I did a bad bad thing.

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
So stupid. I sold my FM3 on reverb. Yay! I was deleting my user presets in preparation for packing. Buying FM9. Yay! Unfortunately I also had both FM3-Edit and AxeIII-Edit open. I shift clicked and deleted the user presets for Axe Fx III instead of FM3. As soon as I hit save I realized what I had done but hitting cancel didn’t work! In retrospect maybe I could have pasted them back? I don’t know.

It’s really not a huge loss. I can recreate a lot of them and I really needed to do that anyway. My most recent full back up was about a month ago. I try to save individual presets but I didn’t for everything. Yikes.

Be careful. I’m a long term Fractal guy. Never done this.

Frequent backups is definitely not a bad thing. I wonder if that process can be automated? Like... can I initiate a backup with a script or something? A one touch backup would be super nice, rather than having to go through the multi-step process like it is now.

Frequent backups is definitely not a bad thing. I wonder if that process can be automated? Like... can I initiate a backup with a script or something? A one touch backup would be super nice, rather than having to go through the multi-step process like it is now.
Ooh, this is a good wish idea for FractalBot - scriptable command-line commands for the shell. You could replace yourself with a small shell script similar to this one, on a cron job....

#!/bin/bash
### back_up_fx3.sh

fractalbot backup 1 all

exit 0

A fancier script might include parameters to choose which unit to back up and maybe a paramer list of individual banks and/or the system params....

I just sold my III Mk I and decided the only way to force myself to fix all the things "I've been meaning to" was to not save anything and re-do them all. You may end up happier that you hit that delete button when it's all over. It is a little sick feeling, though, when you realize you just flushed a one way valve!

That's a bummer and I definitely feel your pain! Not specifically with losing my fractal presets but with finding myself in a jam due to the wrong keypress or mouse click! I'll beat the drum again of a better method/workflow for preset management from fractal. Nothing is fool proof but I'd love for my most recent changes to always be stored on my computer somewhere without the need to have taken a backup. In my mind I have a library where my presets are stored and some of that library is sync'd up to my hardware unit. That library I should be able to tag / sort / create lists from etc. It should be auto tagged with common preset info so I can quickly find all my presets with some effect type or amp type etc. Also, If I fat finger something I could just restore quickly from time machine and be back to where I was a few minutes prior. LOVE fractal but this is the one area I feel like they are really behind on. It would be nice if this imagined library could also manage full backups as it does now for when we know we need a restore point but I'm ok just using fractal bot as it stands now for those occasions.

I just sold my III Mk I and decided the only way to force myself to fix all the things "I've been meaning to" was to not save anything and re-do them all. You may end up happier that you hit that delete button when it's all over. It is a little sick feeling, though, when you realize you just flushed a one way valve!
This actually is why I’m not freaking out. I really need to redo a bunch from scratch and I know what I need and how to do it. I’ve just been lazy. Lol.

That's a bummer and I definitely feel your pain! Not specifically with losing my fractal presets but with finding myself in a jam due to the wrong keypress or mouse click! I'll beat the drum again of a better method/workflow for preset management from fractal. Nothing is fool proof but I'd love for my most recent changes to always be stored on my computer somewhere without the need to have taken a backup. In my mind I have a library where my presets are stored and some of that library is sync'd up to my hardware unit. That library I should be able to tag / sort / create lists from etc. It should be auto tagged with common preset info so I can quickly find all my presets with some effect type or amp type etc. Also, If I fat finger something I could just restore quickly from time machine and be back to where I was a few minutes prior. LOVE fractal but this is the one area I feel like they are really behind on. It would be nice if this imagined library could also manage full backups as it does now for when we know we need a restore point but I'm ok just using fractal bot as it stands now for those occasions.
Yes! I’ve been lulled into carelessness because I have SO MANY multiple back up systems on my Mac: Time Machine, Blaze cloud, Carbon Copy Cloner. But I forget that Fractal is immune to that. I need to add another manual back up routine, say every Sunday or every night! Dang.

Back
Top Bottom