I don't think serious music mastering is ever going to adopt Dolby Atmos to replace stereo.

I didn't want to like it. I was ready to wave it away as pretty gimicky. But, uh, I really, really like it. Doesn't work for every track its been applied to so far, but when it does work it's something special.

Riders on the Storm -- it's like sitting inbetween the four of them in the studio while the finish the 10th take.

That rework of Tom Sawyer on my Atmos home theater sounds incredible. Instruments move in nice ways around me and sounds are placed well. The use of the center channel, in particular, for the vocals is really nice.

I really want to see Pulse re-mixed for Atmos now. That would kick ass.
I spent several hours listening to tracks in Atmos today with my earphones in, and I’m impressed. Yes, Riders on the Storm, Tom Sawyer and Limelight sound great. I’m listening to the Atmos version of Rebel Yell right now and the clarity of the instruments and their placement sounds like I’m sitting in the studio during a run through, and Steve Stevens’ guitar stands out really well.

Back
Top Bottom