I did the test.

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
Going FRFR for a while now but haven't gigged it. I've been getting ready lately to try. I bought Cab-Lab and bought IRs and made IRs. I keep getting so close but just wasn't sure if I could gig without my tube rig. So tonight I mic'ed my tube rig thru the P.A. and put it in my back room to isolate it. I couldn't believe how bad it sounded. The Axe Fx was so much more defined and precise. I think I'm ready to gig FRFR. I'm excited!
I did have an issue today that I'm not sure is normal. I ran thru my Friedman's then out to the P.A. and when I plugged into the P.A. my volume dropped on the Friedmans by about 10 or 15 db. Is this normal?

Describe the setup exactly so we can troubleshoot. What cables what outputs etc
First, I ran mic cables from output 1 of the Axe to the inputs on the Friedman's and then from the XLR outputs on the Friedman's into two channels on the mixer board. The volume dropped quite a bit on the Friedman's so I ran a splitter type Y out of the Axe Fx's XLR outs and split one to the P.A. and one to the Friedman's and the Friedman's still dropped in volume so I turned the P.A. off to see if maybe It was a ground issue or something and even with the P.A. off it drops as soon as I plug into the P.A.

I know what you mean. I found the same thing too.
What I attribute it to is the fact that the IRs are captured with the mics in the best/optimal position for the cab, so you get the best tone to FOH.
With micing and amp some sound guys just don't care and as long as the mic is in front of the amp, they think it's good enough. Rarely will you get a FOH engineer that will actually jump on stage and move the mic to get the best tone to FOH for him to work with.

I've done the same test several times with the same results ! Dropping a mic in front of an amp in an average situation never sounds good to me compared to what I hear from the amp .
The volume drop issue sounds like a Friedman issue. How about just running out 1 to your PA and out 2 to the Friedman monitors ? I allways run mine this way so I have volume control on the monitors that doesn't effect the Foh signal.

I've done the same test several times with the same results ! Dropping a mic in front of an amp in an average situation never sounds good to me compared to what I hear from the amp .
The volume drop issue sounds like a Friedman issue. How about just running out 1 to your PA and out 2 to the Friedman monitors ? I allways run mine this way so I have volume control on the monitors that doesn't effect the Foh signal.
The Friedman's only have XLR connecters and output 2 of the Ax is 1/4". That's why I asked in another thread awhile back if someone knew how to solder some humbuster to XLR cables. I could get an adapter but it wouldn't be humbuster.

Did you use a real guitar cab? then you should trying to use the FX loop in your amp and not the frontinput on your amp - it makes quiet a diffence. This way you avoid the preamp in your Friedmann.

REDD,

I run two Friedman ASM-12's in stereo w/ no issue or volume drop to the mixer (or my FRFR cabs) at all.

I run my XLR outs into the ASM & the run a 2nd XLR cable from the ASM to the board.

I know that this may not help you at all, but I'm just letting you know that I have no issue here at all. I assume that you have the Friedman ASM-12's since you said that you ran FRFR too.

I have the ground switch on both set to off or Earth......or whatever it says.......& I do use the bass freq cut switch as well.

Good luck chasing down this issue.

X

Last edited:
The Friedman's only have XLR connecters and output 2 of the Ax is 1/4". That's why I asked in another thread awhile back if someone knew how to solder some humbuster to XLR cables. I could get an adapter but it wouldn't be humbuster.

Oh, sorry, didn't mention I use 1/4 trs to xlr cables , works great!

Have you tried going through the monitors individually to the PA one at a time? Do both do the same thing? Phantom power possibly?

I was going to ask if phantom power on the board was turned on and if that affects either the Axe or the Friedmans.

Have you tried going through the monitors individually to the PA one at a time? Do both do the same thing? Phantom power possibly?
Yes, I've tried that. Phantom power is off. I'm in Marshfield if you ever get by here stop in.

Reactions: RDH
I'll look at the Friedman manual in a bit, but the volume drop is not because of the axe.

Yes, I've tried that. Phantom power is off. I'm in Marshfield if you ever get by here stop in.
That would be great! would like to meet you. I agree with Chris, it wouldn't be the AxFx. And if both Friedmans do it I wouldn't think it's them either. I didn't see any mention of trying several different cables to make sure one isn't bad ,but assume you probably did. ( any chance there's any DMX cables in the mix?
IIRC you mention in other threads you have QSC's also. does the volume drop with those connected in a similar routing?

That would be great! would like to meet you. I agree with Chris, it wouldn't be the AxFx. And if both Friedmans do it I wouldn't think it's them either. I didn't see any mention of trying several different cables to make sure one isn't bad ,but assume you probably did. ( any chance there3's any DMX cables in the mix?
IIRC you mention in other threads you have QSC's also. does the volume drop with those connected in a similar routing?
Yeah there's nothing in the Friedman manual that indicates a drop when using the outputs. Strange that it happened with a splitter as well.

If you haven't tried completely different cables, I'd do that first. Otherwise I'm not sure what's happening.

Reactions: RDH
Yeah there's nothing in the Friedman manual that indicates a drop when using the outputs. Strange that it happened with a splitter as well.

If you haven't tried completely different cables, I'd do that first. Otherwise I'm not sure what's happening.

Yes, It almost seems there's a problem cable, or one wired differently.

Yes, It almost seems there's a problem cable, or one wired differently.
I'll try the QSC's and see if they do it. I have all new cables but you never know so I'll try that also. Thanks RDH

I will Chris, thanks buddy!

I will Chris, thanks buddy!
Ok, I tried new cables and running into the QSC's and as soon as I plug into the P.A. the volume drops a good amount. It does it with the P.A. powered on or powered off, makes no difference. I'm lost on this on.

Back
Top Bottom