I dig dis toahn! Do u?

I liked the tone and get why you'd like it, but the Axe II with FW11 has many great dynamic amps that will do different flavors of a similar idea. Tweed, Supro, Voxes, Wrecker, BF Fenders with a little gain pedal. There are many roads to a sound that goes from almost clean to crunch just with dynamics and or a little tweak of the volume knob on your guitar.

It's all about getting the gain structure right between your guitar and the amp, plus having the right cab that responds well to clean through crunch. Part of what I'm loving about FW11 is really everything. Gains and trim WAY down and the super clean sounds are great. Up a bit and things fill in beautifully and have a great old school touch responsive quality (BF Fenders have that not quite clean, slightly compressed, sound great for big fat chords and also has just enough responsiveness to make bluesy lines come alive). Up a little further from there and you're in the terrain of this clip. Up further from that (or not necessarily actually), the Jumper'd Plexis are marvels of touch responsiveness heading into beautiful crunch and singing leads. And on and on up the gain scale. But they also generally respond super well to having guitar volume pulled back into some area between clean and crunch.

I love the kind of middling dynamic tones in the clip, but I don't find it any more special than any of a number of amps in the Axe in similar terrain.

Back
Top Bottom