, get the XL. I highly doubt the II will be anywhere close to it's limits when you're done with that.

There's always someone that wants MOAR.

I wonder why anyone would ever need more than 384 presets and more IR slots than the normal Axe II can offer. I mean ... with scenes being a thing, I wouldn't even need more than 30 presets even in a die-hard cover band situation.

Seriously, save the money and get the bundle. The additional features of the XL are not worth the 650$ opportunity loss. Except if you are an IR-collector. But I really wonder why anyone would need more than 50 custom IRs, especially since we get more and more of the default IRs converted to UR with every firmware update.

If you really can't decide, make a list of presets you want to build (and possible amp+cab combinations for that ... check out the wiki to find out which models are in the axe). If that is within the limits of the II, get the II. If not, get the XL. I highly doubt the II will be anywhere close to it's limits when you're done with that.

Presets - I used about 5. Maybe 10.

Cab slots - different story. I have a dozen favorites that I use all the time. But when I buy a few cabs from OH, the XL is very hand. 5 cab packs and you are talking about 450 IRs. You don't need them all. Defintately don't want them all. But seriously, I don't have time to cycle through 450 cabs sending them to the Axe via Axe Edit, just to sample them. But, I can upload them all into my Axe whilst I have a coffee and cycle through them at my leisure. Each time I find a favorite, I move it over to my favorites list. Eventually I remove the chaff and end up with 400 free slots. When I buy some more packs down the line, I have the space to do the same thing. When I bought, the price difference wasn't $600. Having the space is definitely a massive convenience. The fact that it can load anybody's preset is a bonus.

I bought my II about four months before the XL came out.

In reality after over a year of ownership, I haven't reached using 50 custom ir's yet and I have about 30 presets I made and anotehr 20 other users' presets that I liked enough to adopt..

I load some ir's and then I cull them when I come up with a Cab-Lab custom mix that is better than an individual ir.

The only sticking point for me is that people make these wonderful XL and soon XL+ presets that I cannot load & try out.

That is the only reason I could think to spend the extra $650, in order to be future proof in that regard.

That's my two cents.

Reactions: RD1
With the extra IR slots in the XL+, don't look at it as 300 different cabs with 300 different speakers, but look at it as having several cabs with multiple mics and mic placements options.

My favorite OH V3 cab right now is the Marshall Checkerboard with English 16 ohm V30s. That cab sounds great with most amps, and being able to use brighter or darker mic placements and mixes helps to find each individual amp's sweet spot with the cab yields some incredibly realistic tailored results. I think I have roughly 70 IRs of that cab, and auditioning through them makes it easy to hone in on perfecting your cabinet for a particular amp.

Multiply those 70 IRs by a few cabs and your IR count really begins to build up,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al made a fantastic software for auditioning IR's, Axefxsend (its free too). You just tell it the folder where the IR's are and it automatically can cycle through at a given rate as you play. Totally hands free so it sure beats having to keep clicking the mouse etc.

Its basically like having a third hand to keep sending new IR's to the scratch pad while your hands are on the guitar.

Sometimes I find its really nice to listen with my ears a bit and get surprised at what actually sounds good, opposed to what I think will sound good.

This thread pretty much solidified my choice of an XL...I think it'd bother me that there were XL presets out there that I like the sound of but can't use. Good luck on your choice OP!

...I think it'd bother me that there were XL presets out there that I like the sound of but can't use.

Yeah. I recently bought a used II just to get back in and see what was going on. I did think about an XL, though. Especially as you're a working, touring bloke, I recommend going XL.

Whatever you do be sure to get the same as the other bandmates so you can share patches more easily...

Yeah. Definitely this.

If I felt like my wife, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to stop touching myself.

Wait, what does this have to do with the Axe-Fx? :?

It's just my sensual influence, beau.

Well, after much deliberation, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the XL+. There were a couple things that pushed me over the top. It basically boils down to the future. I fear that the Mark II will peak sooner than I would prefer if I were to buy it. I also don't want to find myself in a situation where I find a patch that I like the sound of but can't use it.

I just wish the guys at Fractal would put some kind of combo together for the MFC and XL. But oh well. Looks like you got me again Cliff. May be six years later, but you got me. And I couldn't be happier. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom