I don't get it....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
I'm sure this will offend some, but it just irks me. Everytime there is in a update there is a FLOOD of the same types of posts, all seeming like their guitar rig world is falling down on them......but most of the time an adjustment here or there is all that is needed. It's like people expect their presets to stay EXACTLY the same no matter what. You know what,

if it's louder...TURN IT DOWN

if it's too bright...DARKEN IT

if it's too dark...BRIGHTEN IT

if it seems like there is more gain...TURN THE GAIN OR INPUT TRIM DOWN

if it lacks bass...TURN UP THE BASS

etc....

I just don't get it.

And whats with the hype about firmwares and ae? My AxeFx2 has sounded great since fw6. And people were like, dude I need the upgrade now!

Because of the affordability factor, the average age on this guitar-related forum is higher than most. Advanced age equals more bitching.

if it's louder...TURN IT DOWN

if it's too bright...DARKEN IT

if it's too dark...BRIGHTEN IT

if it seems like there is more gain...TURN THE GAIN OR INPUT TRIM DOWN

if it lacks bass...TURN UP THE BASS

etc....

I just don't get it.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Let's say you arrived at your perfect tone in an earlier firmware version. New firmware comes out, you love some of the new features, the fact that you have a working Axe-Edit, etc. and you don't want to revert. But, something's off. Maybe things seem too bright or dark (or a million other possibilities). Simply turning a knob won't always get you back where you want to be. Sculpting the ideal tone is incredibly complex and every variable affects another. For example, let's say things are overly bright. You try turning down presence. Helps, but no cigar. Maybe the presence control isn't affecting all the necessary frequencies that need tamed. Or, the frequencies it does affect are causing changes in your perception of other frequencies. Finding that perfect tone is IMO based on 25% knowledge of how to get there and 75% luck. Some people get kind of pissed when what they've worked so hard to achieve doesn't seem to be achievable any longer.

Then again, some people just love to whine...;)

It's just update butthurt. People get their tones just where they like them for the current firmware and freak out when they don't sound the same. :eek: I've been guilty of this myself.

I think my Axe shipped with firm 6 in May 2012. I can't believe how far we've come. I agree the updates are disruptive, but I'm fortunate in that I do not play professionally, and when I prepare for a set, they are short, like less than 10 songs. So, I just have to go through the patches for the songs (and scenes) and massage those. I can do it in 3 hours or less. Then I keep track of which patches I've already tweaked, and if different songs come up the next time I play, I fresh those patches.

If I was actively in a touring, or cover band, where I had to maintain 50-100 patches, and played every couple of days, and worked during the daytime - yeah, I'd wait for a longer break before upgrading.

What I'd probably do, it maintain pre and post 11 patches, and load 11 when I wanted to continue my update process, then roll back and load v 10 only presets, so I could gig at night...tedious, but necessary to systematically go through 100 presets and scenes and make the adjustments, without sinking the ship at an evening gig.

Or, I could just hire Alex Lifeson's tech and make him do it. Is it just me, or is it an interesting coincidence that they are a Canadian band, and Scotty looks like the Doug McKenzie brother played by Dave Thomas? And that Geddy did that cameo on Take Off in the late 70's/early 80's?

Because of the affordability factor, the average age on this guitar-related forum is higher than most. Advanced age equals more bitching.

What evidence do you have that younger people bitch less?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Let's say you arrived at your perfect tone in an earlier firmware version. New firmware comes out, you love some of the new features, the fact that you have a working Axe-Edit, etc. and you don't want to revert. But, something's off. Maybe things seem too bright or dark (or a million other possibilities). Simply turning a knob won't always get you back where you want to be. Sculpting the ideal tone is incredibly complex and every variable affects another. For example, let's say things are overly bright. You try turning down presence. Helps, but no cigar. Maybe the presence control isn't affecting all the necessary frequencies that need tamed. Or, the frequencies it does affect are causing changes in your perception of other frequencies. Finding that perfect tone is IMO based on 25% knowledge of how to get there and 75% luck. Some people get kind of pissed when what they've worked so hard to achieve doesn't seem to be achievable any longer.

Then again, some people just love to whine...;)

If its perfect then why do you need the new features? ;)

For me every time there is a major FW upgrade I always wait till i have at least a week or so in between gigs to upgrade, and usually just start all my presets from scratch, so I've never had to complaint.. :) I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, but will do it as soon as possible, but I upgraded an Axe II for a a friend and got to mess a round with FW 11 for a while and loved it. My presets aren't complicated, but I can understand some people with very complicated patches being upset, but ya, just adjust whatever doesn't sound right to your ear.
A big thanks again to Cliff and the whole Fractal team, can't believe how hard this company works to always keep this product getting better and better, in 30 years of buying music gear I've never seen anything like this from any other company!!

A big thanks again to Cliff and the whole Fractal team, can't believe how hard this company works to always keep this product getting better and better, in 30 years of buying music gear I've never seen anything like this from any other company!!

True dat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom