I despise UPS

gearjunkie

Inspired
So I ordered a matrix GT1000FX last Thursday. Paid for the UPS Express. Delivery date was Tuesday Dec 3. We had a snow storm on the Monday so it said it was delayed. Ok fine. Monday night yeah still arrived in Calgary. Delivery expected Tuesday before noon. Tuesday evening status adverse weather conditions delivery Wednesday before noon. Wednesday night status an "emergency condition beyond UPS's control" delivery expected Thursday before noon. Meanwhile I've seen UPS trucks driving around everyday. Thursday night status "package was missed and the UPS depot" delivery rescheduled for Friday before noon. Noon comes and goes so I phone. They will contact the local dispatch immediately and put in an "urgent ticket" and someone will call me back in an hour or less. 2 hours passed so far and no call and no sign of it. I really hate this company. It's not my first bad experience with them either. Just venting....

The thing to know in these weather situations is that once you are delayed then you're screwed. Lets say you had a scheduled delivery on a Monday but bad weather disrupted that.......well on Tuesday (assuming the weather is no longer an issue) they won't delay things that were already scheduled for Tuesday to make up for the missed Monday stuff, they just slowly start getting the Monday stuff out every day after. So some of the stuff delayed on Monday might make it out on Tuesday, then Wednesday, then Thursday and so on until it is all delivered. They have already taken the hit for Monday and had to eat the cost on anything that was a guaranteed delivery, that money is lost so they aren't worried about those packages anymore from a time perspective. Now they are worried about not losing money on the subsequent days, so they keep those deliveries on schedule and work the lost day in as much as they can without disrupting the current deliveries. I would assume FedEx does the same thing but I don't know for sure.

It took them about a week in a half to deliver my axe fx. I ordered a rack drawer. It was suppose to get here today, now apparently it'll get here next Wednesday.

I think it's really dependent on your local branch so to speak. I've always had good results with UPS, it's FedEx I had the most problems with, but that was only when I lived in Arkansas. Here in Dallas/Ft Worth TX, they have been good.

When I ordered my Axe FX II last spring, it arrived at the sort facility here in Calgary Friday morning @ 5am. I was excited as I have Fridays off and was hoping to get it by noon and have the rest of the day to play.......... I waited all god dam day as it also said on fractal site when ordering "signature required upon delivery" .... well finally around 7pm they show up and hand it to me and walk away...... I said don't I have to sign, he just smiled and said nope...... Wasted my entire day off waiting for nothing on top of that, what if he had taken it to the wrong house?

bunch of monkeys......

Status update as of Friday evening "missed at the facility" again. Are they that incompetent? (i believe its lost) And no one ever did call me back from the dispatch. I didn't figure they would. And scheduled for delivery Monday by noon...yeah we'll see. I doubt it.

I think it's really dependent on your local branch so to speak. I've always had good results with UPS, it's FedEx I had the most problems with, but that was only when I lived in Arkansas. Here in Dallas/Ft Worth TX, they have been good.

I would have to agree. I never had any issues until I moved to albuquerque.

Both carriers are hit and miss I have had good and bad luck with both in two different states. Ultimately it all boils down to the people doing his/her job all the through the delivery process and no one can control the wether. When I used to do a lot of buying across country I would look into wether to see if was going to be a problem. The other thing I would consider was christmas time of the year, that is when both carriers will higher on part timers to help with loading and shipping to deal with the extra volume.

It's hard to find a person that doesn't have a carrier horror story to tell.

They are bound to delay and damage your stuff, because of the simple fact that it is your stuff, not their stuff, and they will never care about your stuff the way you do. About your stuff. And stuff.

That being said, I am willing to cut them some slack, as long as they compensate me. That seems fair, no? I mean yeah, they may run into difficulties, but I am a paying customer and I expect them to keep their end of the deal. Whoever reaps the profits must also be held responsible and accountable for the damages.

I'm really lucky , my UPS guy is a guitarist and he knows I buy and flip gear all the time so ......by the grace of god
no problems yet and this is over a 10 year period.
god help me if they ever put him on another route. :(

Paraphrasing Churchill, UPS is the worst deliver service, except for all the others. FedEx delivered my packages to totally unrelated addresses, twice. I do not use FedEx since then. UPS will at least deliver where they're told to, eventually.

Yes, UPS once delivered a 2 piece Epiphone to me. They left the shredded box on my doorstep in the snow. Musicians Friend made it right, but I don't know how they could've done so much damage.

i'll agree with it depends on the branch. found ups to be one of the better ones around here.
some other couriers have been tripe though; one left an expensive item at some random property and put a note through my door saying where they left it. wtf... never gave permission for that

When I have items purchased, being delivered by Ups, I have them hold it at their depot. I pick it up there at my leisure insted of waiting for the driver to show..Look up the UPS location in your town in the phone book.Call them and tell them you are expecting the package. You should get a tracking number from the shipper when it was shipped and its route status . They will just put in their storage instead of reloading on the intown delivery truck.Take your ID with you to the depot.

When I have items purchased, being delivered by Ups, I have them hold it at their depot. I pick it up there at my leisure insted of waiting for the driver to show..Look up the UPS location in your town in the phone book.Call them and tell them you are expecting the package. You should get a tracking number from the shipper when it was shipped and its route status . They will just put in their storage instead of reloading on the intown delivery truck.Take your ID with you to the depot.

This is exactly what I do too.

It has only backfired once (well, not a total backfire), but I went to the FedEx location I had it delivered to.....not there. They said it 'was' there, but didn't know where it was now.
They sent me to another location (the Depot) and said it was there. I went there and waited an hour while they frantically looked around the warehouse. They did finally found it. But it was a good 2 hours out of my life that I would like back.
They don't seem to care when you spend $4k on a guitar.

For high end guitar purchases I hate having them shipped. I've been trying to hold off on buying high end guitars online. Instead I try to go to guitar shows where there are a hundred dealers with their prime axes.....buy and carry it home.

This is my plan if it doesn't show up tomorrow at noon (as scheduled) right after I call again.....

I've had really good luck with UPS where I live. My driver is excellent. I use UPS whenever I can.

With FedEx I've had one problem after another. There's been at least 4 times in which they've delivered to the wrong address. What's really sad is that I live in a town of about 500 people. The driver delivered to N. Main St. vs. S. Main St. There's a highway that runs E-W and divides the town in half (N. vs. S.). I also like the times where they've dropped a package off in the rain without bagging it.

Apparently they're on a roll over here. Package (sliding drawer) was suppose to arrive last Thursday. Ups said that they're experiencing some issues. They don't know when it'll get here. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom