I can't stop dialing in edge of breakup tones. It's a problem.

Every time I go to create a fresh preset with a new sound, it never fails that I just end up making an exact replica of my current go-to rig. It always ends up turning into a variant of an edge-of-breakup tone, just with different amp and cab combos. I'll spend an hour tweaking everything, just to be like, "well... this isn't different or new at all".

I needed a renewed sense of inspiration for a new sound. So like any rational person, I impulse bought a new guitar. Ibanez Prestige AZ2206S. MIJ, fairly rare to find, and only a limited US run.

This will surely get the juices flowing for some sort of neo-soul or Chon-esque vibes...right? We'll find out on Tuesday. I live in Minneapolis, someone come slap me if I dial in another EoB preset.

^^^ This, except no new guitar, sadly.

There's also a collection of my higher gain presets that I like in the moment, but later think they have no high end, or too much, or are just a mess generally.

Maybe I need to come back to this when I'm a grown-up. But if that hasn't happened by now...

Dude, it sounds like you're in a great place, tone-wise! You know what you want; I'd just take this as a great opportunity to get past tone altogether and explore different things in your playing if you're feeling you're at plateau! That to me is the big hurdle with so much tone at our fingertips.

Every time I go to create a fresh preset with a new sound, it never fails that I just end up making an exact replica of my current go-to rig. It always ends up turning into a variant of an edge-of-breakup tone, just with different amp and cab combos. I'll spend an hour tweaking everything, just to be like, "well... this isn't different or new at all".

I needed a renewed sense of inspiration for a new sound. So like any rational person, I impulse bought a new guitar. Ibanez Prestige AZ2206S. MIJ, fairly rare to find, and only a limited US run.

This will surely get the juices flowing for some sort of neo-soul or Chon-esque vibes...right? We'll find out on Tuesday. I live in Minneapolis, someone come slap me if I dial in another EoB preset.
Congrats on the new guitar! That was a very rational person decision. After getting the Axe, new guitars are the only GAS purchases we got left.

Could you post a link to that maker? I'm having trouble googling DeMarco guitars and finding it. And is that some kind of GK hex pickup between the bridge pickup and the trem? This thing is beautiful!
The maker is a small luthier lab near my town in Sicily that built the guitar to my own specs, he only has a facebook page, no website: https://www.facebook.com/liuteriademarco/

Yes that's a hex pickup but it's part of an Antares ATG luthier kit that I currently have installed in another guitar but I'll soon put it inside an external enclosure to be able to use it with more than one guitar.

Thanks for the compliments!

PS: initially I was going to buy parts from warmoth but a friend suggested me to check out with this luthier which, for roughly the same amount of money, built an instrument that's superior in every aspect to my other warmoth guitars and more customized.
Only downside the longer wait but it was definitely worth it.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons why I appreciate the factory presets and those shared by our fellow users on axe-change. If I need inspiration for something totally different than what I would dial in on my own, I simply pull up one of those presets and let it take my playing to a different place.

It is an excellent substitute for actual practice (which is what I really need to be doing).

a '59 Bassguy with a 4x12 AX GB is my most recent experiment. I just made an Orange-orientated setup with tons of comp for my future Ibanez endeavorer. It's like that's the recipe for Youtube fame. Ibanez AZ + compressor + maj7 chords

I had the twin channel AD30 I gigged for a few years and that was a great EoB amp.
Could dial in two distinct "edge of breakup" tones on each of the channels. Never sure
if I dialed in more edge or more breakup no each. I did love that amp, though. :)

Back
Top Bottom