I don't understand the hate for the green screen...

I will be happy when the screen is updated (except that will prompt me to upgrade, and that'll hit the pocket book hard). I don't buy the argument that Axe Edit replaces the need for a better screen. Everyone's usage is different, but my guitar rig lives at our rehearsal space half-an-hour away; I commute by motorcycle, so I don't find hauling a laptop around is very convenient, nor do I have a spare laptop to leave with my rig. I've learned to work with what I have (the old-tech green screen), but it definitely feels a bit outdated, especially for what is arguably the most advanced modeling processor out there.

Reactions: BBN
High res displays are good for being able to show more information (even at the same scale) due to more pixels. In the Axe-Fx case this would be more accurate view of knob position and so on. The monochrome green is actually fine because it offers somewhat better visibility on a dark stage compared to full color displays. The screen size on the other hand is quite miserable and much of the device's space near the display is dedicated to LEDs that are largely unnecessary. Clip LEDs could be crammed above output knobs and a larger display would be able to represent level metering much more accurately.

Clunky hardware user interfaces are the only thing that I find lacking in Fractal Audio's hardware. Poor button placement, the navigation controls could easily be a console controller style D-pad and more knobs for quick settings would be more than welcome.

I will say, of all the monochromatic screen colors, green is the best. Blue is the absolute worst. Ever notice how any pedal with blue LEDs always seems to blind you? Ever noticed how the sky is blue? It's because water molecules scatter blue wavelengths more than other colors. Blue LEDs are cute and all, but I hate when they're on anything that's going to be in a dark room; that blue light seems to come into your eye balls and turn into a big blue haze. Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I finally managed to rip off the scratchproff plastic from my Axe. Man, it's green, more green than your ordinary lawn.
But, hey, it's not working with Windows 8. I poke and poke and nothing happens.
This is just wrong on a piece of equipment that costed me more than my latest tablet.
I'm done with playing.

I finally managed to rip off the scratchproff plastic from my Axe. Man, it's green, more green than your ordinary lawn.
But, hey, it's not working with Windows 8. I poke and poke and nothing happens.
This is just wrong on a piece of equipment that costed me more than my latest tablet.
I'm done with playing.

Axe Edit works fine for me on Windows 8, I have it on a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and it works great with the Axe FX.

Can you imagine if you could connecy let say, the Axe III via Bluetooth wirelessly to the MIssion Engineering Gemini II ???? Bluetooth +1 App+1
Not to get off topic too much here, but back when I was contemplating going down the DIY footcontroller rabbit hole with my son as a project it would have definitely been a wireless solution of some kind. I mean if you're going to build your own at least bring a new feature set.

Unfortunately neither of us seem to have any spare time to invest in that one.

Additional graphics suck microprocessor usage. An additional microprocessor (and additional interface hardware) present potential noise problems. It could be done but I would rather Cliff spent his time on updates that make the unit sound better (like he has been doing) then putting his time into making it look pretty.
Once I have my preset (mostly) dialed in, I am not looking at the face all that much.

Axe Edit works fine for me on Windows 8, I have it on a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet and it works great with the Axe FX.
How well does the touch screen work with the controls in Axe Edit? I find the control a bit jumpy when I use it on a MacBook Pro with the touchpad. I find it okay with a mouse wheel, but not as fine-tunable as I'd prefer (increments jump too much as the wheel is moved).

I find the control a bit jumpy when I use it on a MacBook Pro with the touchpad. I find it okay with a mouse wheel, but not as fine-tunable as I'd prefer (increments jump too much as the wheel is moved).

Tweak the sensivity of the touchpad and/or of the mouse wheel!

Additional graphics suck microprocessor usage. An additional microprocessor (and additional interface hardware) present potential noise problems. It could be done but I would rather Cliff spent his time on updates that make the unit sound better (like he has been doing) then putting his time into making it look pretty.
Once I have my preset (mostly) dialed in, I am not looking at the face all that much.

Why not focus on both.....?
Cliff is not the only person who works there.

It provides a high contrast display which is important in being able to read it and it probably keeps the development of that portion to a minimum where resources can be focused on improving the sound which is why this is a fantastic unit.

It might be high contrast from bang on up front, but a wider viewing angle would be appreciated. Once you get about 30 degrees off axis the high contrast gets pretty low.

Does the greenscreen bother me? No.

Would I invest 100-200$ more for a better front panel design of our black box of wonders? Pretty sure.

Reactions: BBN
Back
Top Bottom