I feel like my wife...I can't decide which one I want! Help!

Don't worry about the screen. I'm on my third Axe FX (Ultra, Axe II, Axe II). Nothing has failed. The Axe II/mfc combo is a real deal. A lot of cash left over for supplemental stuff. The XL's aren't any more powerful.

Oh, I thought that the deal was for a regular XL. Get the frickin' XL or XL+ because if you plan on getting into the IR game the extra slots will benefit you, plus you can use any patch. Hell I don't plan on upgrading any time soon, but I would definitely get the XL over the II if I was buying today.

Reactions: RD1
From what I understand, there isn't a problem with the screen other than the one they were using the XL is no longer available so they had to use a different screen. The new screen required a programming change so Cliff thought it would be easier to change the model name so there was no confusion between the two XL versions.

Get the XL+ and don't look back!

Always, Always by the latest, greatest equipment to fully be able to benefit and enjoy the current technology and it's compatibility with other equipment. I've got a MKII and I an going to buy the next Axe-Fx unit after the XL+ mainly for patch compatibility.

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think I would get so many so quickly. I think I'm gonna sleep on it tonight, but honestly I'm leaning toward getting the XL+. Nothing to do with the screen change or anything. I'm just starting to read about IRs and the like, as my Axe knowledge capped out when my Standard stopped getting updates a few years back. Looks like I have a LOT of catching up to do.

Ask your wife if she wants you to spend an extra $650 on something because it has things that you aren't sure you need. I bet you get a pretty quick decision. LOL

I just bought the Mk II + MFC-101 because of the bundle deal. If they had offered the XL+ in a bundle I'd have gone for that for sure. I know they may do so eventually but I don't want to wait. And at that point the AX8 might be out.

An old philosopher once said, if you can't decide which of two alternatives is best then they are of equal value. .

If you can't decide between two things you don't have enough information. Old philosopher does not necessarily equate to good philosopher.

If budget is an issue I'd look to a used Axe II (perhaps from a trusted forum member here who wants to upgrade)

Realistically how many user IR slots do most people use ? 50+ IR's per show ? How many real cabinets/speaker combos do most people own ? Same with presets.... is anyone really needing 300+ different presets ?

XL+ is a great product for sure, but I don't get where people are coming from who seem to suggest the II isn't a capable unit, or that people need to upgrade to the XL because the II was just so "limited" in the number of presets/IR slots it had.

I remember doing shows with 1, yes one amp, connected to one, again, one, speaker cab. I'd use the volume pot to go between clean, crunch and lead. Worked well, and honestly still does. Now we've got an embarrassment of riches with over 200 amps, 378 presets, 100's of IR's (counting some of the quite good stock locations) at all the press of a button and we still need more ?

I have an XL and was just scrolling through the hundreds of blank IR slots, and the 700 and something presets. It's cool to have, but I just haven't been using any more than I did with the Mk1. The last few FW updates sound so good, i really don't mess around with settings too much. I've gotten used to just picking an amp and trying a few different cabs then I'm playing guitar. I'm mostly using the factory cabs now!! i have several cab paks, ownhammer, the amp factory, you know like a couple thousand ir's (!), but I haven't even loaded them into the XL yet.

So OP, whatever you get, I don't think you'll regret it. The Mk1 and Mk2 have a lot of room for presets and cabs, the XL just has much more room. I got the XL to see if the new instrument input made a difference, and I couldn't tell the difference from a Mk1. If the idea of the XL is bugging you, like it was me, then get it. Just don't tell your wife! :lol

XL. As soon as you download a couple of CABs from OH you will immediately see the benefit to having those slots. I keep the first 100 free to drop in my favourite IRs and use the rest for auditioning each you cab pack I buy and keeping the ones I like. I can't imagine being stuck with just a handful of slots.

I wonder why anyone would ever need more than 384 presets and more IR slots than the normal Axe II can offer. I mean ... with scenes being a thing, I wouldn't even need more than 30 presets even in a die-hard cover band situation.

Seriously, save the money and get the bundle. The additional features of the XL are not worth the 650$ opportunity loss. Except if you are an IR-collector. But I really wonder why anyone would need more than 50 custom IRs, especially since we get more and more of the default IRs converted to UR with every firmware update.

If you really can't decide, make a list of presets you want to build (and possible amp+cab combinations for that ... check out the wiki to find out which models are in the axe). If that is within the limits of the II, get the II. If not, get the XL. I highly doubt the II will be anywhere close to it's limits when you're done with that.

Last edited:
Get what works for you. If you do not need all the bells and whistles in the XL then get the II. I have the money to upgrade to an XL but cannot justify it. The II does all I need.

Whatever you do be sure to get the same as the other bandmates so you can share patches more easily...

Save that money and put it towards expression pedals and cables and a new pedal board and everything else. You can get the FASLINK adapter for $50. It's a no brainer! etc. etc.
But what if something happens to the screen on the II? What happens in a year when Cliff comes out with a game changer that can only be applied to the XL and your II has now gone the way of your Standard?
This is where I need all of your help. I think its fair to say that most if not all of you have more experience with the new generation of Axe FX than I do. Weigh in here. Let me know what you think. Either way, I need them both. And I need them pretty soon.

So personally coming from a "2nd hand" ownership of the AFX II Original and MFC Mark II, I would pay the extra money towards to XL+ and MFC for the warranty mostly. I worry about the day that I have an actual issue with my Axe-FX but I know FAS will take care of me even at a cost.

I would buy the brand new everything and what chucma stated, buy expression pedals as you can. Dunlop DVXP-3's are $100 on Amazon prime and there are other solutions for less than $100. I would make an effort to consolidate what you need and don't need as far as gear if you're going to commit to the new stuff. I did that about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier with having a Gator Case and Pedaltrain-2 Flight Case with 200+ amps and about 2,000 effects completely mobile ;).

Back
Top Bottom