I don't normally try to predict things but.....

My guess...an Axe-Fx III floor model, that can be placed or may even dock to the FC's on either side. The metal bars on the side would then prevent you from stomping on the Axe-Fx III screen, knobs, etc.
See my thinking was an FX with built in expression pedals on either side and the metal bars would stop you from accidentally bumping the expression pedal, or accidentally switching channels while using the expression.

i personally don't like Expression pedals attached to the main unit. you can't angle them or move them around, and if they break, they look really dumb and are useless. they usually break because people carry the unit by those pedals. 1 cable and a separate pedal doesn't add too much to setup time at all. of course, all my opinion and how i use them. i also personally put pedals on the right side only. i don't like 1 on either side and do the "change stance dance" all night :D

My guess...an Axe-Fx III floor model, that can be placed or may even dock to the FC's on either side. The metal bars on the side would then prevent you from stomping on the Axe-Fx III screen, knobs, etc.

Cleverly disguised docking ports!!

upload_2018-11-26_18-2-6.png

Hi Matt,

I think you do want to be part of the rumor mill! :p
Thanks
Pauly

I have a sneaking suspicion that the release of Fractal's next generation of "all-in-one on-the-floor" product(s)(e.g. the AX-8 II) is on the horizon and here's why.

1) The AX-8 is almost 4 years old and based upon Fractal's track record, it's at the end of it's life.

2) The Axe-FX II XL+ is discontinued so firmware updates are no more.

3) Despite having different processors, the Axe-FX and AX-8 share come code so if the Axe-FX firmware updates at their end then it would make sense that the AX-8's firmware updates are in the same state.

4) The Axe FX III is Fractal's answer (albeit a significantly higher-end answer) to the Line 6 Helix Rack so it would stand to reason that they need to counter the Line 6 Helix floor models.

5) The new foot controllers (FC-6 and FC-12) are due to be released next month which means Fractal has been designing a new foot controller for a while and the design principles and features of these products open the door for a new "all-in-one on-the-floor" product.

6) Cliff Chase made this comment in a recent thread on the new FC foot controllers:
This in reference to the metal bar (like the one on the AX-8) that was on the beta version of the FC foot controllers.

7) Lastly, I just ordered an AX-8 and the last time I ordered new Fractal products (Axe FX II XL+ and MFC 101 III), they released a new product shortly thereafter (the AX-8). While this is purely superstition, please refer all my previous points.

To be clear, posting this makes me a bit uncomfortable because I don't like to be part of the rumor mill but I really things that planets are aligning on this one.

What do you think?

7) Lastly, I just ordered an AX-8 and the last time I ordered new Fractal products (Axe FX II XL+ and MFC 101 III), they released a new product shortly thereafter (the AX-8). While this is purely superstition, please refer all my previous points.

That is very convincing.

I've also ordered an AX8 recently, so it may happen soon.

Methinks that if FAS were suddenly offering a huge sale on the AX-8 you should be worried that something new is coming. That's what happened with the XL+. People were going 'I'd like to get one, but what if this means an Axe III will come?' And we were all going nah, don't worry, the XL+ is the best in the world, nothing is coming. And boy, were we wrong. And the ironic thing is, if you think away the Axe III, the XL+ is still the best thing in the world. Nothing still doesn't come close to it.

I agree something floor based is in the works, mainly because of Cliffs comments in the Ax4 thread

He dropped a couple of "I know nothing" pics, so either he knows nothing - which we all know is untrue, or something is coming.
I think a simplified floorboard, or something based off of the new Axe3 controllers

Either way, we can speculate all we want, but until Cliff decides its ready NOTHING will be confirmed

While we're all making predictions...

I predict that the II and the AX-8 will receive one last update, Quantum 11, just like how the Ultra and Standard were given a firmware 11. I also think an AX-8 successor will be announced immediately after NAMM, just like the III was. Then again, Cliff's comments about the new FC's and saying the reason they removed the bars will be obvious in a few months makes me doubt that a bit. But I still think we're getting one last firmware.

I predict that the II and the AX-8 will receive one last update

Except of course that this has already happened. Quantum 10 ported the part of Axe Fx III Ares modelling that could be ported to the Axe Fx 2 and Ax8. This was likely the final update before the Ax8 successor.

The Axe-II is missing the Friedman 2018 C45 model compared to the AX-8 and Cliff said a while back they were gonna port it "soon". That may or may not happen, but I'm under the impression that unless it is explicitly stated that all firmware updates will stop, there's still at least one more left. We'll see.

Here's my guess, there will be two models:

1) AX6 in the same chassis as the FC-12. Display and knobs will be placed where the top row of switches and the display are currently on the FC-12.

2) AX3 in the chassis of the FC-6, same as above.

Both will sport a faslink connection to expand the footswitch count by connecting an FC6 or FC12.

I think the big question is what will they strip back

No USB interface like the AX8
One amp block 4 channels amp
One cab block
Limited effects ??

Price point I am guessing 1499-1699
Depending on what cut out

Considering how much godlike DSP the Axe III has with the new chips I would be terribly disappointed if a new AX-X at the very least did not have comparable power and capabilities as the XL+. If not a little more. That alone would make it a Helix killer. Superior bonus skills if it can also double as a MIDI switcher.

Back
Top Bottom