I don't get new, relic guitars.

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
Can someone please explain this concept to me? Who goes for this? I think Fender are the only ones doing this. Is this just a marketing thing? Is there big demand for this? It always seemed to me that a guitar was supposed to earn those nicks, scratches, scuffs and cigarette burns from years of hard use, not the machinations of a dude at the factory in Corona, CA, trashing an otherwise unremarkable (read: not yet earned itself its place in the heart and mind of its owner, or second owner, etc) new guitar assembled from the parts bin, suddenly "custom" and therefore carrying a heavy price tag for the "heavy relic" moniker.

I'm not necessarily trashing the concept or Fender, just trying to wrap my head around it. I wouldn't buy a new car off the showroom floor and pay extra for someone at the plant to go to it with a sander, or roll a supermarket shopping cart into the side to give it that "lived-in" look. I like to fuck my own jeans up over time, also BTW. Seems to me that these ideas all live in the same vicinity - new jeans that look vintage, restored old pickup trucks given the "patina" treatment, relic'd guitars.

Sig models I get, but not the relic thing.

Opinions? Discuss.

I do not dig relic'd guitars either -- I cannot stand the phony wear marks on the fret board.

But hey look at it this way -- when you ding up your new guitar you won't even notice it and it won't hurt the resale value ... LOL

Can someone please explain this concept to me? Who goes for this? I think Fender are the only ones doing this. Is this just a marketing thing? Is there big demand for this? It always seemed to me that a guitar was supposed to earn those nicks, scratches, scuffs and cigarette burns from years of hard use, not the machinations of a dude at the factory in Corona, CA, trashing an otherwise unremarkable (read: not yet earned itself its place in the heart and mind of its owner, or second owner, etc) new guitar assembled from the parts bin, suddenly "custom" and therefore carrying a heavy price tag for the "heavy relic" moniker.

I'm not necessarily trashing the concept or Fender, just trying to wrap my head around it. I wouldn't buy a new car off the showroom floor and pay extra for someone at the plant to go to it with a sander, or roll a supermarket shopping cart into the side to give it that "lived-in" look. I like to fuck my own jeans up over time, also BTW. Seems to me that these ideas all live in the same vicinity - new jeans that look vintage, restored old pickup trucks given the "patina" treatment, relic'd guitars.

Sig models I get, but not the relic thing.

Opinions? Discuss.

There are a lot of makers doing the relic thing which makes it even more absurd as they don't have the Fender headstock or name on them. No one is being fooled you have a vintage guitar if you buy one. :lol

Same reason why some people buy ripped jeans... style! I'm not fond of the concept though. If it's a new guitar, it should look new... but that's just me. I guess that's what it is about... to each his/her own.

I think relic'd guitars look cool. +10 factor if its 'earned' and you created the relic'd look by playing with it over the years. My only thought of why someone today would buy a relic'd guitar would be this. I have had the same 2 axes for the past 10+ years. Now I dont play on the 'road', I dont go on 'tour'. But I have been in steady bands throughout those years. Amongst the once a week practices, 1 or 2 shows a weekend most months, and non stop 'tweaking' of my rigs over the years.....I barely have any pick swirls on both guitars. They show their age in other ways...dings and cracked finishes on edges that have bumped speakers/walls/other musicians....they dont have that vintage relic'd look of being played as much as I have.

I think the build quality of the finishes prevents lots of guitars these days from achieving that look as easily as they did back 40 years ago....so I think in some degree, buying a relic'd guitar is a way to get something that is tougher to achieve now.

I don't get it myself, but is no skin off my nose if people like that. Whatever floats your boat...

i'm going to try and stay out of this convo as much as I can...but I know not one player who has ever bought a relic guitar to try and pass of the wear as legit, they buy it because they like the way it looks. plus they make great gigging guitars if you are worried about a nice axe getting beat up...

I don't have any issues with them, other than the prices they are asking for them. It's also becoming popular to do old cars like this, it's known as "faux patina". I have a 55 Chevy pickup that I did this to, it was redone to look as if it had been sitting outside for years, minus the rust and holes. Lots of people like it, and I'm sure there are lots that don't, but I find myself driving it more than my nice truck because I don't have to worry about it getting dinged up. As for guitars, if I wanted a worn looking guitar, I would just buy a cheap used guitar and do it myself before I'd pay relic'd guitar prices.

Here's a video with a "relic'd" vibe (not to mention some nice looking ladies) ...

Recognize the car Billy's driving? A relic'd version of the car from the "Eliminator" era.

Last edited:
You should ask this over at the Gear Page.

Nah. I've whittled down to just this forum. After that it's just the incessant buzzing of the internet, and I'm pretty well over the internet at this point. Just some decent folk here and the live meatspace and I'm good.

I own a 50s Road Worn Strat that I bought because I was impressed by its playability, tone and mojo. That said, I think that at this point Fender has produced more relic guitars than there are 50s and 60s beat up Fender guitars in the wild. My only complaint with the Road Worn is the overdone relicing on the fretboard, which is why I've considered slapping a new neck on at some point.

Some people love relics, some don't.

Last edited:
i have a roadworn (60s) as well.
i didn't buy it thinking it would fool others into thinking i had a vintage.
i picked it up, thought it played and sounded great, and bought it knowing i won't need to go through the pain of the first ding.
i don't have a specific opinion on relics or people who own them.

When I grow up I want to be just like Billy!

I get why some get all cork siff'n about fake wear on a guitar. I don't share the same opinion but I get it. I'm not sure I would spend the cash that properly relic'd guitars bring even if I could afford it. But with all of that said, I think some of them just look cool as hell. You're right. It's no different than faded jeans. It's a style option just as the fancy tops are.

Some people like red guitars. Some people like blue guitars. Some people like guitars that look old. Who cares? It's a cool look. I don't think anyone is trying to fool their audience into thinking they've been playing that 2013 model for 20 years. I think they like the way it looked and sounded and bought the damn guitar! I love the reliced look. I hate buying a new guitar that's perfect and feeling the need to tip toe everywhere with it, protecting it from all things sharp and pointy. I have a distressed ESP Eclipse, and though I haven't beaten it up yet, I know that when it does get it's first ding it won't be as tragic. I probably won't even notice it. To each their own, man.

Also, the argument of "Would you buy a beaten up car," or, "Would you buy a beaten AXE-FX?" seems like it's a bit of a stretch.

I don't really care what the guitar looks like, as long as it sounds good and plays well... but I don't own any reliced guitars, other than my LsL that has a little finish checking and the aged metal parts (that I couldn't care less about). I would gladly own a relic guitar if it happen to hit me right when I pick it up. To each their own... I'm more interested in whether (I or) a person can play the damn thing and make some music...

Also, the argument of "Would you buy a beaten up car," or, "Would you buy a beaten AXE-FX?" seems like it's a bit of a stretch.

When you drive a beaten up car, most people feel sorry for you and assume you are struggling financially. Of course it is inconceivable, you would pay full price for a new automobile that: had rust, paint chips and dings in it. For whatever reason, fake wear on a guitar are perceived as battle scars of being a road dog, out there making it happen. Those dents and chips are badges of courage.

It's simply a matter of perception. Are DD implants in a 5'4" girl that weighs 100 lbs an improvement? Or do they look ridiculous? You can find supporters of each view.

Back
Top Bottom