I can't tell anymore.

electronpirate

Axe-Master
After using the stock UR IR's (in FW14), I sampled my Plexi, my AC30, the Fender Super, and the more high gain cock rock rock Marshall's, and you know what?

I can't fooking tell anymore. Real or memorex? The bounce, the grit, the bad playing, the low whine of tubes singing even when the vol knob is down.

I can't tell that it's not a physical tube amp. And the house is still able to sleep while I play.

Holy shit.

R

I was saying the same thing this morning to the bass player in one of the groups I play with. I've been playing on a Fractal for 7? years now- I have always thought I got great tone from from the axefx....but there is such a realism now, I just cant tell what is and isnt "real" anymore. I played the Double Verb this morning...with updated spring reverb (thanks Cliff) and UR ir and was simply blown away. Kept looking at my monitor wondering if it had 2x12's in it. The feel was so organic and the tone so .....what I wanted. Just outstanding.
Think I'll go play some more.

For my part, I knew that I would not go back to tube amps after I bought a Standard thinking I would use it with my Egnater MOD50, and 6 months later I looked and saw a layer of dust on my beloved Tube amp.

8 (ish) years later, there hasn't been a moment that I have even secretly longed for another amp. There is no finer tool for a guitarist. Fractal will I'm sure make improvements, but at this point, I cannot imagine any scenario that it will be at the level of excellence it's at now. The modeling was always very good, I had issues with IR's and presets (that I thought should be on par with any venue's backline), but now, the simplicity of dialing a sound is powerful and, EFFECTIVE. The dizzying array of UR IR's made it prohibitively daunting to scroll through all of them, or buy the aftermarket's. But just the ones supplied in FW14 cover so many sonic territories that the search is over.

R

Yeah, the Axe-Fx pretty much broke my standard methodology of "hear or imagine good tone -> try to dial in said tone with current rig -> said tone never ends up being good enough -> plot to figure out what gear would be best to get said tone -> start saving up and maybe buying gear -> repeat."

Now it's something closer to "hear or imagine good tone -> dial in exactly that tone in a few minutes -> spend a moment or two wondering what sorcery produced such a product -> play music/record for a while -> wonder what the hell to do with all this extra free time now."

I don't know what to do with myself anymore. Guess that's a pretty good problem to have, really.

It is crazy awesome right now. I remember thinking 10 was such a huge difference to everybody. And even now I feel like it had come such a long way from there. I'm sure fractal with raise the bar with something else soon too. Phenomenal unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom